Old 10-09-2017, 08:03 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Blue Pumpkins

Our two varieties of blue pumpkins both ripened this past week. The big, lumpy ones in back are Blue Hubbard squash and the more pumpkin-shaped ones in front are Queensland Blue. They weigh about 11 pounds and 9 pounds, respectively.

http://s1346.photobucket.com/user/pa...tml?sort=3&o=0

About half of the patch is picked but a few varieties are still growing.

Paul
Old 10-09-2017, 08:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 9/10/2017 1:03 PM, Pavel314 wrote:
Our two varieties of blue pumpkins both ripened this past week. The big, lumpy ones in back are Blue Hubbard squash and the more pumpkin-shaped ones in front are Queensland Blue. They weigh about 11 pounds and 9 pounds, respectively.

http://s1346.photobucket.com/user/pa...tml?sort=3&o=0

About half of the patch is picked but a few varieties are still growing.

Paul

They sure don't look appetizing with that gray coloring. I don't eat
much pumpkin or squash anyway but it looks like a good, big crop. I
wonder what a pumpkin pie would look like from one of those. G

George
Old 10-09-2017, 08:54 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Pavel314 wrote:
Our two varieties of blue pumpkins both ripened this past week. The big, lumpy ones in back are Blue Hubbard squash and the more pumpkin-shaped ones in front are Queensland Blue. They weigh about 11 pounds and 9 pounds, respectively.

http://s1346.photobucket.com/user/pa...tml?sort=3&o=0

About half of the patch is picked but a few varieties are still growing.

i usually pick everything later rather than sooner.
we have sunny and warm weather the rest of the week
at least that is what the forecast is saying. squash
can wait while we get the tomatoes and peppers done
and i get caught up on a project while the sun is
shining.

but the past few evenings we've had temps down into
the 30s now so things are getting the message to finish
up soon.

some beans are still green/growing/flowering and i'm
surprised the pepper plants are not pouting about the
cold and seem to be doing ok today.

songbird
Old 10-09-2017, 11:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 9/10/2017 1:54 PM, songbird wrote:
Pavel314 wrote:
[...]

And I was just complaining to the boss lady about getting up to low
sixties in the morning. I could not live where it got below that. Spent
some time in the frozen north as a young man and learned quickly I am
not made for anywhere it freezes. Brr!!

George
Old 11-09-2017, 03:09 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sun, 10 Sep 2017 13:45:14 -0500, George Shirley
wrote:

On 9/10/2017 1:03 PM, Pavel314 wrote:
Our two varieties of blue pumpkins both ripened this past week. The big, lumpy ones in back are Blue Hubbard squash and the more pumpkin-shaped ones in front are Queensland Blue. They weigh about 11 pounds and 9 pounds, respectively.

http://s1346.photobucket.com/user/pa...tml?sort=3&o=0

About half of the patch is picked but a few varieties are still growing.

Paul

They sure don't look appetizing with that gray coloring. I don't eat
much pumpkin or squash anyway but it looks like a good, big crop. I
wonder what a pumpkin pie would look like from one of those. G

George

I have never eaten the lumpy one, but Queensland Blue is a delicious
pumpkin, very orange and intensely flavoured, especially when roasted.

JB

Old 11-09-2017, 02:51 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sunday, September 10, 2017 at 2:45:15 PM UTC-4, George Shirley wrote:
On 9/10/2017 1:03 PM, Pavel314 wrote:
Our two varieties of blue pumpkins both ripened this past week. The big, lumpy ones in back are Blue Hubbard squash and the more pumpkin-shaped ones in front are Queensland Blue. They weigh about 11 pounds and 9 pounds, respectively.

http://s1346.photobucket.com/user/pa...tml?sort=3&o=0

About half of the patch is picked but a few varieties are still growing..

Paul

They sure don't look appetizing with that gray coloring. I don't eat
much pumpkin or squash anyway but it looks like a good, big crop. I
wonder what a pumpkin pie would look like from one of those. G

George

Unfortunately, beneath that greyish-blue exterior the flesh is the usual orange pumpkin color. I had hoped for a blue pumpkin pie. Some years back we had chickens that laid green eggs; I was very disappointed when I broke the first one to find that the contents were the usual egg color; a green yolk would have been more entertaining.

We grew the Blue Hubbard last year and they're a very good winter squash. They keep for months and whatever we don't eat go to the sheep.

Paul
Old 11-09-2017, 02:54 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sunday, September 10, 2017 at 4:14:03 PM UTC-4, songbird wrote:
Pavel314 wrote:
[...]

The pumpkin vines died back in the back half of the patch and the vines detached from the fruit easily, so I gathered them up. We still have a dozen or so neck pumpkins out in the field; their vines and leaves are still going strong, so I'll leave them until they wilt.

Paul
Old 11-09-2017, 03:00 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

On 9/10/2017 1:03 PM, Pavel314 wrote:
Our two varieties of blue pumpkins both ripened this past week. The big, lumpy ones in back are Blue Hubbard squash and the more pumpkin-shaped ones in front are Queensland Blue. They weigh about 11 pounds and 9 pounds, respectively.

http://s1346.photobucket.com/user/pa...tml?sort=3&o=0

About half of the patch is picked but a few varieties are still growing.

Paul

They sure don't look appetizing with that gray coloring. I don't eat
much pumpkin or squash anyway but it looks like a good, big crop. I
wonder what a pumpkin pie would look like from one of those. G

George

I have never eaten the lumpy one, but Queensland Blue is a delicious
pumpkin, very orange and intensely flavoured, especially when roasted.

JB

Thanks for the input; my wife will be interested in roasting them.

Paul
Old 11-09-2017, 03:18 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 9/11/2017 7:51 AM, Pavel314 wrote:
[...]

We had those fancy chickens a long time ago, tuffed head, tuffed feet,
funny little birds, each one laid a different color. Finally ate them
all as there eggs were small and not often. Went back to standard laying
hens. Lady of the house tried various chickens and we went back to the
old standard laying hens. I grew up on a small farm as did my wife, our
Dad's went off to work five days a week so we had to do the chores.

This is our last home, just big enough for us and our stuff, small lot,
easy to mow. Just sitting around waiting our turn for the Pearly Gates. G

George