Old 22-08-2017, 08:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Vaccinium Myrtillus

Hi All,

Anyone know where I can purchase Vaccinium Myrtillus (Bilberry)
plants with plugs or pots (I have the worst luck with bare root).

The only place I could find with Duck Duck Go was a place
in the UK.

-T
Old 24-08-2017, 12:19 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

T wrote:
Hi All,

Anyone know where I can purchase Vaccinium Myrtillus (Bilberry)
plants with plugs or pots (I have the worst luck with bare root).

many sites are calling these blueberries and
they need acidic and moist conditions (edges of
bogs are where we find them around here).

i found many places selling them (try
searching with ecosia using phrase

Vaccinium Myrtillus for sale
)

songbird
Old 24-08-2017, 06:50 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 08/23/2017 04:19 PM, songbird wrote:
T wrote:
Hi All,

Anyone know where I can purchase Vaccinium Myrtillus (Bilberry)
plants with plugs or pots (I have the worst luck with bare root).

many sites are calling these blueberries and
they need acidic and moist conditions (edges of
bogs are where we find them around here).

i found many places selling them (try
searching with ecosia using phrase

Vaccinium Myrtillus for sale
)

songbird

Hi Songbird,

There is a whole section over here on the confusion
with blueberries:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaccinium_myrtillus

Here is a great growing guide:
http://homeguides.sfgate.com/grow-va...lus-47553.html

I will have a problem with #2:

Select a planting location for your bilberries that
offers full sun in cooler zones and partial sun with
afternoon shade in warmer zones. Ensure that soil is
well-draining and acidic.

I will pour vinagar down the hole a mix it up and let set
for a few months before planting.

The other problem I am having is #1:

Purchase container-raised bilberries rather than bare-root
stock as these perennials do not like to have their roots
disturbed.

And I can not find any for sale. :'(

-T

Bilberries are great for Diabetes, circulation problems
and your especially eyes:

Bilberry extract supplementation for preventing eye fatigue
in video display terminal workers:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25923485

The effect of a natural, standardized bilberry extract
(Mirtoselect®) in dry eye: a randomized, double blinded,
placebo-controlled trial:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28617532