#1   Report Post  
Old 01-06-2017, 05:22 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jan 2015
Posts: 882
Default radish

Hi all,

I am super pleased with my radishes this year. They are
now too big for the earwigs to hassle with. I didn't
look for two days and they have doubled in size! Yippee!
Something I can't kill!

Questions:

1) how will I know when they can be harvested?

2) can I leave them in the ground and harvest them
at different times to keep them from spoiling?

Many thanks,
-T



  #2   Report Post  
Old 01-06-2017, 12:42 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: May 2014
Posts: 851
Default radish

On 5/31/2017 11:22 PM, T wrote:
Hi all,

I am super pleased with my radishes this year. They are
now too big for the earwigs to hassle with. I didn't
look for two days and they have doubled in size! Yippee!
Something I can't kill!

Questions:

1) how will I know when they can be harvested?

2) can I leave them in the ground and harvest them
at different times to keep them from spoiling?

Many thanks,
-T


Radishes in my area just keep getting bigger and hotter until they start
splitting until I pull them and put them in the composter. It all
depends on your climate.

George, up early to feed the [email protected]#$% dawg
  #3   Report Post  
Old 01-06-2017, 01:56 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,815
Default radish

T wrote:

I am super pleased with my radishes this year. They are
now too big for the earwigs to hassle with. I didn't
look for two days and they have doubled in size! Yippee!
Something I can't kill!


they really are one of the easiest veggies to
grow.


Questions:

1) how will I know when they can be harvested?


i like the young sprouts better than the root
so for me it is "immediately". all thinnings
are yummy.


2) can I leave them in the ground and harvest them
at different times to keep them from spoiling?


in your heat/climate i suspect they'll bolt or
crisp eventually. the flowers are nice and there's
no downside to me in having wild radishes as a weed
substitute.


songbird
  #4   Report Post  
Old 01-06-2017, 02:14 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Sep 2012
Posts: 662
Default radish

On 6/1/2017 6:42 AM, George Shirley wrote:
On 5/31/2017 11:22 PM, T wrote:
Hi all,

I am super pleased with my radishes this year. They are
now too big for the earwigs to hassle with. I didn't
look for two days and they have doubled in size! Yippee!
Something I can't kill!

Questions:

1) how will I know when they can be harvested?

2) can I leave them in the ground and harvest them
at different times to keep them from spoiling?

Many thanks,
-T


Radishes in my area just keep getting bigger and hotter until they
start splitting until I pull them and put them in the composter. It
all depends on your climate.

George, up early to feed the [email protected]#$% dawg


Max has a demand feeder ... but every morning around 6:30 he gets me
up to make the coffee . We walk while it brews , he gets some in a bowl
with milk then he goes outside on his lead - usually after a friendly
game of tug .

This morning while we were walking I found a volunteer squash (I
think) in an unexpected spot - nowhere near the garden . It's not in the
way and I'm interested in just what it is , so I'll leave it there .

--

Snag

  #5   Report Post  
Old 01-06-2017, 02:53 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: May 2014
Posts: 851
Default radish

On 6/1/2017 8:14 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
On 6/1/2017 6:42 AM, George Shirley wrote:
On 5/31/2017 11:22 PM, T wrote:
Hi all,

I am super pleased with my radishes this year. They are
now too big for the earwigs to hassle with. I didn't
look for two days and they have doubled in size! Yippee!
Something I can't kill!

Questions:

1) how will I know when they can be harvested?

2) can I leave them in the ground and harvest them
at different times to keep them from spoiling?

Many thanks,
-T


Radishes in my area just keep getting bigger and hotter until they
start splitting until I pull them and put them in the composter. It
all depends on your climate.

George, up early to feed the [email protected]#$% dawg


Max has a demand feeder ... but every morning around 6:30 he gets me
up to make the coffee . We walk while it brews , he gets some in a bowl
with milk then he goes outside on his lead - usually after a friendly
game of tug .

