Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old 18-12-2017, 12:51 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,660
Default borer resistant squish

just reading along in another forum and
came across this and thought i would post it
here for T.

Tromboncino (a.k.a Zucchetta Rampicante)

a very long squash, can be harvested young
and used like zukes, but also runs a long vine
which will root at the junctions so it is
resistant to squash borer damage.

if left to grow long it also is a winter
squash. once it hits seed stage the vine
will stop producing so have to keep it picked.


songbird

  #2   Report Post  
Old 18-12-2017, 01:07 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,660
Default borer resistant squish

songbird wrote:

also named in that thread were rumbo squash
which i've never heard of and haven't grown.

the butternut or buttercup squash we grow
here are somewhat resistant in that they may
get borer damage but they will keep going.
a few of the plants may die, but not all.

now that we've got cross-breeds and seeds
harvested from several years they seem to
be resistant enough.


songbird
  #3   Report Post  
Old 18-12-2017, 02:07 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Dec 2009
Posts: 181
Default borer resistant squish

On Monday, December 18, 2017 at 8:07:28 AM UTC-5, songbird wrote:
songbird wrote:

also named in that thread were rumbo squash
which i've never heard of and haven't grown.

the butternut or buttercup squash we grow
here are somewhat resistant in that they may
get borer damage but they will keep going.
a few of the plants may die, but not all.

now that we've got cross-breeds and seeds
harvested from several years they seem to
be resistant enough.


songbird


We've been growing butterscotch squash for a couple of years; like butternut, but a richer taste and not fibrous.

Paul
  #4   Report Post  
Old 18-12-2017, 02:54 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,660
Default borer resistant squish

Pavel314 wrote:
....
We've been growing butterscotch squash for a couple of years; like butternut, but a richer taste and not fibrous.


ours are some kind of cross breed, looks like
between buttercup and common pumpkin, but not
sure. Mom likes 'em so we'll keep growing them.

i miswrote butternut in last past. we grew
those years ago but we like buttercup much more.


songbird
  #5   Report Post  
Old 19-12-2017, 04:25 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Dec 2017
Posts: 3
Default borer resistant squish

On 12/18/2017 7:07 AM, songbird wrote:
songbird wrote:

also named in that thread were rumbo squash
which i've never heard of and haven't grown.

the butternut or buttercup squash we grow
here are somewhat resistant in that they may
get borer damage but they will keep going.
a few of the plants may die, but not all.

now that we've got cross-breeds and seeds
harvested from several years they seem to
be resistant enough.


songbird


I love squash, but can't seem to ever get much fruit because the borers
always kill the plants right about the time the fruit just gets started
producing. I only have a few small raised beds, so can't really plant a
lot in hopes I'll still get some the borers missed.

Any ideas how to beat the borers?

--
Maggie


  #6   Report Post  
Old 22-12-2017, 09:59 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,660
Default borer resistant squish

Muggles wrote:
....
I love squash, but can't seem to ever get much fruit because the borers
always kill the plants right about the time the fruit just gets started
producing. I only have a few small raised beds, so can't really plant a
lot in hopes I'll still get some the borers missed.

Any ideas how to beat the borers?


with limited space, start your plants early enough
that they can get a good stem on them before planting
them out.

depending upon where you are at there are ways of
planting earlier or later to avoid some of the damage
but i think it helps more to just plant vines that
can survive the damage.

from other posts in this thread give buttercup or
rumbo a try. if you want ones that are like zuchini
try the other one mentioned: Tromboncino
(a.k.a Zucchetta Rampicante), pick early, they can
get long...

as far as picking off bugs, sprays and such, i've
never actually done that. the vines here get chewed
pretty well, a few don't survive, most do. i'm not
sure if it would help to put a paper bag over them
with a few holes for just the stem and leaves to
poke through while they are growing. perhaps by the
time the bags break down the stem will be bigger
and stronger. not having tried this i can't say
much else than sometime i may try it if i can remember.
more likely i'll forget about this by next spring/
summer...

i think i'll continue with the general trend i'm
on which is to keep growing them and not babying them
too much so that the weaklings get taken out and
the stronger survive.

i may look into other resistant types some time
if it seems to be worth a try. right now we are
finishing off the last few dozen of the squash
we picked last fall and they're very yum.


songbird
  #7   Report Post  
Old 22-12-2017, 10:53 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Dec 2017
Posts: 3
Default borer resistant squish

On 12/22/2017 3:59 PM, songbird wrote:
Muggles wrote:
...
I love squash, but can't seem to ever get much fruit because the borers
always kill the plants right about the time the fruit just gets started
producing. I only have a few small raised beds, so can't really plant a
lot in hopes I'll still get some the borers missed.

Any ideas how to beat the borers?


with limited space, start your plants early enough
that they can get a good stem on them before planting
them out.

depending upon where you are at there are ways of
planting earlier or later to avoid some of the damage
but i think it helps more to just plant vines that
can survive the damage.

from other posts in this thread give buttercup or
rumbo a try. if you want ones that are like zuchini
try the other one mentioned: Tromboncino
(a.k.a Zucchetta Rampicante), pick early, they can
get long...

as far as picking off bugs, sprays and such, i've
never actually done that. the vines here get chewed
pretty well, a few don't survive, most do. i'm not
sure if it would help to put a paper bag over them
with a few holes for just the stem and leaves to
poke through while they are growing. perhaps by the
time the bags break down the stem will be bigger
and stronger. not having tried this i can't say
much else than sometime i may try it if i can remember.
more likely i'll forget about this by next spring/
summer...

i think i'll continue with the general trend i'm
on which is to keep growing them and not babying them
too much so that the weaklings get taken out and
the stronger survive.

i may look into other resistant types some time
if it seems to be worth a try. right now we are
finishing off the last few dozen of the squash
we picked last fall and they're very yum.


songbird



I haven't heard of putting a paper bag over the stems before. It might
be worth a try, tho. thanks for the idea!

