Old 24-08-2017, 09:52 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Where is everyone?

On 8/24/2017 3:24 PM, George Shirley wrote:
On 8/24/2017 1:49 PM, Frank wrote:
Well water better than city water and when they were still alive my
mother and father would often come for water when theirs was tasting
like chemicals.Â* Water is abundant here but not cheap and I figure
over the years well and septic have saved me a bundle.Â* I'm a retired
chemist and have seen wells analysis free from plumber that wanted to
put in treatment but calcium was borderline so all I have is a
sediment filter.

I have a generator for power outages but wish transfer box included AC.
None recently but outages have lasted as long as a week.Â* Lines here
run along treed roads and since we are in a small area we are usually
last to get back service.Â* I do have a portable AC that I bought a few
months ago when home AC was down for 3 days and it was very hot.Â* I
could run that off the generator.

Hope storm does not bring problems to you.

Frank

We live right on the verge of The Woodlands of Texas. Pretty far from
the Gulf, and a higher elevation (barely) than Houston area. I've been
watching hurricanes come ashore since I could read and write and that
was age four. Wife and I just had a conversation about this storm, she's
from Maryland and we've been through a few hurricanes and tornadoes
together over our long married life. She gets nervous and wants to run
and lock everything down, I'm not to concerned about this storm. Mostly
because of where we live now, how high the area is above sea level, and,
I guess, just because I've lived through a great many hurricanes. That
doesn't mean we won't stock the SUV with clothing, food, etc. just in
case but I don't have that weird feeling I get when hurricanes are
coming ashore.

Over the next 48 hours we shall see what happens.

George

Looks far enough from Houston, probably as far as we were from Sandy
when it hit NJ a few years ago but we lost power a half day and a lot of
trees were down.

I told my wife the other day when power when out for a couple of hours
in the evening that we were spoiled as it was not a threat but just an
inconvenience. All the wealth of things we have now like TV, internet,
phones, we feel bad when one is lost even for a brief period.
Old 24-08-2017, 10:03 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 8/24/2017 3:42 PM, T wrote:
On 08/24/2017 12:35 PM, Gary Woods wrote:
On Thu, 24 Aug 2017 12:04:31 -0700, T wrote:

I am cutting over a new server at a business.Â* It
is endless acres of fun!Â* mumble, mumble.

I'm reminded of a horse owner friend who had a cartoon tacked up in
the barn:Â* Grinning horse in stall; sweating woman with steaming
wheelbarrow full of poo, muttering "I love horses, I love horses..."
You may apply this to digital technology if you wish.

And I'm in garden recovery mode; planting fall things and trying to
get the upper hand on the weeds.

Chuckle!

-T

Death to Weeds!
Death to Squash Bugs!
Death to Earwigs!

You forgot a lot of things. Most prominent to me are yellow jackets
after getting my ankle stung 4 times a couple of weeks ago when I was
spraying leaves.
Old 24-08-2017, 10:26 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 08/24/2017 01:03 PM, Frank wrote:
On 8/24/2017 3:42 PM, T wrote:
On 08/24/2017 12:35 PM, Gary Woods wrote:
On Thu, 24 Aug 2017 12:04:31 -0700, T wrote:

I am cutting over a new server at a business. It
is endless acres of fun! mumble, mumble.

I'm reminded of a horse owner friend who had a cartoon tacked up in
the barn: Grinning horse in stall; sweating woman with steaming
wheelbarrow full of poo, muttering "I love horses, I love horses..."
You may apply this to digital technology if you wish.

And I'm in garden recovery mode; planting fall things and trying to
get the upper hand on the weeds.

Chuckle!

-T

Death to Weeds!
Death to Squash Bugs!
Death to Earwigs!

You forgot a lot of things. Most prominent to me are yellow jackets
after getting my ankle stung 4 times a couple of weeks ago when I was
spraying leaves.

I stand corrected!

Death to Weeds!
Death to Squash Bugs!
Death to Earwigs!
Death to Yellow Jackets!

Old 24-08-2017, 11:23 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 8/24/2017 2:52 PM, Frank wrote:
[...]

inconvenience.Â* All the wealth of things we have now like TV, internet,
phones, we feel bad when one is lost even for a brief period.

I can remember when my folks got a tv in 1953. On Saturday nights all
the neighbors would come over to watch the old wrestling matches. The
good part is that they brought stuff to eat and drink.

