Old 02-09-2017, 04:01 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default some recent pics

decorations: top 2

http://www.anthive.com/project/decorations/

tasks: bottom 2 (before and after)

http://www.anthive.com/project/tasks/

critters: bottom 1

http://www.anthive.com/project/critters/

beans: bottom 2

http://www.anthive.com/project/beans/

songbird
Old 02-09-2017, 12:17 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 9/1/2017 11:01 PM, songbird wrote:
decorations: top 2

http://www.anthive.com/project/decorations/

tasks: bottom 2 (before and after)

http://www.anthive.com/project/tasks/

critters: bottom 1

http://www.anthive.com/project/critters/

beans: bottom 2

http://www.anthive.com/project/beans/

songbird

Nice.
Old 02-09-2017, 01:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Frank wrote:
Nice.

thanks, feels good to finish up something
and so i took a little break yesterday and enjoyed...

songbird
Old 02-09-2017, 04:57 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 9/2/2017 8:10 AM, songbird wrote:
Frank wrote:
Nice.

thanks, feels good to finish up something
and so i took a little break yesterday and enjoyed...

songbird

Most of my gardening today is looking at it. Deer, shade and age cut it
severely. We only grew a few tomatoes near the house and I will have a
lot of chestnuts next month. The wife does some flowers but just came
in to tell me the deer had eaten most of them.

Frank
Old 03-09-2017, 01:23 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Frank wrote:
Most of my gardening today is looking at it. Deer,

we fenced one area where we grow the most veggies.
other animals get in there and cause some havoc but
that fence saved the slight strawberry crop this past
spring. all my strawberry patches outside the fence
were eaten. i need to fix another fence to block the
gap the deer are currently using, but it is not going
to be easy to do it with wild grape vines smothering
the area.

shade and age cut it
severely.

i have some of that going on too now, but the
cedar trees are growing slowly enough i should still
be able to take them down myself when it gets to be
time. i'm hoping to get some usable fence stakes
out of them.

age gets us all. i have problems i work around
and it is only by moving that i keep the back issues
from getting much worse. one of my knees isn't
particularly happy with me at the moment, but i'm
trying to be careful and still get things done.
some days it is a delicate balance between resting
and plans.

We only grew a few tomatoes near the house and I will have a
lot of chestnuts next month. The wife does some flowers but just came
in to tell me the deer had eaten most of them.

yeah, everything outside the fenced areas gets
grazed heavy here sometimes. the deer have entire
farm fields they could be eating instead, but they
must like the variety (like people ). i see
fresh tracks in various gardens every day this past
year (since the fence got pushed down by snow and
deer going over it). i have to get that fence
fixed before winter. it's not a complete fence
though, so they can go around if they are persistent.
it is very likely they're gonna be... ah well, i'm
ok. if i really want to fence most of the rest of
the yard i could do it for about $1000 and the
effort, but i'm trying to avoid that and use pieces
of old fence to deter them.

songbird

Old 03-09-2017, 05:09 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 9/3/2017 8:23 AM, songbird wrote:
Frank wrote:
[...]

I would have fenced my garden if not for the shade. We live in a very
hilly area on 0.8 acre lot and garden was at the bottom of our lot 2
flights of stairs down terraced slope. Originally surrounded by fields
and predominate beasts were pheasants which did not bother the garden.
Then it was rabbits which respond easily to small fence. Then as trees
grew, deer predominate and I would fence except shade is excessive now.

Deer respond pretty well to just netting unless you get a lot of them
running around and they just might crash through it. I had netted off a
group of hydrangeas but when my chestnuts came in and the yard was full
of deer they crashed through it. Planting 2 Chinese chestnuts was a
mistake. The trees are healthy and I get more chestnuts than I and
neighbors need at sacrifice of garden. Most of our neighbors only cut
the grass around the house and leave the rest grow wild. A couple of
years ago when a granddaughter stopped around in late winter I took her
looking for deer sheds and found a 5 point one in next door neighbors
back yard.

My deer hunting days are drawing to an end and it is frustrating when
you hunt all day without seeing a deer to come home to see deer in your
front yard.