This morning while we were walking I found a volunteer squash (I
think) in an unexpected spot - nowhere near the garden . It's not in the
way and I'm interested in just what it is , so I'll leave it there .

--

Snag

Probably a bird drop Snag. When we lived on the farm it was not unusual
to find something sprouting where we didn't put it. Birds or mice will
plant for you if they don't eat all the seeds.

Tilly Dawg is only allowed one third of a cup of dog food by vet's
demand. Consequently, being a rescue dog, she thinks she's starving to
death all the time. Eat a meal and she stands where she can see you
eating and has her head down and is seriously thinking of taking your
food away from you. Still, in all my 77 years she has been the best dog
I've ever had. I swear, if she could talk, she would use perfect
English. I can have her moving just by hand signals, and she stops when
I cut my throat with my hand.

George


  #6   Report Post  
Old 01-06-2017, 03:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Apr 2017
Posts: 5
Default radish

On Wed, 31 May 2017 21:22:32 -0700, T wrote:

Hi all,

I am super pleased with my radishes this year. They are
now too big for the earwigs to hassle with. I didn't
look for two days and they have doubled in size! Yippee!
Something I can't kill!

Questions:

1) how will I know when they can be harvested?


Some of this depends on what kind of radishes you have planted, but
generally, their tops will pop up right at or slightly above the soil
line. You can get an idea of size by feel at that point. I mention
feel, as there are some I like to pull young - say, small, French
b'fast ones, and other I allow to get larger to develop more fully.
The trick is not allowing them to get woody. Pick 'em young enough
that they are crisp and juicy. It will not take you more than a couple
of days of experimenting to get to know what your preferences are.

Mine mature at different times, so I cannot pick a whole row at once
(I actually grow them in tubs. They do very well there as it is easy
to keep the soil friable.) I just feel around the bulbous part that is
sticking up to gauge the size to be what I seek, then pick it, or
leave it..

2) can I leave them in the ground and harvest them
at different times to keep them from spoiling?



Nature helps with that somewhat, but they don't like hanging around
overly long like carrots, beets, or horseradish - at least not the
good eating radishes.




  #7   Report Post  
Old 01-06-2017, 08:32 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Sep 2012
Posts: 662
Default radish

On 6/1/2017 8:53 AM, George Shirley wrote:
On 6/1/2017 8:14 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
On 6/1/2017 6:42 AM, George Shirley wrote:
On 5/31/2017 11:22 PM, T wrote:
Hi all,

I am super pleased with my radishes this year. They are
now too big for the earwigs to hassle with. I didn't
look for two days and they have doubled in size! Yippee!
Something I can't kill!

Questions:

1) how will I know when they can be harvested?

2) can I leave them in the ground and harvest them
at different times to keep them from spoiling?

Many thanks,
-T


Radishes in my area just keep getting bigger and hotter until they
start splitting until I pull them and put them in the composter. It
all depends on your climate.

George, up early to feed the [email protected]#$% dawg


Max has a demand feeder ... but every morning around 6:30 he gets
me up to make the coffee . We walk while it brews , he gets some in a
bowl with milk then he goes outside on his lead - usually after a
friendly game of tug .

This morning while we were walking I found a volunteer squash (I
think) in an unexpected spot - nowhere near the garden . It's not in
the way and I'm interested in just what it is , so I'll leave it there .

--

Snag

Probably a bird drop Snag. When we lived on the farm it was not
unusual to find something sprouting where we didn't put it. Birds or
mice will plant for you if they don't eat all the seeds.

Tilly Dawg is only allowed one third of a cup of dog food by vet's
demand. Consequently, being a rescue dog, she thinks she's starving to
death all the time. Eat a meal and she stands where she can see you
eating and has her head down and is seriously thinking of taking your
food away from you. Still, in all my 77 years she has been the best
dog I've ever had. I swear, if she could talk, she would use perfect
English. I can have her moving just by hand signals, and she stops
when I cut my throat with my hand.

