Old 25-06-2017, 11:51 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Garlic scapes

We like garlic, use a lot and always grew more than we could use.
This year we cut back to about 120 feet of row from the 200 feet of
years past. Also, in years past we've grown as many as 26 different
hard-neck varieties but this year it's only about 18.
That brings me to the subject of scapes. With the many different
garlic varieties there comes different scapes harvest times. I guess I
should really say scapes removal, rather than harvest and yesterday I
removed about another 2-1/2 pounds of scapes.
I don't say harvest because in years past, we've tried grilling
scapes, using them in stir fries, pickling them, etc. But, a few years
back we both came to the conclusion that the best use for garlic
scapes was gently placing them into the compost pile .
I seem to say 'in years past' quite often but, that's probably because
there is a lot of years in the past. I'm 83 this year but with a few
health issues it's my wonderful, hard working wife who does most of
the gardening. Then again, she's just a kid of 76.
Best wishes to you followers of r.g.e.
Ross.
Southern Ontario, Canada
Old 26-06-2017, 12:30 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sun, 25 Jun 2017 17:51:33 -0400, wrote:

[...]

Nice to see some of the earlier posters. Hope you stay.

I have been out since the latter part of August. I fell an broke a
wrist and a leg. About the time it was healed I did it again on the
other leg. Came home from re-hab yesterday. Since I am not allowed
to do very much (grin) I will probably spend lots of time here.

Susan Ness
--
USA
North Carolina Foothills
Old 26-06-2017, 12:59 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 6/25/2017 5:30 PM, The Cook wrote:
[...]

Longtime no see Susan. Had wondered where you were. Don't feel bad about
not being allowed to do very much. Miz Anne does all the gardening and
mowing. I cook, clean, wash clothes, etc. Mostly due to dragging my
right leg from the many strokes on my right side years ago. I use a cane
most of the time and, sometimes, just hang onto the wall nearest me. G

We still have Tilly Dawg, she turned 10 years old last month and, like
me, sleeps a lot. Miz Anne still takes Tilly on a daily walk, sometimes
they just turn around and come home as one or the other is to tired to
go any further.

We're back living in Houston area, specifically on the far outskirts of
The Woodlands on one side and Tomball the other side. Our kids, grands,
and great grands live nearby. Our eldest great granddaughter will soon
be out of high school and is courting already. G

We miss our long time friends in Louisiana but the two hour one way
drive was starting to wear on us so we sold out and moved. I was
astonished how much moola we got for our old house in Louisiana and were
able to just buy this somewhat smaller house for cash. Over the last
five years here we've turned it into what we feel like is our last home
before the darkness falls. Miz Anne caught up with me in May and now
we're both 77 years old and, sometimes, we feel it. Good to hear from
you again.

George, Miz Anne, and Tilly Dawg
Old 26-06-2017, 05:59 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 06/25/2017 02:51 PM, wrote:
[...]

I live for scapes!

I use them in anything that garlic is called out for.
And since they hit before the bulbs, they
get me through till the bulbs ready for harvest.

I have even thrown them into salads and forced them under
chicken skins. And yes, ate a few raw. I sure smelled
pretty for a day!

Garlic - garlic.jpg Ann Garden Photos 2 03-04-2008 12:31 PM
Scapes! :D Steve Calvin Edible Gardening 2 27-05-2007 06:29 PM
Tough scapes Bill Edible Gardening 4 13-06-2004 01:03 AM
scapes IC_Gardener Edible Gardening 6 04-06-2003 05:08 PM
Wild garlic Chris Hogg United Kingdom 0 30-03-2003 03:33 AM