Old 11-03-2018, 08:37 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Good time to seed radishes?

I'm in central Illinois and was wondering if now would be a good time to
spread some radish seeds in the garden?
It seems early but over the last couple of years I've tried them more
toward late April and by the time the seeds germinate and the radishes
grow it gets hot then they bolt and/or get woody.

So what do you guys think about me spreading some radish seeds in the
garden right now?
Old 11-03-2018, 11:44 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wg_2002 wrote:

I'm in central Illinois and was wondering if now would be a good time to
spread some radish seeds in the garden?
It seems early but over the last couple of years I've tried them more
toward late April and by the time the seeds germinate and the radishes
grow it gets hot then they bolt and/or get woody.

So what do you guys think about me spreading some radish seeds in the
garden right now?

what is your forecast like for night time lows?
i'm pretty sure it is below freezing here at night
for the next week (and probably longer with chances
of frost) last night it was 19F.

http://www.gardening.cornell.edu/hom...scene341b.html

looks like germination is over 50F, not sure about
frost tolerance since i usually don't grow them until
later (i only like a few sprouts and that's about it).

3-6 weeks before average last frost date sounds like
they have some tolerance for cold/frosts. read link...
gives plenty of good info.

songbird

Good time for grass seed David WE Roberts[_4_] United Kingdom 5 05-11-2011 02:00 PM
What I've learnt about Radishes Steve Harris United Kingdom 3 27-04-2003 09:56 PM
Radishes Morgan Australia 3 05-04-2003 06:33 AM
Radishes - my Waterloo Polar Edible Gardening 7 25-03-2003 11:20 PM