Old 30-05-2017, 12:28 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default OT - new weed

Posted as OT but r.gardens got no response. So maybe help here.

Weed invading banks in back of house. This one crowding out vinca
minor. About yard long, budding, stickers around leaves. Pulls easily
with long thin root. Put through Google images and it says wood and
picture of bank comes back as grass.

https://i.imgur.com/bb03NHG.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Jfi4J7l.jpg
Old 30-05-2017, 05:51 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Frank wrote:

Posted as OT but r.gardens got no response. So maybe help here.

Weed invading banks in back of house. This one crowding out vinca
minor. About yard long, budding, stickers around leaves. Pulls easily
with long thin root. Put through Google images and it says wood and
picture of bank comes back as grass.

https://i.imgur.com/bb03NHG.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Jfi4J7l.jpg

i saw your post there but have no id for
it, just that it seems simlar to a weed
we see here too, but i always pull any that
shows up since we don't really need any more
invasive weed problems.

unfortunately i'm horrible at plant id
unless i have studied the plant in question
enough for it to stick in my noodle.

songbird
Old 30-05-2017, 01:34 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 5/29/2017 11:51 PM, songbird wrote:
Frank wrote:

Posted as OT but r.gardens got no response. So maybe help here.

Weed invading banks in back of house. This one crowding out vinca
minor. About yard long, budding, stickers around leaves. Pulls easily
with long thin root. Put through Google images and it says wood and
picture of bank comes back as grass.

https://i.imgur.com/bb03NHG.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Jfi4J7l.jpg

i saw your post there but have no id for
it, just that it seems simlar to a weed
we see here too, but i always pull any that
shows up since we don't really need any more
invasive weed problems.

unfortunately i'm horrible at plant id
unless i have studied the plant in question
enough for it to stick in my noodle.

songbird

Thanks for the look. I think it was you that identified Japanese stilt
grass for me a few years ago.

My wife wants to know what it is but I don't think that would help as
only solution may be to pull it. Like the stilt grass it looks like an
annual and may respond to pre emergent next year.
Old 30-05-2017, 02:48 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Frank wrote:
Thanks for the look. I think it was you that identified Japanese stilt
grass for me a few years ago.

not too likely... one of the geniuses here
did that.

My wife wants to know what it is but I don't think that would help as
only solution may be to pull it. Like the stilt grass it looks like an
annual and may respond to pre emergent next year.

you will certainly want to get it chopped
and raked up before it drops seeds if you can
as that will help prevent it spreading. i'm
having to do that now with some grasses
before they drop seeds and i have a much worse
problem next season.

sow thistle and the other purple flowering
globe thistle are a pest here for me along with
a few other plants and all grasses i would
happily get rid of, but we still have some bits
of lawn that get mowed. they actually create
more work for me having to weed them out if i
could get rid of all the lawn, but i'm not to
that point yet here (i'd probably have to be
the owner instead of just helping out ).
ah well, i can dream right?...

songbird
Old 30-05-2017, 02:50 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Frank wrote:
My wife wants to know what it is but I don't think that would help as
only solution may be to pull it. Like the stilt grass it looks like an
annual and may respond to pre emergent next year.

p.s. we have thyme we use as a ground cover.
there are a few different kinds, but they seem
to do well at helping keep other weeds down.
they do need to be weeded, but i'd rather weed
than mow any time. i'm hoping to start taking
starts and spreading them around the edges of
the grassy areas so they can take over. i just
need to somehow get Mum to mow a little higher.

songbird

Old 30-05-2017, 03:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 5/30/2017 8:50 AM, songbird wrote:
Frank wrote:
My wife wants to know what it is but I don't think that would help as
only solution may be to pull it. Like the stilt grass it looks like an
annual and may respond to pre emergent next year.

p.s. we have thyme we use as a ground cover.
there are a few different kinds, but they seem
to do well at helping keep other weeds down.
they do need to be weeded, but i'd rather weed
than mow any time. i'm hoping to start taking
starts and spreading them around the edges of
the grassy areas so they can take over. i just
need to somehow get Mum to mow a little higher.

