Old 07-11-2017, 02:23 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Where is everyone?

Surely we Texan's are not the only gardeners still gardening! We are
still getting warm days here in early November. Today at 0710 the
temperature is 72F and expected to rise to 82F.

Some of the spring/summer garden is still growing and producing and our
(winter) garden is also growing and producing. We have to mow the grass
every two weeks whether or not we want to or the busy bodies start
calling about "sloppy" yards. Yes, even Texas has these people, both
male and female, most of whom have people come in weekly to mow and trim
and fight to get the beloved "Yard of the Month" sign on their front lawn.

We may be getting some days soon in the low sixties but I have yet to
see anything on my weather app that says freeze or hard freeze, or even
rain at this time.

Mean time we are still on air conditioning most of the time but
generally can turn it off at night as we still have some low seventies
to enjoy the saving of electricity for a bit.

The Rat Terrier seems to think she will freeze to death at temps below
80F so seeks her blanket a lot of the time. She is getting a bit old,
turning ten years in May of this year and her muzzle is getting white
too. The great grands pet her occasionally and she likes that plus she's
shedding her summer coat so I have to brush her daily. At least the
plant on the back porch enjoys the brushing too. The dog hair goes into
"Herman's" pot and the hair has a good bit of protein in it so the plant
grows as the dog shrinks. G

Our fairly large family is talking about who does Thanksgiving this
year. Luckily, as the senior portion of the family, we only have to
bring a couple of lemon meringue pies that Grannie makes and then we get
to eat a lot of good food that all of our kids, grands, and even the
elder great grands cook up. And, now, the doctor has put me on a diet,
need to lose 20 lbs off my 208 and, so far, have lost four lbs without
starving to death. G The dog misses the leftovers too.

George
Old 07-11-2017, 02:36 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Tuesday, November 7, 2017 at 8:23:59 AM UTC-5, George Shirley wrote:
[...]

Not much gardening going on in the Baltimore area these days. All the citrus trees and begonia pots are in the greenhouse for the coming winter, along with enough coleus cuttings to replenish the flower gardens next year.

I made a few necessary repairs to my wife's "auxiliaries", as she calls her portable cold frames. We'll put them over her late fall crops in the next day or so. I covered the two shade cages with plastic sheeting as an experiment; seems like they should keep things warm and light, if the wind doesn't rip off the plastic. Here they are, all lined up on the lawn after repairs:

http://s1346.photobucket.com/user/pa...tml?sort=3&o=0

Paul
Old 07-11-2017, 03:37 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 11/7/2017 8:23 AM, George Shirley wrote:
[...]

Season over and next big job is leaves. Going to wait until they all
fall then call my tree man to take out a couple and clean up others.
Grass cutting is over although I might use it to help remove leaves.
Old 07-11-2017, 04:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 11/7/2017 8:37 AM, Frank wrote:
[...]

Season over and next big job is leaves.Â* Going to wait until they all
fall then call my tree man to take out a couple and clean up others.
Grass cutting is over although I might use it to help remove leaves.

The kumquat, pear, and fig tree all still have leaves. The kumquat are
slowly turning orange so we can pick them. The pears, the second crop
after losing the first crop in January, are still small but are ripening
anyway. The first really cold day the fig will drop its leaves quickly.
The kumquat doesn't lose leaves all at once but does drop a few along as
it goes.

Coming from a home in Louisiana that had old growth oaks, etc. we miss
the leaves for our composter. Nowadays we just get grass, the kitchen
trash that is useful, and, of course, lots and lots of newspaper, etc.
going through the shredder. I have four bags full now, waiting for the
stuff in the composter to finish and go into the garden.

In a small city lot, 6500 square feet, you have to scramble to get stuff
to feed the gardens. I'm awaiting early spring to redo the back fence,
which was badly built to start with, not my fault, the former owners.
Seems most of the fencing people in Houston area don't like to work in
the winter, even if it's still like summer. Or, they may be busy
rebuilding the fences eaten by the hurricanes earlier this year. My two
eldest grandsons keep telling me they can build the back fence but I
haven't seen any movement there. One drives for UPS and the other is an
elevator mechanic and often works twelve to sixteen hour days repairing
the many elevators in Houston area. I want to do it right this time but
have to go through the ~!@##$% HOA group that are particular. This time
I'm wanting to put in galvanized steel posts and cedar boards, still six
feet tall though. I miss the country where we have mostly lived for the
57 years we've been married. We are close to our grands and great grands
and that's somewhat of a good thing.

