Old 29-10-2017, 02:21 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default light frost

Went out at daylight and found frost on the grass but not on the raised
bed gardens. Looks like we might get a freeze before to long but I hope not.

The born again pears (first crop came on in early January and then were
hit twice with a hard freeze. Then they came back blooming and putting
on fruit and that fruit is turning a russet color toward ripeness and
are being hunted by another freeze. Naturally the fruit are about the
size of a golf ball so there's not going to be much fruit to eat or
preserve. Maybe next season, aka January 2018, we won't have a double
down freeze again.

Not only all that above but the tree is blooming again, I'm afraid
there's going to be another hard freeze before spring. I'm thinking of
throwing a tarp over the tree just to save the blooms for next year.
Have some old two by fours about sixteen feet long that might just hold
up a tarp and might even confuse the folks driving by. G

George
Old 29-10-2017, 03:28 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 10/29/2017 8:21 AM, George Shirley wrote:
[...]

Â* It was like 18° this morning at 7:25 when I went out to warm up the
car for my wife . Frosty ! The garden is finished , stuff was turning
black yesterday after an overnight low in the high 20's . Methinks
Winter has made an appearance here ...

Â* --

Â* Snag

Old 29-10-2017, 05:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 10/29/2017 9:28 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
[...]

My wife has to start a cold car, she was raised in Maryland, it gets
cold there. G
Old 29-10-2017, 05:55 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 10/29/2017 11:29 AM, George Shirley wrote:
[...]

Â*Â* It was like 18° this morning at 7:25 when I went out to warm up
the car for my wife . Frosty ! The garden is finished , stuff was
turning black yesterday after an overnight low in the high 20's .
Methinks Winter has made an appearance here ...

Â*Â* --

Â*Â* Snag

My wife has to start a cold car, she was raised in Maryland, it gets
cold there. G

Â* I do it mainly to defrost the windows . She hates waiting for it to
warm up . If it's too frosted up I'll scrape the side windows , but
prefer to let it melt the windshield . Back glass and the mirrors have
'lectricky heat so I don't mess with those .

Â* --

Â* Snag

Old 31-10-2017, 04:59 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

[...]

Pears! yummmmmm!

--
Maggie

Old 31-10-2017, 05:02 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

[...]

We've been just shy of freezing temps at night. Our neighbor had some
plants in her garden die over night, but my begonias must love the cold
temps because they didn't seem to mind the low temps at all. I took
cuttings off the angel wing begonias to root them. It's cool how they
just keep on going.

Our hot peppers are growing like the begonias, too. We have a bumper
crop of ghost, habaneros, and chili's!

--
Maggie