George


Awesome , I hope to get Max to obey hand signals too . It's an uphill
battle with this pup , he's almost as bullheaded as I am ... and as big
as he is (10 mo old and around 80 lbs) it's very important that he minds
, whether by hand or voice command .

Looks like good germination on my field peas and okra , A few small
bare spots from where something dug in the rows , but I have seed to
replant . I still have a corner that has nothing planted , I'm
considering some corn . The wife can't eat commercial corn products ,
I'm wondering if it's the Roundup they douse it with ... homegrown
without chemicals might agree with her system .

--

Snag

  #8   Report Post  
Old 01-06-2017, 09:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: May 2014
Posts: 851
Default radish

On 6/1/2017 2:32 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
On 6/1/2017 8:53 AM, George Shirley wrote:
On 6/1/2017 8:14 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
On 6/1/2017 6:42 AM, George Shirley wrote:
On 5/31/2017 11:22 PM, T wrote:
Hi all,

I am super pleased with my radishes this year. They are
now too big for the earwigs to hassle with. I didn't
look for two days and they have doubled in size! Yippee!
Something I can't kill!

Questions:

1) how will I know when they can be harvested?

2) can I leave them in the ground and harvest them
at different times to keep them from spoiling?

Many thanks,
-T


Radishes in my area just keep getting bigger and hotter until they
start splitting until I pull them and put them in the composter. It
all depends on your climate.

George, up early to feed the [email protected]#$% dawg

Max has a demand feeder ... but every morning around 6:30 he gets
me up to make the coffee . We walk while it brews , he gets some in a
bowl with milk then he goes outside on his lead - usually after a
friendly game of tug .

This morning while we were walking I found a volunteer squash (I
think) in an unexpected spot - nowhere near the garden . It's not in
the way and I'm interested in just what it is , so I'll leave it there .

--

Snag

Probably a bird drop Snag. When we lived on the farm it was not
unusual to find something sprouting where we didn't put it. Birds or
mice will plant for you if they don't eat all the seeds.

Tilly Dawg is only allowed one third of a cup of dog food by vet's
demand. Consequently, being a rescue dog, she thinks she's starving to
death all the time. Eat a meal and she stands where she can see you
eating and has her head down and is seriously thinking of taking your
food away from you. Still, in all my 77 years she has been the best
dog I've ever had. I swear, if she could talk, she would use perfect
English. I can have her moving just by hand signals, and she stops
when I cut my throat with my hand.

George


Awesome , I hope to get Max to obey hand signals too . It's an uphill
battle with this pup , he's almost as bullheaded as I am ... and as big
as he is (10 mo old and around 80 lbs) it's very important that he minds
, whether by hand or voice command .

Looks like good germination on my field peas and okra , A few small
bare spots from where something dug in the rows , but I have seed to
replant . I still have a corner that has nothing planted , I'm
considering some corn . The wife can't eat commercial corn products ,
I'm wondering if it's the Roundup they douse it with ... homegrown
without chemicals might agree with her system .

--

Snag

I started Tilly as a young pup, I've found over the years that most
terrier breeds are really smart. Tilly is my second rat terrier and, no
doubt, the smartest dog I've ever had. She follows hand signals well,
and she also seems to understand voice commands. If she starts to do
something she shouldn't I just say "NO" and she stops. I think she knows
every word that contains something to eat. She will stand in front of me
with her head down and her eyes on me eating. I suspect in hope either I
will drop some food or I will fall over dead and then she can eat. G

I'm in my office and she came in after me and got up on her couch to
keep and eye on me. She also loves my kids, grands, and great grands
and, when I tick her off, she goes to sit by my wife of 57 years and
looks at me with an eye to see if I'm jealous. We have a great
granddaughter who has problems but she will come over to Tilly and tell
her "Give me a smooch." And Tilly licks her nose and then they both grin.

We're getting scattered rain but it is still close to 90F out there.

