Old 25-09-2017, 12:05 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Fall garden

Looks like wife has mostly finished her fall garden. She pulled out and
potted the still growing plants, mostly tomatoes, then took out the old
man made soil, ie. mixture that is worn out. Added several bags of Black
Cow (composted cow manure), added more peat moss to hold the moisture
and mixed it all up again. Then she put back the plants that will still
produce, we hope, then put in the fall seeds. I didn't bother to look at
what she's growing as it is generally a lot of greens, more green beans
(yes, in our climate we can often make two crops of beans) and, it looks
like she planted some well grown tomatoes, (hope springs in good hearts)
and a few things I didn't read the labels on. I can hardly bend over or
stoop anymore, seems the arthritic back is getting worse. Trying to get
appointments with the doctors is often a chore with so many people here
about. I can remember when Houston and Harris County, Texas was still a
cow town. Now it's about fifth largest in the US, I think.

Fifty years ago I used to come over to Houston for the "Houston Fat
Stock" show with my fancy rabbits and the occasional milk goat. Those
were some good days living on ten acres with lots of critters, crops,
etc. and we were young enough and strong enough to do all sorts of
things. Now we complain about our aches and pains and limp a lot.

Turned 78 yesterday and our daughter brought us dinner to celebrate. Her
three children and six grandchildren called and sang the Happy Birthday
song to keep my old face grinning. Particularly the great grands singing
to me made me happy.

Now we will be checking on the fresh garden and keeping an eye on the
ripening kumquats. I do like kumquat marmalade. G

George
Old 25-09-2017, 01:10 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 9/24/2017 5:05 PM, George Shirley wrote:
[...]

Happy belated birthday, George. I bet you had a wonderful time with
them singing to you. I know I do when my grands come over!

--
Maggie
Old 25-09-2017, 02:18 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 9/24/2017 6:10 PM, Muggles wrote:
[...]

My youngest great granddaughter, Ellie, stayed with us a couple of days
ago while her Mom was taking care of her business. She is about five or
less (I have so many great grands I can't remember how old they are) and
is very articulate for a child that young. I had not been around her
much until then, she talks like an adult in many ways, pronunciation is
more adult, she can read and write already, and sounds like an adult
when you talk to her. Of course she is the youngest of four sisters,
eldest is now seventeen and every two years on down for the rest. I was
amazed at listening to her explain how her toys worked, told me the
colors of our walls, could spell her name and knew her address and hone
phone number. I would like to say my genius went to her but that
wouldn't be true as I was a regular child at that age but spoke like an
adult, could read and write at four, etc. I, too, had two big sisters,
nine and twelve years older than me. I'm happy to see she has been
taught by her family. Today's children have so many advantages that we
old folks didn't have and I'm glad of it.

George
Old 25-09-2017, 05:22 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 9/24/2017 7:18 PM, George Shirley wrote:
[...]

Happy belated birthday, George.Â* I bet you had a wonderful time with
them singing to you.Â* I know I do when my grands come over!

[...]

My grandson is 5 now, and he is coming along nicely on learning all if
his reading and writing, too.

--
Maggie
Old 25-09-2017, 07:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 9/25/2017 10:35 AM, Derald wrote:
George Shirley wrote:

Looks like wife has mostly finished her fall garden. She pulled out and
potted the still growing plants, mostly tomatoes, then took out the old
man made soil, ie. mixture that is worn out. Added several bags of Black
Cow (composted cow manure), added more peat moss to hold the moisture
and mixed it all up again. Then she put back the plants that will still
produce, we hope, then put in the fall seeds

Lordy that woman does a lot of work. There must be an easier way.
BTW: Try mushroom compost next time and you'll throw rocks at that sandy
Black Cow. Most of the beds I'm using now were built by my wife in
1997. I've added a few, as well as a few containers. After a hiatus of
a few years, gardening resumed in 2008, or thereabouts (at least, that's
as far back as I have records and receipts) and led to quite a bit of
de-rooting and soil rejuvenation. Mushroom compost was a big help. Took
a while to re-establish relations with the present generation running
the drug-free dairy down the road a few miles (been getting cow pies
there, on-and-off, since late 1970s) and to find a new source for
drug-free, bedding-free road apples so I could stop _buying_ all of that
stuff and spend the money on a damnable Ford truck, instead.

