Old 13-05-2018, 03:15 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default gradually getting there...

On Saturday, May 12, 2018 at 8:23:40 AM UTC-4, Terry Coombs wrote:
On 5/12/2018 6:26 AM, songbird wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:
...re straw mulch...
Â* I've already tilled a couple of layers into the soil , it's made a
world of difference in moisture retention . Coupled with rows that cut
across the slope of the land it lets most of the rain soak in rather
than running off .

yes that's all going to help.

in some gardens, over many years, people will take
the soil that washes down and move it back to the
top as a regular part of their garden routine.

i terrace the areas i can, luckily i don't have that
much of a slope anywhere, but one location where the
front septic drainfield is at is raised up and that
then slopes towards the back (downwards through what i
call the North Garden). i don't have it formally
terraced because i keep playing around in there with
varous plantings.

always plenty to do for sure.

songbird

Â* I've also been working on terracing the garden . The lower third is
pretty much level , as is the top section . The middle is still sloped
some , I can only do so much without getting into the subsoil , but that
area is also deeply furrowed .

--
Snag
Ain't no dollar sign on

My wife's vegetable garden is on a sloped part of the yard. She constructed what she calls "barrows", raised ridges of dirt and compost, perpendicular to the fall line. These catch and slow the water as it flows downhill during a rain.

There's a central path going right down the fall line but she constructed "hydraulics" on that, raised sections between the rows to divert any flowing water off the main path into the paths between the barrows, where it will be slowed down and absorbed into the ground.

All of the paths are covered with landscape fabric to keep down the weeds.

Paul
Old 13-05-2018, 04:23 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Pavel314 wrote:
My wife's vegetable garden is on a sloped part of the yard. She constructed what she calls "barrows", raised ridges of dirt and compost, perpendicular to the fall line. These catch and slow the water as it flows downhill during a rain.

There's a central path going right down the fall line but she constructed "hydraulics" on that, raised sections between the rows to divert any flowing water off the main path into the paths between the barrows, where it will be slowed down and absorbed into the ground.

in the permaculture verbiage they call them swales.

with our soils and some storms being heavy i have been
designing our place to capture as much as possible but also
to deal with the flash floods.

all of this needed in our heavy clay soil, once it gets
soaked down well it doesn't hold more. that's at about 4-6
inches of rain depending upon how fast it comes down.

the following contains way more information than most
people want to read:

http://www.anthive.com/project/water/

All of the paths are covered with landscape fabric to keep down the weeds.

it helps. we've used old chunks of carpeting in some
places and then put rinsed crushed limestone over it and
not much gets through that. luckily most of those types
of pathways are inside the fenced area or in front where
there aren't too many issues from neighboring areas trying
to send roots under the paths.

out back i have some more serious weeds that aren't
stopped by a shallow edge and some will run a dozen
feet horizontal under a pathway if given the chance.

songbird
Old 13-05-2018, 04:25 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Terry Coombs wrote:
Â* I've also been working on terracing the garden . The lower third is
pretty much level , as is the top section . The middle is still sloped
some , I can only do so much without getting into the subsoil , but that
area is also deeply furrowed .

it's nice when you finally get a garden into
shape.

songbird