Old 09-05-2003, 06:44 PM
Jayne

Default Squash growing

Can I grow squash in a container? I want to plant some Patty Pan squash &
wondered if they'd grow in a container if I tied them up a cane wigwam?

Thanks,
Jayne

Old 10-05-2003, 11:56 AM
Pat Kiewicz

Jayne said:

Can I grow squash in a container? I want to plant some Patty Pan squash &
wondered if they'd grow in a container if I tied them up a cane wigwam?

Summer squash can be grown in a container (a BIG container).

I believe that most summer squash varieties are bush-type plants, so
they will not need a support.

There seems to be an amazing number of half-wine barrels available this
year. Every time I've gone to a garden center this spring I end up smelling
musty spoiled wine. (Is this just a local phenomenon?) In any case, these
would be big enough to grow a pair of summer squash plants, maybe.
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 10-05-2003, 12:08 PM
Keith Karausky

Every time I've gone to a garden center this spring I end up smelling
musty spoiled wine

The local garden centers are full of them also but ours smell more like Jack
Daniel's.

Old 10-05-2003, 05:44 PM
Jayne

I've planted the seeds today & will see how they do - thank you!

Jayne

Old 10-05-2003, 06:32 PM
Dan

On Fri, 9 May 2003 14:06:53 +0000 (UTC), "Jayne"
wrote:

Can I grow squash in a container? I want to plant some Patty Pan squash &
wondered if they'd grow in a container if I tied them up a cane wigwam?

This might sound crazy at first, but I've been thinking of putting a 5
gallon pot of squash on the rooftop, cuz I dont have any other place
to put them this year

I have some scrap wood lying around, and was gonna cut the legs so
they slanted with the roof and thus the platform would be flat. Heck,
if a roof is designed to hold several tons of snow, it should handle 2
or 3 five-gallon pots no sweat.

Dan