Frank
Old 03-09-2017, 05:46 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 9/3/2017 11:09 AM, Frank wrote:
On 9/3/2017 8:23 AM, songbird wrote:
Frank wrote:
Most of my gardening today is looking at it.Â* Deer,

Â*Â* we fenced one area where we grow the most veggies.
other animals get in there and cause some havoc but
that fence saved the slight strawberry crop this past
spring.Â* all my strawberry patches outside the fence
were eaten.Â* i need to fix another fence to block the
gap the deer are currently using, but it is not going
to be easy to do it with wild grape vines smothering
the area.

shade and age cut it
severely.

Â*Â* i have some of that going on too now, but the
cedar trees are growing slowly enough i should still
be able to take them down myself when it gets to be
time.Â* i'm hoping to get some usable fence stakes
out of them.

Â*Â* age gets us all.Â* i have problems i work around
and it is only by moving that i keep the back issues
from getting much worse.Â* one of my knees isn't
particularly happy with me at the moment, but i'm
trying to be careful and still get things done.
some days it is a delicate balance between resting
and plans.

Â* We only grew a few tomatoes near the house and I will have a
lot of chestnuts next month.Â* The wife does some flowers but just came
in to tell me the deer had eaten most of them.

Â*Â* yeah, everything outside the fenced areas gets
grazed heavy here sometimes.Â* the deer have entire
farm fields they could be eating instead, but they
must like the variety (like people ).Â* i see
fresh tracks in various gardens every day this past
year (since the fence got pushed down by snow and
deer going over it).Â* i have to get that fence
fixed before winter.Â* it's not a complete fence
though, so they can go around if they are persistent.
it is very likely they're gonna be...Â* ah well, i'm
ok.Â* if i really want to fence most of the rest of
the yard i could do it for about $1000 and the
effort, but i'm trying to avoid that and use pieces
of old fence to deter them.

Â*Â* songbird

I would have fenced my garden if not for the shade.Â* We live in a very
hilly area on 0.8 acre lot and garden was at the bottom of our lot 2
flights of stairs down terraced slope.Â* Originally surrounded by fields
and predominate beasts were pheasants which did not bother the garden.
Then it was rabbits which respond easily to small fence.Â* Then as trees
grew, deer predominate and I would fence except shade is excessive now.

Deer respond pretty well to just netting unless you get a lot of them
running around and they just might crash through it.Â* I had netted off a
group of hydrangeas but when my chestnuts came in and the yard was full
of deer they crashed through it.Â* Planting 2 Chinese chestnuts was a
mistake.Â* The trees are healthy and I get more chestnuts than I and
neighbors need at sacrifice of garden.Â* Most of our neighbors only cut
the grass around the house and leave the rest grow wild.Â* A couple of
years ago when a granddaughter stopped around in late winter I took her
looking for deer sheds and found a 5 point one in next door neighbors
back yard.

My deer hunting days are drawing to an end and it is frustrating when
you hunt all day without seeing a deer to come home to see deer in your
front yard.

Frank

I'm in that same boat Frank, went from acres to a small house on 6500
square feet and a small garden. No deer in the property but I see a few
on the pipeline behind us. Have had a lifetime hunting and fishing
license in Texas for about 25 years, don't even bother to renew it
nowadays. Middle grandson hunts and fishes and I let him use my rifles
then I get venison for the winter. G We have three fruit trees, very
young as yet but they produce enough figs, pears, and kumquats for us to
make canned stuff and jellies and jams. Our only other problem is
vendors knocking on doors who, obviously, can't read the signs on the
three ways into this small subdivision and the other sign on my front
door. Out of three hundred homes there's only about a dozen old people
living here and we don't make much noise. A young couple recently moved
in a few doors away and they keep posting on our web page that they want
to put on barbecue's, etc. once a month. No one answered that. Most of
the young folk go out to work in the morning, come home in the
afternoon, and mind their own business, and we old people like it that
way. G

George
Old 03-09-2017, 07:14 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Frank wrote:
[...]

garden. Then it was rabbits which respond easily to small fence.Â* Then
as trees grew, deer predominate and I would fence except shade is
excessive now.

