Old 22-07-2017, 03:26 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default The Harvest Begins

I picked 3 cucumbers this morning , peppers are starting to produce ,
and there are several small okra pods out there . I think we're going to
get a pretty good harvest this year , I've had more time to work out
there . Last year construction was the top priority , this year not so
much though it's close to the top of the list .

--

Snag

Old 22-07-2017, 09:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Terry Coombs wrote:
I picked 3 cucumbers this morning , peppers are starting to produce ,
and there are several small okra pods out there . I think we're going to
get a pretty good harvest this year , I've had more time to work out
there . Last year construction was the top priority , this year not so
much though it's close to the top of the list .

heheh, i put up 7 quarts of dill pickles this
morning. about every 4-5 days now we have to pick.
15 cucumber plants. pretty crazy IMO. last year
we only had 6 cucumber plants. two different kinds
the burpees which got huge and another kind which
weren't quite so big. but i liked both of them
because they were smooth and didn't need much
prep work to get them done.

this year we have smaller "pickle" bush type
cucumbers which have a lot of spines and dirt
gets in all those nooks and crannies. so it takes
me time to scrub and prep them. but the results
are worth it.

we're already eating some of the first batch i
made at the end of June.

songbird
Old 23-07-2017, 12:28 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 7/22/2017 3:10 PM, songbird wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:
[...]

We planted 2 different cucumber varieties. They're blooming like crazy
and we're beginning to get cukes. So far, we're eating them all fresh.
Maybe this year we didn't plant too many.

I usually make refrigerator pickles and they get eaten like they're a
treat, so not many cukes survive to actually put them up for the winter.

--
Maggie
Old 23-07-2017, 02:46 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Saturday, July 22, 2017 at 10:25:58 AM UTC-4, Terry Coombs wrote:
I picked 3 cucumbers this morning , peppers are starting to produce ,
and there are several small okra pods out there . I think we're going to
get a pretty good harvest this year , I've had more time to work out
there . Last year construction was the top priority , this year not so
much though it's close to the top of the list .

--

Snag

My wife has started harvesting and processing tomatoes this week; we'll have enough spaghetti sauce for the next year. Too many cucumbers; fortunately, the sheep haven't tired of them yet. This morning, we picked the first white cucumber. More onions and garlic than one knows what to do with. And the cantaloupes are really huge but not quite ripe yet. The pumpkins are putting forth fruit, but won't be ripe for several months. We've been eating beets, lettuce, cabbage, and Brussels sprouts for some time now. Strawberry season is over; I have a batch of strawberry wine fermenting down in the cellar.

Paul
Maryland, North of Baltimore
Old 23-07-2017, 01:31 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 7/22/2017 8:46 PM, Pavel314 wrote:
[...]

I got a late start this year , but fortunately the growing season
here (N. central Arkansas) is pretty long . I usually have til late
September to harvest stuff unless we get an early freeze .

--

Snag

Old 26-07-2017, 02:59 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 7/23/2017 7:31 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
[...]

I should have checked yesterday . Picked 7 cucumbers and the first
zucchini just a few minutes ago , there are LOTS more cukes and at least
3-4 more zukes out there not quite big enough . Also got a handful of
okra , but not enough for 2 servings - by Friday there will be .Tomato
plants are producing nicely though none are ripe yet , peppers are still
behind - but the jalapenos have a few pods now . It's supposed to rain
here on Thursday evening and Friday , followed by more sun - and another
explosion of growth in the garden . The wife was "hoping the garden will
do better this year" , looks like she gets her wish . Sure glad we
picked up that 4 dozen canning jars (yard sale @ $2/doz) last week
because it looks like we're gonna need them .

--

Snag

Old 26-07-2017, 03:14 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 7/26/2017 8:59 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
[...]

Wife came home from her church garden with a bucket of okra, seems the
folks that visit the Poor Pantry don't like okra. Washed, air dried, cut
into rounds, put on a bun tray and frozen. Then they went into vacuum
bags, we like gumbo with okra, fried okra, baked okra, etc. So does the
majority of our large family. I remember the days when my Dad was out on
strike that we ate whatever we could get our hands on. Of course, I grew
up on ten acres with lots of critters and veggie's so never went hungry.
Somewhere around here I have a lot of okra recipes, will try to find
them among the 100+ recipe books.

George

Old 26-07-2017, 03:59 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 7/26/2017 9:14 AM, George Shirley wrote:
[...]

We like it fried , I might try it in some gumbo , that's new
territory for me . I'm takin' a page from your book when we start
getting more okra that we can eat - slice , freeze , try out my vacuum
sealer . Probably shred some zucchini and vac bag/freeze it too . I
read somewhere that GV (WM's brand) ziplocks make good vacuum bags . Cut
off the lock strip , use the top row of ridges - cut into short pieces
and laid across the opening - to let the air out (discard the lock strip
itself) and they're a lot cheaper than the purpose-made bags/roll bags .

--

Snagilicious

Old 26-07-2017, 05:47 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 7/26/2017 9:59 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
[...]

That's what we do with zukes too, that and cut rounds, to later cook in
casseroles or roll in flour and spices and deep fry.

