Old 30-07-2017, 09:31 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default The Harvest Begins

On 7/30/2017 2:57 PM, Muggles wrote:

Where do you live? Must be cooler than Harris Cty, TX, it's 1:28 pm here

It gets pretty hot here in Northern Oklahoma. The last several weeks
we've been in the 100's/high 90's.

I was stationed in Oklahoma for a short while when I was in the Navy. My
Mother was born in Oklahoma Territory then moved over to Kansas and
other mid states before coming to Texas. She met my father and he liked
her so they married and I came along in 1939

We have just enough cucumbers to eat, and earlier today I made some
refrigerator pickles, and also pickled some hot peppers, too. Just
enough to have some to snack on.

I hate living in a subdivision that empties out each morning and gets
filled up in the afternoon but we get to be close to our two kids, five
grands, and six great grands so here we be. I do like the air
conditioning though.

My husband keeps looking at property outside of town. He'd love to have
more room to do outdoor projects and gardening, but that usually means
more work for ME!

We lived on ten acres for the first fifteen years of our marriage, even
had a half acre pond loaded with fish, milk cow, chickens, ducks,
rabbits, you name it. I ran a rabbitry for food for us, sold hides,
meat, manure, went to fancy rabbit shows all over Texas, Oklahoma, and
Louisiana. The breeds of rabbits I grew back then aren't even on the
show lists anymore. All the time I was running boilers for a large
chemical company. Got the Vietnam GI bill and went to university and
then we started moving around. I went into the job of running safety for
chemical plants, etc. Made a good career of that, worked in a few states
and a few foreign countries. My wife liked the world traveling. Having
been a crewman on US Navy transport aircraft in the late fifties I just
slept through all the airplanes we traveled on. G Wife grew up on a
small farm in Maryland and hardly went anywhere until I nabbed her and
took her around the world a few times. Come December we will be married
57 years. Even our parents didn't make it that far, thank goodness for
modern medicine. Now we live closer to our kids, grands, and great
grands and seldom see them because they are so busy building their own
lives. It's still a Wonderful World for us. VBG

George
Old 01-08-2017, 05:34 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 7/30/2017 3:31 PM, George Shirley wrote:
[...]

Sounds like she has had the best of everything!

--
Maggie
Old 01-08-2017, 05:50 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 8/1/2017 11:34 AM, Muggles wrote:
[...]

She's gotten much more grumpy since she turned 77 in May. I still listen
to her but not with my good ear. G
Old 01-08-2017, 06:03 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 8/1/2017 11:50 AM, George Shirley wrote:
[...]

LOL I just got my hearing aids back from my audiologist's office. The
receivers had gone bad. They had them about a week, and during that
time I couldn't understand the majority of what my husband would say to
me unless he spoke up. Frustrating for him and me, both!

--
Maggie