Old 31-08-2017, 03:48 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Square Pumpkin Failure

Looks like my attempt at growing a square pumpkin didn't work. I built a box that was just a little too big for the pumpkin to get trapped in; I'll try a smaller box next year.

Paul
Old 31-08-2017, 02:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Pavel314" wrote in message
Looks like my attempt at growing a square pumpkin didn't work. I built a
box that was just a little too big for the pumpkin to get trapped in; I'll
try a smaller box next year.

Paul

There has to be an optimum size. I would guess that a box that is too small
would end up being split apart from the pressure of the growing pumpkin,
unless it expanded out of the ends
I would still like to see photos when its completed.

Mike

Old 01-09-2017, 10:51 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Thursday, August 31, 2017 at 8:00:36 AM UTC-4, Bloke Down The Pub wrote:
"Pavel314" wrote in message
Looks like my attempt at growing a square pumpkin didn't work. I built a
box that was just a little too big for the pumpkin to get trapped in; I'll
try a smaller box next year.

Paul

There has to be an optimum size. I would guess that a box that is too small
would end up being split apart from the pressure of the growing pumpkin,
unless it expanded out of the ends
I would still like to see photos when its completed.

Mike

I'm going to try again next year with a smaller box. I measured one of the Red October pumpkins, they type I was trying to square, and the circumference was 25 inches. This implies a radius of 3.98 inches; a circle with that radius would have an area of 49.74 square inches. If you fit that area into a perfect square, the sides of the square would be 7.05 inches. My pumpkin box has an inside dimension of 7.75 inches, so it was too big to square the pumpkin. I think that next year I'll make two boxes with an inside measure of 6 inches. The tops will be open, so that any excess will grow out of the top instead of bursting the box.

This year's box was made of 2 X 10 lumber, with the sides and bottom attached with screws for extra holding power. Next year I'll use 2 X 8 and adjust the sides so that the inner dimensions are 6 inches.

Pictures next year about this time.

Paul
Old 02-09-2017, 01:04 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Pavel314" wrote in message
[...]

I was curious and googled this up:

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/grow-sq...kin-34687.html

I'm sure others discuss and might be better but it sounds like you no
not need that sturdy of a container. I've seen trees grow around small
obstacles and seen deer netting that even touches the plant stunt its
growth.

Makes gardening fun.