I've never cared much for wrestling and boxing. I would like to have a
NRA channel and some good shooting matches. I'm a better shooter than I
am a hand fighter. G

I started with the internet in 1982 with an Osbourne One. Took forever
to get emails going so mostly used it like a typewriter with a tiny
screen. Cost a good bit of money back then, now computers are fairly
cheap compared to a big screen TV. I keep hoping someone will bring out
a big screen with a computer set up. I wouldn't need my glasses to read
the screen. VBG

I stayed in my room with my books and kept the door closed. A lot mo
Old 25-08-2017, 01:04 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 8/24/2017 5:23 PM, George Shirley wrote:
[...]

very hot. I could run that off the generator.

[...]

I just checked and there are 3 sportsmen channel dealing with out door
sports on Comcast cable. One channel is just fishing but Outdoor and
Sportsman channel mostly shooting sports. Years ago I got an email from
Jim Scouten who had a shooting show on NBC sports that got taken off for
rodeo. I had asked him where to go and Dish was his recommendation.
Got him back on Comcast cable when we went to HD channel a few years
ago. Yesterday evening I watched his show after seeing Jerry Miculek's
Shootout Lane show.

Can't remember year we got a TV but an uncle in the neighborhood was
first to get on circa 1950 and his living room was crowded every
Saturday night watching Milton Berle show on, as I recall, a round 8
inch black and white screen.

Looks like biggest threat from Gulf hurricane is rain. A foot over a
couple of days will cause flooding where you normally don't see it. We
live up hill but creek below can get flooded as well as stream to it and
I've seen neighbors basements get flooded.

Old 25-08-2017, 04:03 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 8/24/2017 6:04 PM, Frank wrote:
[...]

just an inconvenience.Â* All the wealth of things we have now like TV,
[...]

sports on Comcast cable.Â* One channel is just fishing but Outdoor and
Sportsman channel mostly shooting sports.Â* Years ago I got an email from
Jim Scouten who had a shooting show on NBC sports that got taken off for
rodeo.Â* I had asked him where to go and Dish was his recommendation. Got
him back on Comcast cable when we went to HD channel a few years ago.
Yesterday evening I watched his show after seeing Jerry Miculek's
Shootout Lane show.

Can't remember year we got a TV but an uncle in the neighborhood was
first to get on circa 1950 and his living room was crowded every
Saturday night watching Milton Berle show on, as I recall, a round 8
inch black and white screen.

Looks like biggest threat from Gulf hurricane is rain.Â* A foot over a
couple of days will cause flooding where you normally don't see it.Â* We
live up hill but creek below can get flooded as well as stream to it and
I've seen neighbors basements get flooded.

We're hoping for that rain to come here. Haven't had much free water
this year and it's a pain watering our plants twice a day to keep them
going. I think we're high enough up from the Gulf that we won't flood
badly. Some of the smaller roads going here and yon haven't been built
up yet so they will flood easily.
Old 25-08-2017, 02:33 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 8/24/2017 10:03 PM, George Shirley wrote:
[...]

was very hot. I could run that off the generator.

[...]

off for rodeo.Â* I had asked him where to go and Dish was his
[...]

Media does tend to over hype things but no doubt there will be problems
but to most just an annoyance.

I have not had to water the lawn once this year. Couple of days ago I
made slight mistake of washing my car on the lawn when it had rained the
night before and now have unsightly tire tracks on the driveway.
Old 26-08-2017, 07:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Derald wrote:
and when to dump in more predators. The last were applied in Nov 2011.
The predatory nematodes take out a couple of troublesome "leaf miner"
gnats, beetle larvae, and some other nematodes. Of course they may be
the reason I never see any _large_ earthworms in the garden but those
things happen. Or maybe those worms just don't get big; who cares? At
least the don't seem to molest ground–dwelling instars of wasps.

some of the compost worms (that live on or near the
surface don't get very large at all) as contrasted to
the night crawlers which reach 6-12 inches and are
quite fat. these usually like places with some clay
in the soil.

See what happens when you go around turning over rocks and poking
at stuff with a stick?

did some of that today. big honkin' rocks, probably
weigh 300-500lbs each. they were in the way and needed
to be moved for the most recent Mom project. not sure
where they are going now, but i hope it is downhill (for
some measure of hill that we do have here).

in for a break now from weeding and continuing the work
on that north garden. i hope in two more days and i can
give it a quick once over again to get any weeds that have
sprouted and then on to the next project. the strawberries
i've transplanted as i've gone along have put on some new
leaves. i wish i had enough mulch for the whole area but
i have to be content with weed scraps and some leaf mold
i dug up that was stuck under there a few years ago.

all this digging in there is good to mix things up a bit
but it is also letting me get all the pieces of plastics,
metals, glass and shards of pottery that got in there some-
how. most of it came from the bad batch of compost i'm
sure. and of course, it is always good to be able to say
hi to my wormie friends.

songbird