Old 04-08-2017, 11:02 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Pickles !

We had enough cucumbers all at once so the wife put up 6 pints of
dill pickles today . In a few days we'll try them and decide if it's
worth the effort to make more - she's never done pickles before . Now I
gotta get in the kitchen and cut the okra up to freeze .

--

Snag

Old 05-08-2017, 05:54 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 8/4/2017 4:02 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
We had enough cucumbers all at once so the wife put up 6 pints of dill
pickles today . In a few days we'll try them and decide if it's worth
the effort to make more - she's never done pickles before . Now I gotta
get in the kitchen and cut the okra up to freeze .

I made a small jar of pickled tai hot peppers. Several family members
love hot peppers, so I'll be seeing if they like them or not.

We have some habanero and ghost peppers still on the bushes not quite
ripe, yet. This is the first year we actually got ghost peppers to
fruit! I'm kind of curious which family member will dare the others to
eat some!

--
Maggie
Old 05-08-2017, 01:04 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 8/4/2017 10:54 PM, Muggles wrote:
On 8/4/2017 4:02 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
We had enough cucumbers all at once so the wife put up 6 pints of dill
pickles today . In a few days we'll try them and decide if it's worth
the effort to make more - she's never done pickles before . Now I gotta
get in the kitchen and cut the okra up to freeze .

I made a small jar of pickled tai hot peppers. Several family members
love hot peppers, so I'll be seeing if they like them or not.

We have some habanero and ghost peppers still on the bushes not quite
ripe, yet. This is the first year we actually got ghost peppers to
fruit! I'm kind of curious which family member will dare the others to
eat some!

We pickled some sweet peppers last year that were very good. Added a few
garlic pieces to each jar and that boosted the flavor. At our age we
can't handle the hot peppers anymore but I don't miss them either.
Old 05-08-2017, 02:22 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Terry Coombs wrote:

We had enough cucumbers all at once so the wife put up 6 pints of
dill pickles today . In a few days we'll try them and decide if it's
worth the effort to make more - she's never done pickles before . Now I
gotta get in the kitchen and cut the okra up to freeze .

give 'em three weeks or so (unless you have
extras in the fridge ). sometimes i have a
few odds and ends or dollops of extra brine that
i keep in a quart jar in the fridge for snacking.
it still takes a few days for them to brine enough
for my taste.

as a kid i wasn't a fan of dill pickles but
now i like them.

having fresh dill to use is great.

cheers,

songbird
Old 05-08-2017, 06:40 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 8/5/2017 6:04 AM, George Shirley wrote:
[...]

I can't eat the hot peppers I grow. We usually just grow them so we can
give them away to family members who love the hot.

--
Maggie

Old 05-08-2017, 07:17 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 8/5/2017 11:40 AM, Muggles wrote:
[...]

None of our spawn like hot peppers and we don't either. I had an uncle
that lived to be 91 who ate pickled hot peppers every day until he died.
Claimed that was how he got old, I think he was just pickled. G Plus
he liked his booze too, one snort at bedtime every day. I miss that old
boy, he and my Dad taught me how to hunt, fish, play poker, and drink
good whiskey. Next to him I am now the eldest Shirley male in my bunch,
will be 78 in September. I can't drink whiskey, smoke, eat to much, or
chase women anymore. My wife doesn't like those things for me to do. G
Old 05-08-2017, 07:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 8/5/2017 12:17 PM, George Shirley wrote:
[...]

My MIL is now 91, and she insists she's not ready to leave this world,
yet! Both of my parents are gone, now.

I learned to fish in the girl scouts, but never really learned to play
poker, hunt or drink good whiskey. I'm more into a fine wine just every
now and then.

Oh, I can understand why your wife doesn't like some of those things! LOL
--
Maggie
Old 05-08-2017, 11:34 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 8/5/2017 12:41 PM, Muggles wrote:
[...]

My eldest sister ran a Girl Scout group. My Dad and myself were Scout
Masters. I have a multitude of patches, starting at 11 plus the Eagle
Scout, alas my only son didn't care for Scouting but my daughter was a
Girl Scout, ran a Girl Scout troop, and, currently is a Scout Executive
and her only grandson is now a Cub Scout. About sixty years of scouting
here and, we're hoping some of the great grands will continue the trip.