Old 07-11-2017, 06:26 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 11/7/2017 10:41 AM, George Shirley wrote:
[...]

We are close to our families too, all three sons and families within a
10 mile radius. Nice to have nearby but with all working hard, we do
more for them than they do for us.

I used to compost a lot but have a mulching mower. I could get free
compost from a county yard waste site where you can haul yard waste and
Christmas trees and they grind it as mulch. Lot of work to fill a
couple bags and find when using it that it was more compost than mulch.

Old 07-11-2017, 11:21 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 11/07/2017 05:23 AM, George Shirley wrote:
Surely we Texan's are not the only gardeners still gardening! We are
still getting warm days here in early November. Today at 0710 the
temperature is 72F and expected to rise to 82F.

Ball and chain around my leg updating computers.

In the words of Bugs Bunny, "It's a living"

Old 07-11-2017, 11:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Tuesday, November 7, 2017 at 5:21:58 PM UTC-5, T wrote:
On 11/07/2017 05:23 AM, George Shirley wrote:
Surely we Texan's are not the only gardeners still gardening! We are
still getting warm days here in early November. Today at 0710 the
temperature is 72F and expected to rise to 82F.

Ball and chain around my leg updating computers.

In the words of Bugs Bunny, "It's a living"

My favorite delivery of that line was in Rocky I where Rocky is confronted by the crusty old trainer in the gym. Quotations approximate but give the gist of the exchange.

Rocky: Why don't you like me?

Trainer: You had talent, you could have been a contender, but now you just beat up people for some cheap hood!

Rocky: It's a living.

Paul

Old 07-11-2017, 11:48 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 11/7/2017 4:21 PM, T wrote:
On 11/07/2017 05:23 AM, George Shirley wrote:
Surely we Texan's are not the only gardeners still gardening! We are
still getting warm days here in early November. Today at 0710 the
temperature is 72F and expected to rise to 82F.

Ball and chain around my leg updating computers.

In the words of Bugs Bunny, "It's a living"

I got my first computer in 1982, and fell in love with them. I used to
be a high speed typist before the days of strokes, could get 145 letters
a minute. Now, with fingers I can't feel very good I still get 20 or 30
words a minute and sometimes more.

That old Osborne One was a decent machine and then came along all the
really fast stuff that was smarter than some of my kin folk. G The O1
did good duty overseas working and we got the letters off on company
planes back to the states so our get could hear what we were doing. That
and two vacations a year kept us close to our kids, and later with our
first grands, who are now in their thirties. Time does fly.

Some of the folks I worked with overseas worked on computers bigger than
the house I live in. Since I was the top dog in safety I would inspect
the computer building. Mostly because it was really air conditioned and
learned a lot of stuff about computers, probably more than I needed. G

I don't miss the days of walking around in chemical plants and
refineries and even offices. I don't miss fighting fires, gas releases,
and wearing all that protective gear. I do miss getting to see the
latest and greatest stuff like computers, etc. when they first come out.

Heck, when I was a young fellow and learned how to use typewriters that
mystified my folks I thought it was great, at least it beat a fountain
pen or a pencil. I just wonder what else is coming down the pipe that my
grands, and great grands will get wide eyed and want one of them just
for me.

Keep working on the electronics T, we're going to need all of them.
Old 08-11-2017, 12:19 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 11/07/2017 02:48 PM, George Shirley wrote:
On 11/7/2017 4:21 PM, T wrote:
[...]

I remember when the first back space and erase tape came out. I
was in heaven!

Keep working on the electronics T, we're going to need all of them.

I get tired of it every so often. I tell myself that my ability
to handle issues and roll with the punches is why folks call me.
I always prevail -- I am really, really good at it -- but sometimes
I wish things would just go right every so often. But if they always
did, no one would call me. It is really annoying when I have to fix
my own stuff.

In my next life, I want to be a fishing guide. In this life
TROUT FEAR ME! I have been catching a lot of fish lately,
take a picture of them, let them go.

Old 08-11-2017, 12:21 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 11/07/2017 02:45 PM, Pavel314 wrote:
On Tuesday, November 7, 2017 at 5:21:58 PM UTC-5, T wrote:
On 11/07/2017 05:23 AM, George Shirley wrote:
Surely we Texan's are not the only gardeners still gardening! We are
still getting warm days here in early November. Today at 0710 the
temperature is 72F and expected to rise to 82F.

Ball and chain around my leg updating computers.

