Old 01-03-2018, 05:05 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Re-powering a tiller

Oh dear me dear me , the free tiller won't start ... again this year .
Always been difficult and I'm tired of throwing money - and more
importantly , time - at a Briggs that's at least 20 years old and
finicky . So I get on eBay , and there's a guy selling 6 hp Honda "OHC"
motors for around a hundred bucks . Most likely it's an OHV motor , but
still it's probably twice what that B&S put out when new . The reviews I
saw all said "like brand new" , these are supposed to be from power
washers that had bad pumps and all have just a few hours so I bought one
.. We'll see on Monday , it's supposed to be coming on the FedEx truck .
The rest of this unit is in pretty good shape , the gearbox at the
bottom end runs cool and turns smooth , the only real wear item is the
drive belt - it uses a v-belt for drive from the motor to the shaft down
to the foot . Gotta get 'er fixed , the season is fast approaching when
I'll need it . Just got back the results of soil tests , and got some
amendments to make to the soil .

--
Snag
Ain't no dollar sign on

Old 02-03-2018, 12:29 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Terry Coombs wrote:

[...]

good luck, i hope it all meshes well.

songbird
Old 02-03-2018, 12:55 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 3/1/2018 5:29 PM, songbird wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:

[...]

Â* Me too ! Tracking says to expect delivery tomorrow , by Saturday
afternoon I'll know . The original was 3.5 Hp , this one's 6 so I doubt
I'll be stalling it .

--
Snag
Ain't no dollar sign on

Old 03-03-2018, 03:39 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 2/28/2018 10:05 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
[...]

Motor came today , we be tillin' . This is a fixed-speed motor , which I
can change easily . And it's like brand new . Bolted it on , added oil
and gas , started on the 3rd pull . I need to see if I can find that
other pair of tines (got 2 each side now , as stock) , I'm betting this
motor will pull the load . More power , ar ar ar .

--
Snag
Ain't no dollar sign on

Old 04-03-2018, 03:07 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 3/4/2018 2:23 AM, Bloke Down The Pub wrote:
"Terry Coombs" wrote in message
news
On 3/2/2018 9:22 PM, wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:

So I get on eBay , and there's a guy selling 6 hp Honda "OHC"
motors for around a hundred bucks . Most likely it's an OHV motor , but
still it's probably twice what that B&S put out when new .
It's for sure a OHV engine but Honda does offer residential and
commercial SOHC engines intended for pressure washers and the like so
the seller's description may be correct.

It turns out he is in fact correct . I had no idea the technology had
trickled down to lawn mowers . Actually this motor came from a pressure
washer that had a bad pressure pump . Looks like new , except that you can
tell some stickers have been peeled off . Bet a quarter I've got the only
single overhead cam tiller in The Holler ...

It is always good to be proven wrong on a positive note. All you need to do
now is organise a tractor pull but limit the entry to tillers.

Mike

Â* Would the tiller attachment my neighbor has for his tractor qualify ?
Of course the tractor is a diesel and 4WD ... I don't think my Rusty the
Tractor would do well in a pull , it spins out justÂ* moving dirt - well
, actually the clay/gravel/silt mixture I dug out of the hole for the
cellar . And the tiller , well it's one of the old fashioned front tine
units , not even powered wheels . This unit was given to me several
years ago , guy wasn't even sure it ran . I've been fiddling and
fighting with it ever since to keep it running enough to dig up my
little (1,000 sf) garden every spring . Well , now it runs well I may
just break ground for some more stuff .

--
Snag
Ain't no dollar sign on

Old 05-03-2018, 08:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sun, 4 Mar 2018 08:07:47 -0600, Terry Coombs
wrote:

Well , now it runs well I may
just break ground for some more stuff .

Gardens are like boats: Never big enough!

---
http://www.avg.com

Re-powering the tiller Terry Coombs Gardening 7 03-03-2018 05:10 PM
Mantis tiller Bruce Yates Edible Gardening 31 24-05-2003 04:56 PM
tiller Keith Carroll Lawns 6 05-05-2003 11:58 PM
power tiller: to get or not to get one pgh Gardening 17 28-02-2003 04:15 AM
tiller Keith Carroll Lawns 0 13-02-2003 01:00 AM