We use rolls of plastic bags both the six inch wide and the twelve inch
wide. Depth of bag depends on what we're putting in the bags. Got a deal
on several beef roast a while back. Cut them into the proper size to fit
a bag (there's just two of us), cooked the roasts, let cool, vacuum
bagged and into the big freezer. We do much the same when we find
chicken breasts in big bags and ready to go out the door but are still
good. Sort them out, vacuum bag, label, toss into the freezer. Lots of
greens get done that way as do leftovers from making to much whatever.
Stay's good up to three years without getting bad or otherwise. Been
doing this for about thirty years now. Now on our fourth or fifth vacuum
sealer, always get a good brand, the cheap ones don't last long.

Used to have to go on line for bag material but nowadays they are in
most stupor markets at reasonable prices. I found some online several
years ago at half price and bought a case, still using them but getting
low. We also dish wash the empty bags and keep using them until they
only hold a couple of weiners, then they go to recycle. Waste not want not.

George
Old 27-07-2017, 04:53 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

[...]

I never seem to have any luck growing squash because it always gets eat
up with borers!

--
Maggie

Old 28-07-2017, 03:55 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 7/26/2017 10:53 PM, Muggles wrote:
[...]

You have to check the underside of the leaves for eggs . And squash
them before they hatch . There is usually a certain time span when they
are actively laying eggs , if you can break the cycle you should be OK .
Just remember , the moth that causes all the havoc flies ... and may be
coming from somewhere other than your garden . I was lucky this year and
didn't get any - yet .

--

Snag

Old 28-07-2017, 04:28 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 7/28/2017 9:55 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
[...]

This year I just planted hot peppers, some salad tomatoes, cucumbers,
black-eyed peas, climbing Lima beans, and some herbs. The black-eyed
peas have been producing for about a month, and the Lima's are climbing
like weeds and have blooms everywhere and just beginning to make pods.
We are also getting cukes on a regular basis, now, too, and I pinch off
herbs and use them fresh in various dishes.

I really love squash and zucchini, but can't ever seem to win over the
squash borers!

--
Maggie
Old 28-07-2017, 07:36 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 7/28/2017 10:28 AM, Muggles wrote:
[...]

Where do you live? Must be cooler than Harris Cty, TX, it's 1:28 pm here
and the temp is 94F. We can only grow squash, zucchini, and several
other vegetables in the winter, if we get one. We occasionally get
borers but sulfur dust seems to take care of them. We also have a pest
of mockingbirds but they do seem to eat some of the borers and other
garden pests. Otherwise the mockers will often peck the fruit of the
vine. They're the state bird of Texas so we can't harm them but I can
scare the heck out of them. I have a plastic owl and shiny silver tape
to hang around. G

Okra, tomatoes, and some beans do well in our heat but most do better in
the start of what is supposed to be a winter. Being a Native Texan I'm
used to it but my wife, born in Washington, DC, doesn't care much for
the heat.

I hate living in a subdivision that empties out each morning and gets
filled up in the afternoon but we get to be close to our two kids, five
grands, and six great grands so here we be. I do like the air
conditioning though.

George
Old 29-07-2017, 02:32 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Terry Coombs wrote:
I should have checked yesterday . Picked 7 cucumbers and the first
zucchini just a few minutes ago , there are LOTS more cukes and at least
3-4 more zukes out there not quite big enough . Also got a handful of
okra , but not enough for 2 servings - by Friday there will be .Tomato
plants are producing nicely though none are ripe yet , peppers are still
behind - but the jalapenos have a few pods now . It's supposed to rain
here on Thursday evening and Friday , followed by more sun - and another
explosion of growth in the garden . The wife was "hoping the garden will
do better this year" , looks like she gets her wish . Sure glad we
picked up that 4 dozen canning jars (yard sale @ $2/doz) last week
because it looks like we're gonna need them .

we've done 33 quarts of dill pickles the past few
weeks with it just getting ramped up.

i'm hoping we will only do a few more batches and
then call it done and remove most of the cucumber
plants. i really don't want to spend most of my
extra time putting up dill pickles that we won't
really need. my brother loves 'em, but we need to
keep some jars for tomatoes (which for us start to
get put up in mid-august through october).

we always are happy to have jars donated to us
from people we give things to. many are good about
returning them. we should have another five to ten
cases of jars out there, but i haven't looked that
close yet.

this past winter we gave away 15-20 cases of
quart jars (with contents ). so far not many
of those have come back.

songbird
Old 30-07-2017, 08:57 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 7/28/2017 1:36 PM, George Shirley wrote:
[...]

It gets pretty hot here in Northern Oklahoma. The last several weeks
we've been in the 100's/high 90's.

and the temp is 94F. We can only grow squash, zucchini, and several
other vegetables in the winter, if we get one. We occasionally get
borers but sulfur dust seems to take care of them. We also have a pest
of mockingbirds but they do seem to eat some of the borers and other
garden pests. Otherwise the mockers will often peck the fruit of the
vine. They're the state bird of Texas so we can't harm them but I can
scare the heck out of them. I have a plastic owl and shiny silver tape
to hang around. G

Okra, tomatoes, and some beans do well in our heat but most do better in
the start of what is supposed to be a winter. Being a Native Texan I'm
used to it but my wife, born in Washington, DC, doesn't care much for
the heat.

We have just enough cucumbers to eat, and earlier today I made some
refrigerator pickles, and also pickled some hot peppers, too. Just
enough to have some to snack on.

I hate living in a subdivision that empties out each morning and gets
filled up in the afternoon but we get to be close to our two kids, five
grands, and six great grands so here we be. I do like the air
conditioning though.

My husband keeps looking at property outside of town. He'd love to have
more room to do outdoor projects and gardening, but that usually means
more work for ME!

--
Maggie