In the words of Bugs Bunny, "It's a living"

My favorite delivery of that line was in Rocky I where Rocky is confronted by the crusty old trainer in the gym. Quotations approximate but give the gist of the exchange.

Rocky: Why don't you like me?

Trainer: You had talent, you could have been a contender, but now you just beat up people for some cheap hood!

Rocky: It's a living.

Paul

Chuckle! It is a living.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJKcdlj-Uiw

Old 08-11-2017, 02:37 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 11/7/2017 4:21 PM, T wrote:
[...]

I remember when the first back space and erase tape came out.Â* I
was in heaven!

Keep working on the electronics T, we're going to need all of them.

I get tired of it every so often.Â* I tell myself that my ability
to handle issues and roll with the punches is why folks call me.
I always prevail -- I am really, really good at it -- but sometimes
I wish things would just go right every so often.Â* But if they always
did, no one would call me.Â* It is really annoying when I have to fix
my own stuff.

In my next life, I want to be a fishing guide.Â* In this life
TROUT FEAR ME!Â* I have been catching a lot of fish lately,
take a picture of them, let them go.

There's not much money in being a guide of any kind. You need to love it
to like it. I have guided deer and bear hunters plus fishermen on
occasion. Grew up in the Piney woods of SE Texas and I started guiding
at about fourteen. Just a few jobs a year but money was money where I
grew up. Quit that when I went in the Navy at seventeen, never took it
up again. Bad memories of some of the people I guided, just a few takes
a lot out of the job. If there was a job, or maybe two, I would work for
them. Finally worked for myself and liked it best. I couldn't talk to
the boss without looking in a mirror and had to behave all the time.
Even wrote a few science fiction shorts but those eventually went away.
If it looks like I might like it I would do the job. My old folks all
worked with their hands and did well. I finally worked with my brain and
a lot of fun, met a lot of nice people and a number of the back ends of
a horse. At 78 the dog and I sleep a lot, I keep a good bit of the house
clean, do the grocery shopping (a bunch of us old geezers shop for our
homes on a Friday and all ride the electric carts) as long as we don't
race or play bumper cars the store's manager leaves us alone. All of us
are US military geezers of one sort or the other and we attend the
funerals of those who have gone on. Life is still good, even if I have
glasses, a cane, and a handicap plate on my car.
Old 08-11-2017, 04:22 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

[...]

I gave up on the garden. It got overgrown, and the neighbor behind us
lets their vines on their side of the fence go wild along with cane that
is planted on the back of the fence. It keeps creeping into my garden,
and it's almost as tall as the telephone pole it's planted nearby.

After everything dies I'll wait 'til it's all dried up good and begin
clearing it out. I'm so disgusted with the neighbors cane and vines that
I have to fight with every summer I'm just not sure I even want to try a
garden next year.

I'd really love to get me a tool I can just wack it all down with that
would work with my 18 volt battery tools. Any suggestions?

--
Maggie
Old 08-11-2017, 04:56 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 11/7/2017 4:21 PM, T wrote:
[...]

That is what it is all about George!
Old 08-11-2017, 03:20 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 11/7/2017 9:22 PM, Muggles wrote:
[...]

One thing you can do is put a barrier between the neighbors plantings.
Something like a steel or aluminum garden barrier, best about six inches
wide. Dig a small trench along your fence line to keep the cane, in
particular, from sending roots to your side of the fence.

Another thing is to talk to the neighbor and ask them to put in a
barrier on their side of the fence to keep his stuff from getting into
your stuff. Sometimes the neighbor is the south end of a north bound
horse and then you have to do it yourself.

I've had that problem a few times and, mainly, the neighbor does the
right thing. Sometimes they are the horse and things can get worse but
it is your property and shouldn't have to put up with a neighbor who
thinks he or she can do whatever they want on their side of the fence.

If you've already done that then you have to go to "warfare", either put
in the barrier yourself, or start pouring plant killer stuff along the
line. I prefer gun fire but society doesn't like it to much. VBG

As for the tool, go to your local Lowe's or whatever you might have and
ask about it. I bought our latest house because it backs on a pipeline
right of way and a detention pond plus the power poles for the
subdivision. Makes it much simpler as we can weed whack behind our fence
as I put in a gate. Wife and dog walk around the detention pond daily
for their exercise and I sit in a lawn chair and watch, just in case.

We lived for years in an area that had wild cane growing every where so
I do have experience on that stuff and have carefully avoided it since.

George