GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Long Term Gardening (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/215353-long-term-gardening.html)

Pavel314[_2_] 26-04-2018 08:19 PM

Long Term Gardening

Last fall, we gathered several pails of black walnuts at a friend's farm. She has several large trees, which produce more nuts than she can use. I planted 32 in the back row of the garden and eight in seed trays but nothing has sprouted. I would have expected at least a few of the 40 planted to produce trees, as that's what nuts are for, at least from the point of view of the trees.

Paul

[email protected] 27-04-2018 12:35 PM

Long Term Gardening

On Thursday, April 26, 2018 at 3:19:20 PM UTC-4, Pavel314 wrote:
Last fall, we gathered several pails of black walnuts at a friend's farm. She has several large trees, which produce more nuts than she can use. I planted 32 in the back row of the garden and eight in seed trays but nothing has sprouted. I would have expected at least a few of the 40 planted to produce trees, as that's what nuts are for, at least from the point of view of the trees.

Paul

Could be that squirrels got them.

Frank 27-04-2018 01:58 PM

Long Term Gardening

On 4/27/2018 7:35 AM, wrote:
On Thursday, April 26, 2018 at 3:19:20 PM UTC-4, Pavel314 wrote:
Last fall, we gathered several pails of black walnuts at a friend's farm. She has several large trees, which produce more nuts than she can use. I planted 32 in the back row of the garden and eight in seed trays but nothing has sprouted. I would have expected at least a few of the 40 planted to produce trees, as that's what nuts are for, at least from the point of view of the trees.

Paul

Could be that squirrels got them.

Maybe not planted correctly as I see husks should be removed first:

http://www.extension.umn.edu/garden/...-black-walnut/

Takes decades to get mature producing trees, I see also.

I'm now contending with many type trees I planted over 40 years ago.

My Chinese chestnuts are mature and I get far more than I need. There
is a weevil problem I cannot eradicate and local market would not buy
them. I'll have friends over to pickup what they want. OP lucky to
have one that gives him nuts.

My experiment in trying to grow English walnuts failed. Squirrels would
eat the nuts green off the trees and we got essentially none. Then wind
took its toll and blew them down. I had last one removed last month.

songbird[_2_] 27-04-2018 02:01 PM

Long Term Gardening

wrote:
On Thursday, April 26, 2018 at 3:19:20 PM UTC-4, Pavel314 wrote:
Last fall, we gathered several pails of black walnuts at a friend's farm. She has several large trees, which produce more nuts than she can use. I planted 32 in the back row of the garden and eight in seed trays but nothing has sprouted. I would have expected at least a few of the 40 planted to produce trees, as that's what nuts are for, at least from the point of view of the trees.

Could be that squirrels got them.

or the squirrels got the good ones before the rest
were picked up.

songbird

Pavel314[_2_] 28-04-2018 03:00 AM

Long Term Gardening

On Friday, April 27, 2018 at 8:58:51 AM UTC-4, Frank wrote:
On 4/27/2018 7:35 AM, wrote:
[...]

Not sure about removing the husks. These trees are native to the area and grow in the wild, where nobody removes their husks. Maybe the squirrels remove them?

Frank 02-05-2018 08:44 PM

Long Term Gardening

On 4/27/2018 7:35 AM, wrote:
[...]

Husks flake off easily sometime after they have fallen and then
squirrels often bury nuts. That's why I was surprised that squirrels
were going after my green on the tree English walnuts.

I saw a squirrel eating a black walnut once and it must have taken a
half hour. Good thing their teeth keep growing as it took a lot of
gnawing. Squirrels probably go after the easy nuts first, like acorns,
then as food gets scarce go for things like black walnuts and Osage
Orange. Same with deer getting my ivy in the winter. Ivy is easy to
get but probably not as tasty as my chestnuts.

Drew Lawson[_2_] 06-05-2018 03:01 AM

Long Term Gardening

In article
Pavel314 writes:
Last fall, we gathered several pails of black walnuts at a friend's
farm. She has several large trees, which produce more nuts than
she can use. I planted 32 in the back row of the garden and eight
in seed trays but nothing has sprouted. I would have expected at
least a few of the 40 planted to produce trees, as that's what
nuts are for, at least from the point of view of the trees.

Be aware that Black Walnut interferes with lots of common garden
plants. The roots (and other parts) emit a substance called juglone
that reduces respiration.

If you want to garden near them, do some research as to which plants
are affected.

My vegetable garden is about 8 feet from a 2.5 foot wide walnut
stump (felled 4-6 years back). That side is still questionable for
tomatoes. It may remain so for another 20 years.

--
Drew Lawson | Savage bed foot-warmer

Pavel314[_2_] 07-05-2018 02:54 AM

Long Term Gardening

On Saturday, May 5, 2018 at 10:02:01 PM UTC-4, Drew Lawson wrote:
In article
Pavel314 writes:
Last fall, we gathered several pails of black walnuts at a friend's
farm. She has several large trees, which produce more nuts than
she can use. I planted 32 in the back row of the garden and eight
in seed trays but nothing has sprouted. I would have expected at
least a few of the 40 planted to produce trees, as that's what
nuts are for, at least from the point of view of the trees.

Be aware that Black Walnut interferes with lots of common garden
plants. The roots (and other parts) emit a substance called juglone
that reduces respiration.

If you want to garden near them, do some research as to which plants
are affected.

My vegetable garden is about 8 feet from a 2.5 foot wide walnut
stump (felled 4-6 years back). That side is still questionable for
tomatoes. It may remain so for another 20 years.

--
Drew Lawson | Savage bed foot-warmer
| of purest feline ancestry
| Look out little furry folk
| it's the all-night working cat

Thanks for the warning. I plan to transplant any that sprout to locations far from the garden.

Paul

[email protected] 08-05-2018 02:51 AM

Long Term Gardening

Pavel314 writes:
Last fall, we gathered several pails of black walnuts at a friend's
farm. She has several large trees, which produce more nuts than
she can use. I planted 32 in the back row of the garden and eight
in seed trays but nothing has sprouted. I would have expected at
least a few of the 40 planted to produce trees, as that's what
nuts are for, at least from the point of view of the trees.

Be aware that Black Walnut interferes with lots of common garden
plants. The roots (and other parts) emit a substance called juglone
that reduces respiration.

If you want to garden near them, do some research as to which plants
are affected.

My vegetable garden is about 8 feet from a 2.5 foot wide walnut
stump (felled 4-6 years back). That side is still questionable for
tomatoes. It may remain so for another 20 years.

--
Drew Lawson | Savage bed foot-warmer
| of purest feline ancestry
| Look out little furry folk
| it's the all-night working cat

Thanks for the warning. I plan to transplant any that sprout to locations far from the garden.

Paul

Transplant as soon as they sprout. They develop a long taproot very quickly.