Deer respond pretty well to just netting unless you get a lot of them
running around and they just might crash through it.Â* I had netted off
a group of hydrangeas but when my chestnuts came in and the yard was
full of deer they crashed through it.Â* Planting 2 Chinese chestnuts
[...]

In Delaware, over 65 you do not need a license but need to get a free
license exempt permit number every year as they like to keep track of
number of hunters. I also get a free state parks hunting permit but
this might be my last year.

I agree with your comments on what us old folks like. We only have 20
homes here with one entrance to two cul-de-sac streets and only noisy
traffic are the garbage trucks that come in. I often recognize who is
driving up the hill out front by the sound of their vehicle's engine
before I can see them from my den's window.
Old 03-09-2017, 08:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Frank wrote:
[...]

lot 2 flights of stairs down terraced slope.Â* Originally surrounded
by fields and predominate beasts were pheasants which did not bother
the garden. Then it was rabbits which respond easily to small fence.
Then as trees grew, deer predominate and I would fence except shade
is excessive now.

Deer respond pretty well to just netting unless you get a lot of them
running around and they just might crash through it.Â* I had netted
off a group of hydrangeas but when my chestnuts came in and the yard
was full of deer they crashed through it.Â* Planting 2 Chinese
chestnuts was a mistake.Â* The trees are healthy and I get more
chestnuts than I and neighbors need at sacrifice of garden.Â* Most of
our neighbors only cut the grass around the house and leave the rest
grow wild.Â* A couple of years ago when a granddaughter stopped around
[...]

number of hunters.Â* I also get a free state parks hunting permit but
this might be my last year.

I agree with your comments on what us old folks like.Â* We only have 20
homes here with one entrance to two cul-de-sac streets and only noisy
traffic are the garbage trucks that come in.Â* I often recognize who is
driving up the hill out front by the sound of their vehicle's engine
before I can see them from my den's window.

If I remember correctly Texas does much the same at age 65. Even with
the lifetime card I have to go in September to get my tags for free,
that includes certain birds and deer. Even if I don't hunt much I still
go get my tags, just in case. One grandson married into a family with a
lot of acres out in the boonies. May get a shot at hunting there one
day. Even if I don't he brings us venison just for the use of the rifles
and, his oldest boy just turned fourteen, unfortunately he doesn't like
to hunt. Texas, if I remember correctly, you can get six deer, one buck
and the rest does. We're overrun with deer, see them dead on the side of
the road often. Road kill goes to charity if I remember correctly, that
means old folk homes, orphanages, etc. All good places to send properly
dressed road kill.

Just looked out the back gate, raccoon was fishing in the detention
pond. Hope it gets a lot of frogs, they sing for us every night and
morning and sure make a lot of noise. When the flooding was going on
they were singing 24 hours it seemed like. Guess they were just happy.

Our district has brought in a different garbage company, I never hear
them picking up my garbage. The old company was really loud and so were
the workers, always hollering at each other and banging the garbage
containers on the back of the truck. We have twice a week pick up, one
is recycling and garbage, the other is just garbage. We have neighbors,
young families with children, that put out two or three garbage cans and
the one recycling with extra bags. We put out recycling once a month or
so, garbage once a week and it is a wee little bag. Of course there's
only two of us and a little dog but I see a couple nearby with no kids
still putting out a lot of stuff. Probably only eat out of cans and
container.
Old 03-09-2017, 09:15 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Frank wrote:
[...]

them running around and they just might crash through it.Â* I had
netted off a group of hydrangeas but when my chestnuts came in and
the yard was full of deer they crashed through it.Â* Planting 2
Chinese chestnuts was a mistake.Â* The trees are healthy and I get
more chestnuts than I and neighbors need at sacrifice of garden.
Most of our neighbors only cut the grass around the house and leave
the rest grow wild.Â* A couple of years ago when a granddaughter
[...]

We have 3 or 4 individual collectors come in as garbage is handled by
owner not a district. We could cut them back by agreeing to single
collector and get somewhat cheaper rates. There is a separate recycle
container so up to 8 trucks could come here every week.

Old 07-09-2017, 10:36 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

songbird wrote:

the early sorting is coming along

http://www.anthive.com/img/beans/thm..._Beans_thm.jpg

songbird