Old 27-09-2017, 09:39 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Cajun gumbo

One of the good things we brought back to Texas from our twenty odd
years in Louisiana is gumbo. Basically for the folks out there that
don't know about it is pretty much a stew or soup. This one is link
sausage and chicken, many gumbos are made that way routinely.

The beauty of it for us is we grew the onions and garlic and made the
rue from scratch, you might have to look up rue, basically cooked flour
with spices in a skillet, some call it roux but most don't where we learned.

She had a bowl for her lunch but I'm holding off until the evening meal
as I'm trying to get below 200 lbs again. I'm not that fat but the 9 lbs
over 200 annoys me a lot. With the disabilities I have with my legs and
arms I do need to get some weight off. I can remember when I weighed 145
lbs in the Navy, and weighed 160 when I had to climb chemical towers and
prefer to get as low as I can.

It is starting to be a wee cooler here than mid-summer, when we had
temps over 100F frequently. Still hitting some days up to 90 or 91 but
we have had some nice cooling winds.

The fall garden is all planted, the kumquats won't turn yellow for a few
months more but they are getting bigger. The fig tree is done for the
year as is the pear tree. Pear tree still has some small fruit on the
limbs but I don't expect them to mature.

The attempt to grow blue berries didn't work, they died. I am going to
take out the soil, etc. in the one foot high container and mix it up
again and am thinking, come spring, of planting blackberries and have
them climb a lattice. As blackberries are native to this area they
should do okay. This time I think I am going to get thorn less berries
as I don't like to be pricked that much.

George
Old 30-09-2017, 02:49 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Wednesday, September 27, 2017 at 4:39:43 PM UTC-4, George Shirley wrote:
[...]

We're still getting figs here in the Baltimore, Maryland, area.

I've never had any luck with berries. The blueberries died out although I gave them the proper pH and constant care. I found some wild red raspberries growing on stone cliff faces while kayaking and tried transplanting them but they didn't take. The wild blackberries are great in some years, but when I tried transplanting them to a domesticated row, they all died. I guess I'm just not a berry guy.

Paul
Old 30-09-2017, 03:04 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 9/29/2017 8:49 PM, Pavel314 wrote:
[...]

Look at some of the veggie and berry catalogs for your area, lots of
them have been grown to fit in different climates and dirt. I look at
them on line and then look at what other people in my area have to say
about them. Works pretty good most of the time.

George