Old 06-08-2017, 04:36 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default two pics from a few days ago

working on the north garden getting the weeds out and
regenerating the strawberry patch:

http://www.anthive.com/img/tasks/thm...edoing_thm.jpg

i'm about 10ft further to the left now...

and a pic of the thyme and squash in the horseshoe
garden:

http://www.anthive.com/img/mixed-flo..._Thyme_thm.jpg

much to do this time of the year, picking cucumbers
every 4-5 days, fresh beans coming in, weeding, watering,
and enjoying the weather.

won't be too long before we start getting some
tomatoes, peppers and beets.

cheers!

songbird
Old 06-08-2017, 03:05 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sat, 5 Aug 2017 23:36:41 -0400, songbird
wrote:

and a pic of the thyme and squash in the horseshoe
garden:

http://www.anthive.com/img/mixed-flo..._Thyme_thm.jpg

I'm thinking "Clash of the Titans."

In my case, the sage and thyme are duking it out with some poor
rosemary in the DMZ.
The sage was winning until I evened the odds with a machete!

---
http://www.avg.com

Old 07-08-2017, 12:35 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

and a pic of the thyme and squash in the horseshoe
garden:

http://www.anthive.com/img/mixed-flo..._Thyme_thm.jpg

I'm thinking "Clash of the Titans."

In my case, the sage and thyme are duking it out with some poor
rosemary in the DMZ.
The sage was winning until I evened the odds with a machete!

the squash being an annual loses eventually.

i have a much lower growing thyme that doesn't
smother or keep out weeds as well, but i like it
for a change of texture/color (it has deeper
purple colored flowers).

i have two edges of it that need some weeding
badly to give it a better chance again, but that
won't happen for a while yet at the rate i'm
going.

did your seed gathering go well?

songbird
Old 07-08-2017, 03:19 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sun, 6 Aug 2017 19:35:49 -0400, songbird
wrote:

did your seed gathering go well?

Yes; brought home a new to me Chard, plants sprouting in the
greenhouse to go outdoors soon, and lots of information.
I promise a proper report and pictures Real Soon Now.

---
http://www.avg.com

Old 07-08-2017, 03:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

did your seed gathering go well?

Yes; brought home a new to me Chard, plants sprouting in the
greenhouse to go outdoors soon, and lots of information.
I promise a proper report and pictures Real Soon Now.

Last year we had a bumper crop of rainbow chard, they were pretty enough
that I was allowed to plant in the "sacred flower beds" planted the
remaining seeds this year and had a few miserly plants. My guess is I
failed to store the seeds well enough and to add insult to injury I haven't
seen any seeds available when I have remembered to look.

Mike

Old 07-08-2017, 05:18 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 8/5/2017 10:36 PM, songbird wrote:
working on the north garden getting the weeds out and
regenerating the strawberry patch:

http://www.anthive.com/img/tasks/thm...edoing_thm.jpg

i'm about 10ft further to the left now...

and a pic of the thyme and squash in the horseshoe
garden:

http://www.anthive.com/img/mixed-flo..._Thyme_thm.jpg

much to do this time of the year, picking cucumbers
every 4-5 days, fresh beans coming in, weeding, watering,
and enjoying the weather.

won't be too long before we start getting some
tomatoes, peppers and beets.

cheers!

songbird

That's a wonderful garden!

--
Maggie
Old 07-08-2017, 06:07 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

did your seed gathering go well?

Yes; brought home a new to me Chard, plants sprouting in the
greenhouse to go outdoors soon, and lots of information.
I promise a proper report and pictures Real Soon Now.

Last year we had a bumper crop of rainbow chard, they were pretty enough
that I was allowed to plant in the "sacred flower beds" planted the
remaining seeds this year and had a few miserly plants. My guess is I
failed to store the seeds well enough and to add insult to injury I haven't
seen any seeds available when I have remembered to look.

Mike

I keep my seeds in the bottom section of the fridge in a sealed plastic
container. Many of the seed packets are several years old and will still
grow but not like new seeds. In addition we put this years dried on the
plant seeds in paper envelopes for next year. Eventually they all go out
due to old age but have had some heirloom seeds up to ten years.

In addition I put desiccant packages in the container.

Had a nice rain this morning and there may be more. Free water for the
gardens, lawn, and fruit trees is always welcome.

George
Old 08-08-2017, 08:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Muggles wrote:
That's a wonderful garden!

thank you. if you want to check out from the
top, bunch of things are at

http://www.anthive.com/

songbird
Old 10-08-2017, 04:48 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 8/8/2017 2:27 PM, songbird wrote:
Muggles wrote:
That's a wonderful garden!

thank you. if you want to check out from the
top, bunch of things are at

http://www.anthive.com/

songbird

Wow ... My garden is a handful of raised beds. lol I've neglected it,
too, because it just got so hot.

