Old 12-07-2017, 04:34 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Got me a mystery plant

Hi All,

I just got back in from watering the children. I got me
a mystery plant. It is one of those 1/2 price, late in
the season close out plants (they can grow at the store
or in my garden, I don't care).

The tag said "lemon cucumber". I seems to love my ground
pots, so I picked up three more at 1/2 price. Then
I started to have a good look. The first one had leaves
four times the size of the other three, and it had a
very zuke looking flower on it. HMMMMMMMMM. It will
be fun to see what it really is when it fruits.

:-)

-T
Old 12-07-2017, 04:37 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 7/11/2017 10:34 PM, T wrote:
Hi All,

I just got back in from watering the children. I got me
a mystery plant. It is one of those 1/2 price, late in
the season close out plants (they can grow at the store
or in my garden, I don't care).

The tag said "lemon cucumber". I seems to love my ground
pots, so I picked up three more at 1/2 price. Then
I started to have a good look. The first one had leaves
four times the size of the other three, and it had a
very zuke looking flower on it. HMMMMMMMMM. It will
be fun to see what it really is when it fruits.

:-)

-T

We grew some of those a couple years ago.

--
Maggie
Old 12-07-2017, 07:34 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 07/11/2017 08:37 PM, Muggles wrote:
On 7/11/2017 10:34 PM, T wrote:
Hi All,

I just got back in from watering the children. I got me
a mystery plant. It is one of those 1/2 price, late in
the season close out plants (they can grow at the store
or in my garden, I don't care).

The tag said "lemon cucumber". I seems to love my ground
pots, so I picked up three more at 1/2 price. Then
I started to have a good look. The first one had leaves
four times the size of the other three, and it had a
very zuke looking flower on it. HMMMMMMMMM. It will
be fun to see what it really is when it fruits.

:-)

-T

We grew some of those a couple years ago.

Curiosity is killing me!
Old 12-07-2017, 03:49 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 7/11/2017 10:34 PM, T wrote:
Hi All,

I just got back in from watering the children. I got me
a mystery plant. It is one of those 1/2 price, late in
the season close out plants (they can grow at the store
or in my garden, I don't care).

The tag said "lemon cucumber". I seems to love my ground
pots, so I picked up three more at 1/2 price. Then
I started to have a good look. The first one had leaves
four times the size of the other three, and it had a
very zuke looking flower on it. HMMMMMMMMM. It will
be fun to see what it really is when it fruits.

:-)

-T

We grew some of those a couple years ago.

Curiosity is killing me!

They grow lemon shaped cucumbers vs. the long slender type cukes. I
guess they were tasty enough. LOL I'm thinking, if my memory serves me,
the flavor wasn't bitter and the ones we harvested were very crunchy, too.

--
Maggie
Old 12-07-2017, 04:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

T wrote:
The tag said "lemon cucumber". I seems to love my ground
pots, so I picked up three more at 1/2 price. Then
I started to have a good look. The first one had leaves
four times the size of the other three, and it had a
very zuke looking flower on it. HMMMMMMMMM. It will
be fun to see what it really is when it fruits.

people sometimes don't know what they're
doing and give plants the wrong tags or they
plant the wrong seeds or even people when
they shop mixing up tags.

mom brought home "lemon thyme" last summer
but it sure wasn't that as i know what that
looks/smells like. doesn't matter, it was
freeish...

enjoy!

songbird

Old 12-07-2017, 08:14 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 7/11/2017 10:34 PM, T wrote:
[...]

I managed to get a few two years ago. They are incredibly good eating.
last year's all failed. I just eat them straight. I can't bear to
mix them with other stuff. They have small stickers that rub right off.
Old 12-07-2017, 08:15 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 07/12/2017 08:11 AM, songbird wrote:
T wrote:
The tag said "lemon cucumber". I seems to love my ground
pots, so I picked up three more at 1/2 price. Then
I started to have a good look. The first one had leaves
four times the size of the other three, and it had a
very zuke looking flower on it. HMMMMMMMMM. It will
be fun to see what it really is when it fruits.

people sometimes don't know what they're
doing and give plants the wrong tags or they
plant the wrong seeds or even people when
they shop mixing up tags.

mom brought home "lemon thyme" last summer
but it sure wasn't that as i know what that
looks/smells like. doesn't matter, it was
freeish...

enjoy!

songbird

I can't wait to see what it really is. :-)
Old 12-07-2017, 09:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 7/11/2017 10:34 PM, T wrote:
[...]

I've got a couple of different cucumbers planted thus far, and the hot
weather is making them grow like crazy. Lots of blooms right now, and my
climbing lima beans have gone weed-like crazy, too! I'm seeing blooms on
them, so, hopefully I'll get some pods. The last time I grew climbing
limas I ended up just eating the raw beans right out of the pods!

I've got 3 other type climbing peas/beans and I'm just letting them go
nuts. Who knows, it may be my best crop yet! lol

--
Maggie
Old 12-07-2017, 11:59 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 7/11/2017 10:34 PM, T wrote:
[...]

My field peas are starting to run , the cukes/zukes/squashes are all
going nutz with blossoms . Too bad they're all male flowers ... 'maters
are starting to set fruit now too , it won't be long until the Mrs. and
I have some canning to do . Actually I prefer to freeze tomatoes whole
in the skin , but freezer space is limited .

--

Snag

Old 13-07-2017, 12:19 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 7/11/2017 10:34 PM, T wrote:
[...]

Green beans did diddly this year, I suspect old seeds. Tomatoes are
still putting out a few fruit as are the sweet peppers, All the greens
died off a month ago as the heat rose. Our normal mid-day heat now is in
the early nineties, varied by the cloud cover. This is full summer for
Houston area.

We have been blessed with at least four inches of rain over the last few
days and I just heard some thunder rolling so there may be more.

All we can do now is to think about what to plant for the fall.

George

Old 13-07-2017, 04:36 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 7/11/2017 10:34 PM, T wrote:
[...]

Same here! All I've seen on my cucumber vines so far are male blooms.

'maters
are starting to set fruit now too , it won't be long until the Mrs. and
I have some canning to do . Actually I prefer to freeze tomatoes whole
in the skin , but freezer space is limited .

We've pulled some patio tomatoes off and on, but just one or two at a
time so far. It's been so hot I haven't been going out there every day
to check how the garden is doing. I was excited to actually see some
bees going from bloom to bloom! A couple honey bees and a couple bumble
type bees, too. I imagine they show up earlier in the day more than
later in the day, tho. I usually end up going out there in the afternoon.

--
Maggie