--
Maggie
  #8   Report Post  
Old 26-12-2017, 09:22 AM
Registered User
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Dec 2017
Posts: 3
Default

Nice thread! Thanks for the advice from me too. I love squash but never had much luck with it. Hope to stand a better chance next time
  #9   Report Post  
Old 07-01-2018, 08:20 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jan 2015
Posts: 713
Default borer resistant squish

On 12/18/2017 04:51 AM, songbird wrote:
just reading along in another forum and
came across this and thought i would post it
here for T.

Tromboncino (a.k.a Zucchetta Rampicante)

a very long squash, can be harvested young
and used like zukes, but also runs a long vine
which will root at the junctions so it is
resistant to squash borer damage.

if left to grow long it also is a winter
squash. once it hits seed stage the vine
will stop producing so have to keep it picked.


songbird


Not finding it on http://nutritiondata.self.com/

Does it have other names?
  #10   Report Post  
Old 07-01-2018, 08:21 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jan 2015
Posts: 713
Default borer resistant squish

On 12/18/2017 05:07 AM, songbird wrote:
butternut or buttercup


Not friendly to Diabetics. :'(


  #11   Report Post  
Old 07-01-2018, 08:28 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jan 2015
Posts: 713
Default borer resistant squish

On 12/18/2017 04:51 AM, songbird wrote:
Tromboncino (a.k.a Zucchetta Rampicante)



Hi Songbird,

http://www.accessatlanta.com/enterta...wwT6h1WKthdrO/

Per serving:
307 calories (percent of calories from fat, 53),
15 grams protein,
22 grams carbohydrates,
3 grams fiber,
18 grams fat (11 grams saturated),
104 milligrams cholesterol,
576 milligrams sodium

This is definitely NOT diabetic friendly. Rats!!!

Thank you for thinking of me anyway. It is very
much appreciated. :-)

Death to squash bugs!
Death to earwigs!
Death to Weeds!

Over three years drug free now. Thriving, not just surviving!

-T
  #12   Report Post  
Old 07-01-2018, 02:09 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,660
Default borer resistant squish

T wrote:
On 12/18/2017 04:51 AM, songbird wrote:
Tromboncino (a.k.a Zucchetta Rampicante)



Hi Songbird,

http://www.accessatlanta.com/enterta...wwT6h1WKthdrO/

Per serving:
307 calories (percent of calories from fat, 53),
15 grams protein,
22 grams carbohydrates,
3 grams fiber,
18 grams fat (11 grams saturated),
104 milligrams cholesterol,
576 milligrams sodium

This is definitely NOT diabetic friendly. Rats!!!


you are quoting a recipe with milk, cheese, butter, flour,
milk and onion added. not just the plain squash...

those numbers looked so "off" to me that i had to go
check it out. and yes, i was right, those are not
plain veggie numbers.


Thank you for thinking of me anyway. It is very
much appreciated. :-)


...


songbird
  #13   Report Post  
Old 07-01-2018, 02:12 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,660
Default borer resistant squish

T wrote:
songbird wrote:
butternut or buttercup


Not friendly to Diabetics. :'(


not likely given how "rich" they seem to me
when eating them, but the other Trombonico may
work.


songbird
  #14   Report Post  
Old 07-01-2018, 04:15 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jan 2007
Posts: 126
Default borer resistant squish

On Sun, 7 Jan 2018 00:21:10 -0800, T wrote:

On 12/18/2017 05:07 AM, songbird wrote:
butternut or buttercup


Not friendly to Diabetics. :'(



There is no problem with eating either in moderation. You should
consult with a diabetic dietician before trying to scare folks off
particular foods.

Diabetics, depending on type of disease and status of control, can
react uniquely to individual items. Personal testing is necessary to
determine how any particular food affects BG levels. This can get more
complicated when one eats a variety of foods together, as some combos
can help eliminate spikes.
  #15   Report Post  
Old 08-01-2018, 03:00 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jan 2015
Posts: 713
Default borer resistant squish

On 01/07/2018 06:09 AM, songbird wrote:
T wrote:
On 12/18/2017 04:51 AM, songbird wrote:
Tromboncino (a.k.a Zucchetta Rampicante)



Hi Songbird,

http://www.accessatlanta.com/enterta...wwT6h1WKthdrO/

Per serving:
307 calories (percent of calories from fat, 53),
15 grams protein,
22 grams carbohydrates,
3 grams fiber,
18 grams fat (11 grams saturated),
104 milligrams cholesterol,
576 milligrams sodium

This is definitely NOT diabetic friendly. Rats!!!


you are quoting a recipe with milk, cheese, butter, flour,
milk and onion added. not just the plain squash...

those numbers looked so "off" to me that i had to go
check it out. and yes, i was right, those are not
plain veggie numbers.



My bad. I will keep looking to see if I can find
nutrition data on them by themselves.


Thank you for thinking of me anyway. It is very
much appreciated. :-)


...


songbird




Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Disease Resistant/Mildew Resistant Tomato SH United Kingdom 7 04-01-2004 03:52 AM
Squash Vine Borer BB North Carolina 5 11-07-2003 06:14 PM
foiling the squash vine borer-now: green bean question Julia Altshuler Gardening 3 02-06-2003 04:08 AM
foiling the squash vine borer Julia Altshuler Gardening 17 31-05-2003 11:20 AM
[IBC] spots on boxwood (was leaf borer on kingsville boxwood) Sam Williams Bonsai 0 30-04-2003 01:08 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:49 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2018 GardenBanter.co.uk.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Gardening"

 

Copyright © 2017