Heck, I was a "Lone Scout" when I was in the U.S. Navy, wore my Navy
uniform with my merit badge strip and my Eagle Scout when I worked with
the Scout Troop my destroyer ran in Newport, RI. Nowadays I go to my
great grandson's Cub group when they're having a big badge hand out for
the boys and girls my daughter insists I wear my merit badges and talk
to the children.

I truly believe that Scouting has kept a lot of children out of being
thugs and thieves.

My MIL lived to be 100 years old and her cousin, born on the same day,
made it to 101. My wife might live that long but I sometimes I hear
trumpets playing already. G
Old 06-08-2017, 12:39 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sat, 5 Aug 2017 16:34:37 -0500, George Shirley
wrote:

I truly believe that Scouting has kept a lot of children out of being
thugs and thieves.

Scouting made me learn Morse code; which led to a ham license, which
led to a stint as airborne radioman, which let to a career as
broadcast tech.... so, it's all their fault!

--
Gary Woods O- K2AHC Public keys at home.earthlink.net/~garygarlic, or get 0x1D64A93D via keyserver
fingerprint = E2 6F 50 93 7B C7 F3 CA 1F 8B 3C C0 B0 28 68

---
http://www.avg.com

Old 06-08-2017, 01:20 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 8/5/2017 4:34 PM, George Shirley wrote:
[...]

I was in Girl Scouts since Brownies and went all the way up through
Seniors and got First Class GS. We moved to a different state when I
was in my Junior year and there wasn't a troupe there, so that ended my
Girl Scout career.

Heck, I was a "Lone Scout" when I was in the U.S. Navy, wore my Navy
uniform with my merit badge strip and my Eagle Scout when I worked with
the Scout Troop my destroyer ran in Newport, RI. Nowadays I go to my
great grandson's Cub group when they're having a big badge hand out for
the boys and girls my daughter insists I wear my merit badges and talk
to the children.

I still have my sash with all the badges and bells and whistles,
including my hat! Oh, the memories! lol

I truly believe that Scouting has kept a lot of children out of being
thugs and thieves.

I still can't get the motto out of my head, "Be Prepared!".

Old 06-08-2017, 01:22 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

I truly believe that Scouting has kept a lot of children out of being
thugs and thieves.

Scouting made me learn Morse code; which led to a ham license, which
led to a stint as airborne radioman, which let to a career as
broadcast tech.... so, it's all their fault!

My son is a bit of a broadcast tech these days!

Oh, and your signature with the pgp key is cool!

--
Maggie
Old 06-08-2017, 02:33 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 8/5/2017 6:20 PM, Muggles wrote:
[...]

When I moved back to Texas five years ago I donated all my Boy Scout
stuff to a local museum with the exception of my Merit Badge sash, it's
in a museum in San Francisco. My daughter has my Eagle Badge because she
wanted it.
Old 06-08-2017, 05:22 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sat, 5 Aug 2017 18:20:41 -0500, Muggles
wrote:

I still can't get the motto out of my head, "Be Prepared!".

We older folk think of Tom Lehrer's version.

Old 07-08-2017, 06:17 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

I still can't get the motto out of my head, "Be Prepared!".

We older folk think of Tom Lehrer's version.

What's Tom Lehrer's version?

--
Maggie
Old 07-08-2017, 09:14 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Mon, 7 Aug 2017 11:17:44 -0500, Muggles
wrote:

What's Tom Lehrer's version?

Lehrer did a lot of satyrical songs back in the day, including many
for "That was the week that was," hosted by David Frost.

Best you look it up on youtube; there's lots of his stuff there.

---
http://www.avg.com

Pete quick pickles JRYezierski Edible Gardening 0 23-07-2004 11:03 PM
1st time Easy Pickles anyone make some yet? JRYezierski Edible Gardening 0 13-07-2004 09:02 PM
Refrigerator pickles Jackson Lawns 0 13-03-2004 04:24 AM
Speaking of Pickles..... King Pineapple Edible Gardening 0 16-08-2003 04:02 PM
need fresh sweet pickles recipe Zphysics1 Edible Gardening 1 15-07-2003 01:19 AM