George
  #9   Report Post  
Old 02-06-2017, 08:01 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jan 2015
Posts: 882
Default radish

On 06/01/2017 05:56 AM, songbird wrote:
i like the young sprouts better than the root
so for me it is "immediately". all thinnings
are yummy.


I picked up my thinnings based on your comments.
My wife absolute adores them in her salads.

Thank you!
  #10   Report Post  
Old 02-06-2017, 11:14 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jan 2015
Posts: 882
Default radish

On 06/01/2017 07:58 AM, Boron wrote:
On Wed, 31 May 2017 21:22:32 -0700, T wrote:

Hi all,

I am super pleased with my radishes this year. They are
now too big for the earwigs to hassle with. I didn't
look for two days and they have doubled in size! Yippee!
Something I can't kill!

Questions:

1) how will I know when they can be harvested?


Some of this depends on what kind of radishes you have planted, but
generally, their tops will pop up right at or slightly above the soil
line. You can get an idea of size by feel at that point. I mention
feel, as there are some I like to pull young - say, small, French
b'fast ones, and other I allow to get larger to develop more fully.
The trick is not allowing them to get woody. Pick 'em young enough
that they are crisp and juicy. It will not take you more than a couple
of days of experimenting to get to know what your preferences are.

Mine mature at different times, so I cannot pick a whole row at once
(I actually grow them in tubs. They do very well there as it is easy
to keep the soil friable.) I just feel around the bulbous part that is
sticking up to gauge the size to be what I seek, then pick it, or
leave it..

2) can I leave them in the ground and harvest them
at different times to keep them from spoiling?



Nature helps with that somewhat, but they don't like hanging around
overly long like carrots, beets, or horseradish - at least not the
good eating radishes.



Thank you!



  #11   Report Post  
Old 03-06-2017, 01:54 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,815
Default radish

T wrote:
....
I picked up my thinnings based on your comments.
My wife absolute adores them in her salads.


it's a nice zip when the leaves are young.
i've not eaten them past the sprout stage.

beet greens and chard are good too and go
much longer.

i'm not sure how oxyalates and diabetes may
interact. i'd do some reading before eating too
much of spinach, rhubarb or the chard and beet
greens (and then tread gingerly).


songbird
  #12   Report Post  
Old 05-06-2017, 12:02 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jan 2015
Posts: 882
Default radish

On 06/03/2017 05:54 AM, songbird wrote:
oxyalates and diabetes


Not a diabetes problem at all. But high oxyalates
do tend to mess up both our mouths, so we
tend to avoid them.

My wife check the nutrition on those guys versus
regular lettuce (not iceburg). Lettuce has about
half the nutrition. A good excuse to eat twice
as much!
  #13   Report Post  
Old 05-06-2017, 12:04 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jan 2015
Posts: 882
Default radish

On 06/04/2017 04:02 PM, T wrote:
On 06/03/2017 05:54 AM, songbird wrote:
oxyalates and diabetes


Not a diabetes problem at all. But high oxyalates
do tend to mess up both our mouths, so we
tend to avoid them.

My wife check the nutrition on those guys versus
regular lettuce (not iceburg). Lettuce has about
half the nutrition. A good excuse to eat twice
as much!


Ever since the Primal, lettuce (not iceburg) has tasted
yummy to both of us. Before primal, it was yukky.

We usually have at least one YUGE salad a day.


Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
radish bursted-- too long in ground? DigitalVinyl Edible Gardening 2 07-06-2003 08:32 AM
Growing radish Sue Gardening 2 15-05-2003 11:08 PM
harvesting radish seeds Tom Elliott Australia 4 05-04-2003 06:34 AM
radish for all seasons John Savage Australia 1 01-04-2003 01:32 PM
Chinese or Japanese Icicle Radish Paul England United Kingdom 4 27-01-2003 02:32 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:13 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2019 GardenBanter.co.uk.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Gardening"

 

Copyright © 2017