I'm thinking next year I'm not going to do as much as I did this year.
The husband always starts out like gangbusters wanting to plant
everything under the sun, but then he doesn't follow through with taking
care of what he planted.

We also get over run with bushes and cane that keeps coming in from the
neighbors yard behind us. I have plenty of dried cane poles every year,
though!
--
Maggie
Old 15-08-2017, 03:51 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Muggles wrote:
Wow ... My garden is a handful of raised beds. lol I've neglected it,
too, because it just got so hot.

yeah, it gets hot here too at times, i just try to
get out in the morning while it is still cool enough
and work until it gets too hot. lately that has been
right about noon. today i was able to get out again
later on as the breeze kicked up and there were some
clouds. nice day when i can get two shifts in.

I'm thinking next year I'm not going to do as much as I did this year.
The husband always starts out like gangbusters wanting to plant
everything under the sun, but then he doesn't follow through with taking
care of what he planted.

i know that feeling... i expect i'll be done
with the current garden project in another week or
two depending upon the weather. then i'll redo my
other strawberry patch (which i hope will take only
a few days) and then get out to another big project
out back which should take another month at the rate
things are going. and that will also mean it will
be getting cooler out. i can get a lot more done
then...

it's good exercise for me so i'm fine with all of
it.

We also get over run with bushes and cane that keeps coming in from the
neighbors yard behind us. I have plenty of dried cane poles every year,
though!

i would get a good barrier dug in down deep to
block that stuff. i have some pretty invasive
grasses that do the same thing. a lot of work to
keep them from getting worse.

songbird

Old 25-08-2017, 03:11 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Raised Beds [was] two pics from a few days ago

On 8/24/2017 7:55 PM, Derald wrote:
Well, did you survive 'til first day? Are you in USA? Where? USDA
climate zone is enough, actually.

Muggles wrote:

Wow ... My garden is a handful of raised beds. lol I've neglected it,
too, because it just got so hot.

Don't feel alone: I think a few others in the ng are using raised
beds, too.. I keep nine of them (±3'x8'), sitting atop ninety feet of
Florida sand, plus four elevated containers filled with from no less
than twenty–five, to forty–five gallons of soil mix. Since I'm in a
climate that allows year-'round gardening, most of the beds produce
_something_ year-'round. Mid-January to mid-February, July, and August
are the least productive months but right now, along with a smattering
of relatively heat-tolerant herbs, I have "southern" peas, okra,
eggplant, peppers (emerald giant, california wonder, It. pepperoncini,
two kinds of japs, Tabasco), yellow squash, strawberries. The squash
and strawberries aren't liking the summer sun at all. As a rule, yellow
squash is a spring and a fall crop down here, not a summer crop, and the
strawberries are simply ground cover right now. They're usually grown
as cool-season annuals.
Hot? Yep. And where I am, the high humidity is a summertime
constant.
Installed dripline irrigation in beds and containers in 2011-2012.
Driplines in containers proved impractical: More expedient just to draw
a few gallons of water and dump them in than to fiddle with irrigation
fittings.

I'm thinking next year I'm not going to do as much as I did this year.

Is this the first time you've thought that? ...thought so.

The husband always starts out like gangbusters wanting to plant
everything under the sun, but then he doesn't follow through with taking
care of what he planted.

Yeah, but it's always over pretty quickly. So divert his
enthusiasm to something productive: Vacuum cleaning, dishwashing,
laundry, etc.

We also get over run with bushes and cane that keeps coming in from the
neighbors yard behind us. I have plenty of dried cane poles every year,
though!

What is "cane"? We have a stand of bamboo along a fenceline that
has waxed and waned for forty years, to my certain knowledge. I use
bamboo poles in the garden for trellis supports, vining plant supports,
predator insect perches. Had a major bamboo die-off four or five years
past. Dunno whether due to absence of water, life cycle, or what but it
has rebounded with new daughters at layered joints. We layered some
joints eight or nine years ago but I've never checked to see whether any
of those "took" but a substantial proportion of the "new generation" is
easily twenty feet tall.

Cane in Texas is close to bamboo but is actually a swamp reed that can
get about an inch in diameter and, when dried a good bit does the same
thing as bamboo but is free. Don't have any here but in my home area
there were lots of creeks and ponds surrounded by the stuff. I made bows
with some of it until I found out that Osage Orange limbs were much
better and I found that the smaller reeds, when dried properly, made
wonderful arrows.

I tried growing "barrel" bamboo once but it was a bust. No hurricane yet
and the weather folk are saying we might get some rain starting tomorrow
but no high winds this far north of the Gulf. I hope they're right.
Old 25-08-2017, 03:13 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Muggles wrote:

[...]

River cane, found around most creeks, swamps, any wet spot in the south.
Around here we called it Texas Bamboo but it is still just common river
cane.