Old 24-06-2017, 09:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Reached My (Strawberry) Limit

It looks like the major strawberry season is over. I went out this morning and only found four berries. However, that was just enough to give me nine pounds in the freezer; I'll thaw them in a few days to start a batch of strawberry Champagne.

A good portion of the crop was diverted to use in various deserts. My wife has already laid claim to next year's crop to make jam/jelly/preserves.

Paul
Old 24-06-2017, 11:23 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 6/24/2017 2:30 PM, Pavel314 wrote:
It looks like the major strawberry season is over. I went out this morning and only found four berries. However, that was just enough to give me nine pounds in the freezer; I'll thaw them in a few days to start a batch of strawberry Champagne.

A good portion of the crop was diverted to use in various deserts. My wife has already laid claim to next year's crop to make jam/jelly/preserves.

Paul

My wife likes strawberries, I don't. We gave up growing them at this new
house because the !@#$% Mockingbirds get them all eaten by daylight. Now
we're fighting the mockers for the figs. They will also peck a tomato
but then they don't eat it.

Unfortunately they are a protected bird in Texas. Hopefully I can start
sniping them below where anyone can see them falling behind the fence.
BSEG.

We had a wee rain today and hope for more. Was out at dusk yesterday and
the purple martins and the barn swallow were snatching mosquitoes out of
the air all the way to full dark. I do like those skeeter eaters being
here. The subdivision holding pond is behind our house by about a
hundred feet but we don't have many mosqsuitoes, thanks to the martins
and swallows. Not to mention the many frogs in the pond.

George
Old 25-06-2017, 05:16 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Saturday, June 24, 2017 at 5:23:46 PM UTC-4, George Shirley wrote:
[...]

We have six barn cats who hang around the garden area so we don't have a lot of problems with birds and small rodents.

Paul
Old 25-06-2017, 03:28 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Pavel314 wrote:
It looks like the major strawberry season is over. I went out this morning and only found four berries. However, that was just enough to give me nine pounds in the freezer; I'll thaw them in a few days to start a batch of strawberry Champagne.

i'm not sure what my actual limit is but for
freezer jam it is about 24 pints, plus all we
can eat for shortcakes.

this season was scant for me. 9 pints of jam
(3 rather weak in color as i used the more ripe
ones for faux-shortcakes). 1 pint of smushed
berries for shortcake sometime this winter.
local berries are pretty expensive this season.

A good portion of the crop was diverted to use in various deserts. My wife has already laid claim to next year's crop to make jam/jelly/preserves.

that is what happens here too. eat fresh first
and then whatever is left goes to jam or frozen
crushed berries for winter shortcakes. i'm not
much into drinking so nothing goes that direction
but i've wanted to make syrup sometime and see
how that fares.

songbird
Old 25-06-2017, 03:33 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Pavel314 wrote:
It looks like the major strawberry season is over. I went out this morning and only found four berries. However, that was just enough to give me nine pounds in the freezer; I'll thaw them in a few days to start a batch of strawberry Champagne.

oh, forgot to ask how large an area(s) you are
using? i have about 250sq ft inside a fenced area
i've been using - half that space was just put in
last year and did very well this year. the other
half needs to be turned under and amended again
and then replanted. a todo item on the list that
is hard to get to this time of the season for me.

i have two other areas outside the fence which
can produce a lot some years, but this year wasn't
one of them. the deer discovered them during a
spell of heavy snows early in the season and since
then they've been regularly mowing them down. we
need to fix the fence out back which usually kept
the deer from having an easy path in. now that
they know the yummy plants are i suspect a fence
won't do much good (they'll go around). i'm not
ready to fence the whole yard...

wish there were wolves around.

songbird

Old 25-06-2017, 09:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sunday, June 25, 2017 at 9:33:34 AM UTC-4, songbird wrote:
Pavel314 wrote:
[...]

The vegetable garden, tended by my wife, is about 50' by 30', 1,500 square feet.

The pumpkin patch, my responsibility, is adjacent to that and is 25' by 30', giving 750 square feet.

The strawberry patch, again mine and out by the vineyard, is the old asparagus bed and is 16' by 3' for 48 square feet. I planted 25 ever bearing and 20 June bearing last year, so this is our first strawberry crop. My wife moved the asparagus to a row in her vegetable garden a few years back so I thought I'd try strawberries to get some use out of it. Tried raspberries and blueberries but had no luck at all with either.

If the deer ever started bothering the garden, I'd sit out on the laundry room roof with the crossbow and harvest some venison.

Paul

Avocado reached the roof. chris French United Kingdom 21 29-08-2010 09:46 PM
Pole beans have reached the top Michael Gardening 2 22-07-2004 02:02 PM
CONSENSUS REACHED ON VOLUNTARY STANDARD FOR LABELLING OF GENETICALLY ENGINEERED FOODS David Kendra sci.agriculture 0 16-09-2003 04:06 AM
Lily limit in pond? Fred Ponds 5 24-04-2003 09:32 PM
UV sterilizer: will it help limit surface scum? BruceKGeist Freshwater Aquaria Plants 3 20-04-2003 07:12 AM