songbird

Deer are a big problem. They eat things like ivy, crown vetch and
hostas. Unfortunately they do not eat these weeds. Lot of my neighbors
have abandoned their back yards, very hilly lots, and let nature take
over but my wife wants to keep it tame.
Old 30-05-2017, 06:17 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Frank wrote:
My wife wants to know what it is but I don't think that would help as
only solution may be to pull it. Like the stilt grass it looks like an
annual and may respond to pre emergent next year.

p.s. we have thyme we use as a ground cover.
there are a few different kinds, but they seem
to do well at helping keep other weeds down.
they do need to be weeded, but i'd rather weed
than mow any time. i'm hoping to start taking
starts and spreading them around the edges of
the grassy areas so they can take over. i just
need to somehow get Mum to mow a little higher.

songbird

Deer are a big problem. They eat things like ivy, crown vetch and
hostas. Unfortunately they do not eat these weeds. Lot of my neighbors
have abandoned their back yards, very hilly lots, and let nature take
over but my wife wants to keep it tame.

r.gardens gave this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galium_aparine
Definitely in that family.

Frank
Old 30-05-2017, 06:20 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Frank wrote:
Deer are a big problem. They eat things like ivy, crown vetch and
hostas. Unfortunately they do not eat these weeds. Lot of my neighbors
have abandoned their back yards, very hilly lots, and let nature take
over but my wife wants to keep it tame.

we have deer, rabbits, raccoons, and woodchucks
aplenty. one reason we keep an 8ft fence around
the veggie garden patches (which only keep the deer
out, it doesn't keep the rest out). we never even
bother trying to grow sweet corn because the
racoonians tend to get it.

the deer don't seem to go after the thyme at
all (at least i've not seen any signs of them
pawing at it or chewing on it).

once in a while we grab a few extra ground
cover plants from the greenhouse to see if they'll
survive our soils/conditions/critters.

last season i put in some Sandwort which is
now flowering and i'm hoping it will survive
where i've got it started. as usual it will
take a few years to know how it really does.

www.anthive.com/project/mixed-flowers/

songbird
Old 30-05-2017, 08:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 5/30/2017 11:20 AM, songbird wrote:
Frank wrote:
[...]

Sounds to me you would never have to go to the butcher with all that
meat running around. I have recipes for nearly all of those critters. G

Lonely George, wife due back home tomorrow evening, even the dog misses her.
Old 31-05-2017, 01:46 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

George Shirley wrote:
Sounds to me you would never have to go to the butcher with all that
meat running around. I have recipes for nearly all of those critters. G

if you were here to hunt and clean them i'd
try them. not much into hunting or cleaning
critters myself.

Lonely George, wife due back home tomorrow evening, even the dog misses her.

re-reading a good book can help the time go
by. cooking something complicated can be
another way to go.

when i have extra time i should be getting
some old papers sorted through and shred the
junk. as you can see, it rarely happens.

songbird

Old 31-05-2017, 04:29 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 5/30/2017 6:46 PM, songbird wrote:
George Shirley wrote:
Sounds to me you would never have to go to the butcher with all that
meat running around. I have recipes for nearly all of those critters. G

if you were here to hunt and clean them i'd
try them. not much into hunting or cleaning
critters myself.

Lonely George, wife due back home tomorrow evening, even the dog misses her.

re-reading a good book can help the time go
by. cooking something complicated can be
another way to go.

when i have extra time i should be getting
some old papers sorted through and shred the
junk. as you can see, it rarely happens.

songbird

I check out from five to ten library books every other week Bird. Big
sister taught me to read and write when I was barely five and got hooked
on scifi as a young teen. Still at it a lot of years later. Plus Harris
Cty, Texas has a a library system that is outstanding.

Our Lady is going to be home again tomorrow afternoon, the dog and I
will do a happy dance when she's here. I even cleaned everything up
today, wasn't very dirty anyway. One old man and an old dog, don't make
a mess except we both shed hair. G