Old 20-02-2018, 11:22 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default I got a surprise with my potted mini-rose

On 02/17/2018 02:17 PM, Muggles wrote:
On Valentine's day, my husband bought me a potted miniature rose. It
had white blossoms with a pink flush to the petals. I put it in my
bathroom under the skylight on the shelf, and it is doing fine.

This morning, two days later, I got into the bathroom and found a
hitchhiker slithering on the carpet floor between the sink and tub area.
It was a common grey garden snake that was about 7 inches in length!
At first, I thought it was an earthworm that had come out of the dirt,
but then it moved and raised it head up looking at me looking at it!

EGADS! It's not an earthworm! How do I catch the thing? LOL Well, I
finally caught it after it tried to get away a few times, and I put it
in a jar to get a better look at it. Yep ... its a baby grey garden snake.

I ended up taking it to my daughters house because she home schools and
the oldest granddaughter wanted to document all the details for her own
curiosity sake. She was more excited about documenting it than I was
when I found it crawling on my bathroom floor.

Part of me wonders if it really found its way out of that mini-rose pot,
or if it got in some other way!?

Hi Maggie,

Your poor husband!!!!

You can soak this for years. "You bought me a snake for
Valentine's day! I am not even an ex-wife!" Poor guy
won't know what hit him. When he starts to stutter
"but, but, but ...", give him a hug and tell him you
will eventually forget, in about 20 years so and next
year's better not be a cactus.

Tell your husband I said "Oh Dude!"

-T
Old 20-02-2018, 11:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default LED grow lights for plant starting

On 02/19/2018 02:44 PM, songbird wrote:
Frank wrote:
Looking at internet I think it best to buy LED lights designed for
growing plants as their output is in the most useful part of the spectra
for plants. You would not like them in the house for normal use as they
would be a different color.

yes, and perhaps look into UV protection too that
would be needed. you don't want to mess up your eyes
or have skin troubles...

songbird

Hi Songbird,

Usually, pl;ants use red and blue for photosynthesis,
but not always. here is a fun article on ti:

What colors of light are used in land plant photosynthesis?
http://scienceline.ucsb.edu/getkey.php?key=2550

The color of light used for photosynthesis depends
on the pigment in the plant.For example, green plants'
with chlorophylls and carotenoids have a maximum
activity with violet-blue and red light. Basically,
whatever color the plant is, that is the color of
light that it is reflecting instead of absorbing
and using for photosynthesis. If you click on the
different links I have included, it will take you
to different wikipedia pages that provide additional
information.

So, basically, the color you see on the leaves is the
color it is NOT using.

:-)

-T
Old 20-02-2018, 11:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Frank wrote:
Looking at internet I think it best to buy LED lights designed for
growing plants as their output is in the most useful part of the spectra
for plants.Â* You would not like them in the house for normal use as they
would be a different color.

Â*Â* yes, and perhaps look into UV protection too that
would be needed.Â* you don't want to mess up your eyes
or have skin troubles...

Â*Â* songbird

Hi Songbird,

Usually, pl;ants use red and blue for photosynthesis,
but not always.Â* here is a fun article on ti:

What colors of light are used in land plant photosynthesis?
http://scienceline.ucsb.edu/getkey.php?key=2550

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* The color of light used for photosynthesis depends
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* on the pigment in the plant.For example, green plants'
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* with chlorophylls and carotenoids have a maximum
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* activity with violet-blue and red light. Basically,
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* whatever color the plant is, that is the color of
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* light that it is reflecting instead of absorbing
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* and using for photosynthesis. If you click on the
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* different links I have included, it will take you
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* to different wikipedia pages that provide additional
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* information.

So, basically, the color you see on the leaves is the
color it is NOT using.

:-)

-T

Oh ya, plant light tend to leave off the green
Old 21-02-2018, 06:08 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 2/18/2018 10:36 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
On 2/18/2018 10:16 PM, Muggles wrote:
On 2/18/2018 8:40 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
On 2/18/2018 3:43 PM, Frank wrote:
On 2/18/2018 4:23 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
On 2/18/2018 11:00 AM, songbird wrote:
Muggles wrote:
It is a terra cotta colored plastic pot with holes in the bottom,
and
that plastic pot is sitting inside a metal decorative container
that has
no holes.

Geez ... I've purchased similar flowers dozens of times and never
ended
up with a baby snake.Â* Now, I'll have to check every one I want
to buy
for snakes!
Â*Â*Â* to me that would be a bonus.Â* i like snakes.Â*

Â*Â*Â* songbird
Â*Â*Â* Depends on what kind and where . Copperheads in the rose garden
get dead .

No problem with poisonous snakes here but my wife is deathly afraid of
them.
Â*Â* We're not particularly afraid of them , just think there are some
places they don't belong . It was pure chance that I didn't get bit
while cleaning up some leaves and clutter while building the deck .
He/it struck the piece of glass in my hand ... big'un too , over 30" .
That makes 3 in the last 5 years , another was in the wood pile , and
one in some firewood out in the orchard that I was moving to the
woodlot .

So, how do you go about checking leaves and woodpiles for snakes? Do you
have a 10foot pole?

Â* No , you just look carefully before you go sticking your hands in
there . Problem is that copperheads are damn near invisible when lying
still in a pile of leaves . I like to disturb leaves with a rake or
something before putting my hands near . On the occasion I almost got
bit I was picking up broken glass up next to the house , there were some
leaves blown up against the foundation . I saw the snake about the time
he hit the glass . The reason he was there is food . The bird seed
feeders are close by , and ground squirrels and other small critters
like to glean the seed the birds knock out on to the ground .

I think I would move the bird seed feeders away from the house. lol

--
Maggie
Old 21-02-2018, 06:10 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 2/20/2018 4:22 PM, T wrote:
On 02/17/2018 02:17 PM, Muggles wrote:
On Valentine's day, my husband bought me a potted miniature rose.Â* It
had white blossoms with a pink flush to the petals.Â* I put it in my
bathroom under the skylight on the shelf, and it is doing fine.

This morning, two days later, I got into the bathroom and found a
hitchhiker slithering on the carpet floor between the sink and tub area.
Â* It was a common grey garden snake that was about 7 inches in length!
At first, I thought it was an earthworm that had come out of the dirt,
but then it moved and raised it head up looking at me looking at it!

EGADS! It's not an earthworm!Â* How do I catch the thing? LOLÂ* Well, I
finally caught it after it tried to get away a few times, and I put it
in a jar to get a better look at it.Â* Yep ... its a baby grey garden
snake.

I ended up taking it to my daughters house because she home schools and
the oldest granddaughter wanted to document all the details for her own
curiosity sake.Â* She was more excited about documenting it than I was
when I found it crawling on my bathroom floor.

Part of me wonders if it really found its way out of that mini-rose pot,
or if it got in some other way!?

Hi Maggie,

Your poor husband!!!!

You can soak this for years.Â* "You bought me a snake for
Valentine's day!Â* I am not even an ex-wife!"Â* Poor guy
won't know what hit him.Â* When he starts to stutter
"but, but, but ...", give him a hug and tell him you
will eventually forget, in about 20 years so and next
year's better not be a cactus.

Tell your husband I said "Oh Dude!"

-T

Well, I actually picked out the potted mini-rose plant. We were
shopping and I always drewl over the flowers. I showed the video of
the snake to the store and they wanted me to send them a copy of it! lol

--
Maggie