Old 30-01-2018, 03:26 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default anybody home?

it has been a while and not much new to report
when it comes down to garden items.

at least until the weather warms up and spring
gets closer...

however, before then i have to test out a few
things yet, one of them, is a post to here to see
who's still around.

in the meantime i'm discovering a lot of new
varieties of beans i'd like to have, but most of
them are climbers, so i don't have nearly enough
fence space to grow them all.

hope everyone is well and avoiding the flu?

songbird
Old 30-01-2018, 06:09 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 1/29/2018 8:26 PM, songbird wrote:
it has been a while and not much new to report
when it comes down to garden items.

at least until the weather warms up and spring
gets closer...

however, before then i have to test out a few
things yet, one of them, is a post to here to see
who's still around.

in the meantime i'm discovering a lot of new
varieties of beans i'd like to have, but most of
them are climbers, so i don't have nearly enough
fence space to grow them all.

hope everyone is well and avoiding the flu?

songbird

Wavs... I'm doing Spring Semester, now, but the hubby is starting seeds
in a makeshift set of shelves with lighting.
--
Maggie
Old 30-01-2018, 09:25 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 01/29/2018 09:09 PM, Muggles wrote:

On 1/29/2018 8:26 PM, songbird wrote:
it has been a while and not much new to report
when it comes down to garden items.

at least until the weather warms up and spring
gets closer...

however, before then i have to test out a few
things yet, one of them, is a post to here to see
who's still around.

in the meantime i'm discovering a lot of new
varieties of beans i'd like to have, but most of
them are climbers, so i don't have nearly enough
fence space to grow them all.

hope everyone is well and avoiding the flu?

songbird

Wavs... I'm doing Spring Semester, now, but the hubby is starting seeds
in a makeshift set of shelves with lighting.

Doing okay. Nature has been watering the garden.

I got grass sprouts everywhere but haven't had
time to go vinegar them.

Cold and windy lately.
Old 30-01-2018, 02:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Mon, 29 Jan 2018 21:26:15 -0500, songbird
wrote:

in the meantime i'm discovering a lot of new
varieties of beans i'd like to have, but most of
them are climbers, so i don't have nearly enough
fence space to grow them all.

I'm building a new plant starting shelf rig and looking at my seed
collection to see what needs to be tested and/or grown out. Cooked
some "Good Mother Stallard" soup beans the other day; really good, and
SWMBO approved! (They're pole beans; very productive).

Have, so far, avoided the flu; we got vaccinated, but the current
strain seems different from the vaccine.

Cheers!

---
http://www.avg.com

Old 30-01-2018, 03:04 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 1/29/2018 9:26 PM, songbird wrote:
it has been a while and not much new to report
when it comes down to garden items.

at least until the weather warms up and spring
gets closer...

however, before then i have to test out a few
things yet, one of them, is a post to here to see
who's still around.

in the meantime i'm discovering a lot of new
varieties of beans i'd like to have, but most of
them are climbers, so i don't have nearly enough
fence space to grow them all.

hope everyone is well and avoiding the flu?

songbird

Just got a call that my mower is ready for pickup. I took it in last
week to get ready for next spring. It's snowing but I don't think I
will need to cut grass for a little while

Old 30-01-2018, 03:50 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

songbird wrote:

it has been a while and not much new to report
when it comes down to garden items.

at least until the weather warms up and spring
gets closer...

however, before then i have to test out a few
things yet, one of them, is a post to here to see
who's still around.

in the meantime i'm discovering a lot of new
varieties of beans i'd like to have, but most of
them are climbers, so i don't have nearly enough
fence space to grow them all.

hope everyone is well and avoiding the flu?

songbird

Looking through the seed catalogs and thinking about
when to pull the plant lights and seed starting stuff
down from the attic and get it set up.

My big problem that I'm pondering is what to do about
the deer this planting season. I'd never had more than
a nibble or two in previous years, so it wasn't much
of a problem. But last year, they wiped out my garden.

I had planted 10 tomato plants, and all were nibbled down
to nubs. Never got a tomato off of any of 'em. Same thing
for two rows of green beans. I managed to get six cukes
out of a row of burpless cucumbers before they chowed
down on the vines and wiped those out.

I don't have to tell you all how much frustration there
is to working the vegetable beds after starting seeds,
raising transplants, and doing all the other stuff only
to get pretty much nothing out of eight beds.

Any ideas on how to prevent a repeat this season? If I
can't come up with something affordable and practical,
I may have to go back to just a pot farm....only grow
stuff that can be done in pots on the deck, which
means no full size tomatoes, green beans, peas, and
the rest of the good stuff.

I've considered hoop frames with netting, but that's
a PITA to weed and harvest. Ditto individual netting
or chicken wire around each bed. Spraying eight beds
all spring and summer with a milk/water mixture isn't
too viable either over a long period.

Help!

Nyssa, who after two whole days of gloom and rain now
is getting snow showers instead

Old 30-01-2018, 06:32 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 1/30/2018 9:50 AM, Nyssa wrote:
songbird wrote:

[...]