No mushroom farms here that we can find, Black Cow is about the best we
can do and is reasonably cheap. We have no soil to speak of, a little
sand on top of five feet of gumbo clay. Raised bed seems to work okay
with the Black Cow, peat by the bale, lots of home compost including
grass clippings, shredded paper, etc. done in our composter.
On my own, I'd be so no-till that folks would think me a garden
ornament and Ruth Stout would be so very pleased but native tree roots
(pine, magnolia—and someone actually brought the damned magnolia _in_
here from a swamp in 1980, or thereabouts) keep me digging but, man, I
don't replace any dirt. Hell, I just keep building the sides of the
beds higher as I add good stuff to the mix and adjust pH from time to
time. If I live long enough, maybe one day I won't have to stoop, kneel
or bend ;-)
This garden is going in late this autumn. Actually, it was late in
the spring,too; just one of those things... Still have peas to glean
and pull sometime today, mature okra that needs pruning in an attempt at
revival as well as fall okra just coming into fruition. Several
varieties of peppers bearing full-bore and I'm going to keep them going
as far into cool weather as they'll cooperate. I'd like to make the
okra and peppers last as long as possible in order to re-stock the
freezer. Late eggplant is showing a few blossoms, but that doesn't mean
anything. Eggplants appear to bloom just for the helluvit—in my garden,
at least. I've even hand-pollinated with no verifiable success. Have
seedling mustard greens–the ones the 'coons got into on Irma Day–ready
to thin and distribute in their bed.
The Garden is very small (200 ft², if my 'rithmetic is correct)
and achieving consistent year-round production requires a bit of
planning around interplanting, succession, and rotation. And how I do
love plans; don't even have to be good plans. Of course, in-depth
planning requires ingestion of a right smart of single malt.
Damn: Miz Costello (Diana Krall) can _play_ a piano!

Our garden is two raised beds, 4X8, total garden 128 square feet, plus a
two foot wide section of "garden" around two thirds of the six foot
fence. You gotta do what you have to when you live in a small
subdivision. Left a home with a eighteen foot wide by 24 foot long
garden on real soil in Louisiana. We wanted to move where our children,
grands, and great grands were so we're stuck with what we have to work
with. We have a fig tree, a kumquat tree, and a pear tree also. It works
for two old people and one of whom is crippled, me, can't bend over,
barely can walk, can't dig, mow, or hardly anything else. Not from being
damaged in wrecks or anything, all of it is heart attacks, strokes, and
hard work. I used to be a chemical plant operator and had to climb
ladders up to 300 feet high but the heart problems, strokes,etc. came
much later. Runs in the family. Heck, as I've said, we used to farm ten
acres of rich Texas soil, had cows, goats, rabbits, chickens, ducks,
turkey's, etc. Now we have a Rat Terrier who terrifies the local rats
and other squirrels.

Old 26-09-2017, 12:04 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

George Shirley wrote:

No mushroom farms here that we can find, Black Cow is about the best we
can do and is reasonably cheap.

Well, that's getting it the hard way. I bought mine in plastic
bags. It was stacked right next to the Black Cow at the almost local
Lowe's handy homeowner BBS. Home Desperate may have it, too.

That's Home Despot, I don't go there after being screwed once on a
purchase.(If you can't read my typing it's my bad hand.) Plus Lowe's is
closer and cheaper, really don't go there except for light bulbs to fit
our Chinese lamps, bought in Sordid Arabia, and cow poop in a bag. Never
thought as a country boy that you could actually buy the same poop I
scooped up from out milk cow. My chore was to bring up the cow and calf,
milk the cow, by hand of course, strain the milk (don't know why but Mom
said to, looked like good milk to me), then I had to get the butter fat
with the machine that got the butter fat out, then bottle the milk and
into the big fridge, in hopes our neighbor's without a cow would buy
some. I used to use a small rope to tie the cow's tail to her leg so it
wouldn't swat me while she was being milked. I hated that nasty old cow,
was glad when we turned the bull calf and his momma into steaks and
roast and we then bought milk. Yay!
Old 26-09-2017, 02:51 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 9/25/2017 6:20 PM, Derald wrote:
George Shirley wrote:

That's Home Despot, I don't go there after being screwed once on a
purchase.(If you can't read my typing it's my bad hand.) Plus Lowe's is
closer and cheaper,

I spent my last "working" years in a high-pressure industry of no
significance whatever save for the exorbitant amounts of money spent in
its pursuit—"making movies". We went to home depot only when desperate
and real suppliers could not be found. Hence the name. Those stores
seem to have everything except one absolutely necessary item to complete
a project. Man, when it first came to my town, the HD gnomes seemed to
be well trained and eager to offer help. It wasn't too long, however,
before those same minions became adept at spotting a face with a
question and disappearing.
FWIW: DW&I (along with some talented assistants) made columns and
walls fall, made trees rain, made dusty roads dusty and rusty items
rusty, all manner of actions occur on cue time after time, disguised and
"disappeared" buildings, altered apparent tree line, that sort of thing.
Sounds as if it must have been fun, huh? Well, it wasn't.
Here, Home Depot and Lowes are directly across a US highway from
each other. I go to Lowes because it is on the same side of the road as
I. Can't get Bt there, though.

Which Bt you looking for ? I scored a bag of Aizawai on eBay . Use it
for wax moth control in my bee hives .

Â* --

Â* Snag