GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   wild tomatillo over winter question (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/214980-wild-tomatillo-over-winter-question.html)

T[_4_] 14-10-2017 04:13 AM

wild tomatillo over winter question

Hi All,

Now that I have grown tomatillo for three years, they
love to grow all over the place, but not where I
want them. They love to grow up in the middle of my
cherry tomato jungle, among other places.

I have also noticed they really, really don't like
to be transplanted. I use peat cups. I plant the
cups into my pots. Sowing directly is the most successful
method.

This years I was thinking that after clearing my ground pots
of weeds. Then prepping the six holes I want to grow
tomatillos with fertilizer. Then taking some of the fruits
that were almost ready when the freeze came, smashing them
under foot and covering them with a little dirt on the
targeted ground pots to overwinter.

Your thoughts?

Many thanks,
-T

songbird[_2_] 14-10-2017 11:45 AM

T wrote:
I have also noticed they really, really don't like
to be transplanted. I use peat cups. I plant the
cups into my pots. Sowing directly is the most successful
method.

use a deeper/longer cell to start them in.

This years I was thinking that after clearing my ground pots
of weeds. Then prepping the six holes I want to grow
tomatillos with fertilizer. Then taking some of the fruits
that were almost ready when the freeze came, smashing them
under foot and covering them with a little dirt on the
targeted ground pots to overwinter.

Your thoughts?

may work ok, but vary the depth of the dirt.

songbird