Simplest thing would be to put stakes around garden and hang netting.
Deer can jump a 6 foot fence but they do not have to be that high. Deer
just nose around like world is their salad bar and bumping into netting
will deter them. They are not particularly interested in things like
tomato plants or beans but nip at anything green. Their fondness is for
things like nuts and apples and they will seek them out.

Deer and shade drove me to the deck but it was a lot of work. I got a
new deck last year and hauling big pots of dirt off old deck ,10 ft.
high, was not worth the work of putting them back.
Old 30-01-2018, 07:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 1/29/2018 8:26 PM, songbird wrote:
it has been a while and not much new to report
when it comes down to garden items.

at least until the weather warms up and spring
gets closer...

however, before then i have to test out a few
things yet, one of them, is a post to here to see
who's still around.

in the meantime i'm discovering a lot of new
varieties of beans i'd like to have, but most of
them are climbers, so i don't have nearly enough
fence space to grow them all.

hope everyone is well and avoiding the flu?

songbird

Â* I haven't started any seeds for this year yet , but I did recently
pot a bunch of starts of house plants (variegated ivy and some spider
plants)for sale later this spring . I'll need to build a shelf to hang
in the window for my seedlings , but won't need it for another month or
so .

--
Snag
Ain't no dollar sign on

Old 30-01-2018, 10:18 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Monday, January 29, 2018 at 9:26:31 PM UTC-5, songbird wrote:
it has been a while and not much new to report
when it comes down to garden items.

at least until the weather warms up and spring
gets closer...

however, before then i have to test out a few
things yet, one of them, is a post to here to see
who's still around.

in the meantime i'm discovering a lot of new
varieties of beans i'd like to have, but most of
them are climbers, so i don't have nearly enough
fence space to grow them all.

hope everyone is well and avoiding the flu?

songbird

The wife and I have bad colds this week but seem to be improving. I hurt my leg a bit by hopping off the backhoe too energetically; that's down to a minor limp at the moment but has impacted my activity for the last few weeks. Not that there was a lot to do anyway. I hope to be back to normal soon so that I can cut some firewood trees in February.

I did manage to bring in a few buckets from the compost pile to the greenhouse, where my wife has been repotting the citrus trees and starting some seed trays.

Paul
Old 31-01-2018, 12:58 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Nyssa wrote:
Help!

a fence is only thing reliable enough. 8ft
high. if you do the bottom part right you can
also cut down on rabbit and groundhog issues too.

never keep eveything out (birds, chipmunks,
squirrels, cats, raccoons, ...) but a good fence
does cut down on how much traffic you get and
that increases the odds in your favor.

raccoons pretty much ignore our fenced garden
because we do not grow sweet corn.

whatever we grow outside the fence is considered
possible deer, etc. food. some years they don't
bother things, other years they do a lot of
feeding.

some years go well, just have to be sure to
take into account that this is not a controlled
situation, between weather and animals. learning
to accept and be humble is a good exercise for
the character.

planting in different places, and decoy crops
can help. but then they may not too. last year
i tried to decoy chipmunks with sunflower seeds
they still got almost all of my edamame soybean
plants as soon as they sprouted. li'l buggers...

songbird

Old 31-01-2018, 06:31 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

it has been a while and not much new to report
when it comes down to garden items.

at least until the weather warms up and spring
gets closer...

however, before then i have to test out a few
things yet, one of them, is a post to here to see
who's still around.

in the meantime i'm discovering a lot of new
varieties of beans i'd like to have, but most of
them are climbers, so i don't have nearly enough
fence space to grow them all.

hope everyone is well and avoiding the flu?

songbird

Don't check this group very often at this time of year since there's
not much doing in the garden department around here.
Weather has been on a real roller coaster ride for a couple of months.
Minus 2ºF early this morning and up to a balmy 24ºF right now.
Had some errands to run in town yesterday but had to get the snow
blower out and clear the lane before we could leave.
Haven't had the flu for at least the last 40 years and have avoided it
again this year so far. Maybe that's because I've not had a flu shot
for at least the last 40 years as well.
Anyone heard from George Shirley? We used to email back and forth a
bit over the years but the last one I sent a while ago came back as
undeliverable.

Ross.
Southern Ontario, Canada
Old 01-02-2018, 01:39 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Frank wrote:
I miss his posts too. We're about the same age and I see these problems
popping up more often with folks our age. I hope he is OK and recovers
and comes back here.

i asked him if he needed help and pointed him to a
free service, but he said he wasn't going to mess
with it, so i doubt we'll see him again here unless
he gets really bored with things and needs to stir
up trouble or something.

songbird
Old 01-02-2018, 03:50 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

songbird wrote:

Frank wrote:
I miss his posts too. We're about the same age and I see
these problems
popping up more often with folks our age. I hope he is
OK and recovers and comes back here.

i asked him if he needed help and pointed him to a
free service, but he said he wasn't going to mess
with it, so i doubt we'll see him again here unless
he gets really bored with things and needs to stir
up trouble or something.

songbird

I hope he runs out of library books. Maybe that will
get him motivated to get one of his decendants to help
him get a news feed set up again.

I miss his wit and wisdom, and he might just miss sharing
his time with us here and in the preserving newsgroup...
I hope.

Nyssa, who knows that Usenet needs all the help it can
get with regular posters and even lurkers these days