Old 20-05-2018, 10:40 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Ping songbird

Â* Just a heads-up , the Mattie Beane bush beans I planted had a
less-than-stellar germination rate . Looks like around 50-60% , so be
prepared for bare spots - I have no idea how old the seed is . Got my
re-wire trellis up for the white greasy's today , just in time too
because they've started to run . Spent most of the day building a new
chicken run ... we ran across someone who is selling some chicken of the
breed my wife wants , so we're getting back in the chicken owner's club .

--
Snag
Ain't no dollar sign on

Old 21-05-2018, 01:53 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Terry Coombs wrote:

Â* Just a heads-up , the Mattie Beane bush beans I planted had a
less-than-stellar germination rate . Looks like around 50-60% , so be
prepared for bare spots - I have no idea how old the seed is .

i'm just hoping for any at all to see how they do. i'm
glad to hear you got some going so perhaps between the two
of us we'll have enough seeds for next season again...

Got my
re-wire trellis up for the white greasy's today , just in time too
because they've started to run .

they'll go up quick too!

i haven't planted a thing yet. one project keeps bringing
on others (as usual) and i'm going to have to put my foot
down and say "hold on here." for a while so we can get plants
next week and start getting things in the ground. if i have
everything planted by the first week of June that's usually
good.

Spent most of the day building a new
chicken run ... we ran across someone who is selling some chicken of the
breed my wife wants , so we're getting back in the chicken owner's club .

i got the largest wall of the shed mostly done with tile
(other than cuts along the bottom and one edge). hope to
finish the other walls tomorrow, we'll see... i'm trying
to keep the rainy day projects so i can do other things
outside, but as of yet, the rains have been enough to keep
the ground too wet for some of the deeper digging i need
to do.

at least i got most of the spring whitlow-grass weeded
and found out the other day that the seed pods i thought
had a single seed in them really had 20-50 very tiny seeds
in them instead. which explains how it spreads so easily.
i kinda like it. a very tiny and harmless plant... early
spring insects find it very useful when not much else is
blooming yet. i'll bet the bucket of weeds i took out of
the one garden (of 15x15ft) had several million seeds in
there...

that's pretty much all i've gotten done the past few
weeks besides some very simple other weeding (a few minutes)
and some digging in of ashes (i still have buckets to use
up).

looks like a mixed bag again this week for weather, but
i hope i can get the fencing and poles picked up the next
few days so i have that on hand for when i get other things
done and have enough time to do it.

songbird
Old 21-05-2018, 02:09 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Terry Coombs wrote:

... Got my
re-wire trellis up for the white greasy's today , just in time too
because they've started to run .

forgot to ask how the germination rate for the
greasy beans?

i tried to send fairly recent seeds, but i wasn't completely
sure how long ago those were grown. within the past four years
for sure and some were grown last year so i knew at least some
would sprout.

songbird
Old 21-05-2018, 02:59 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 5/20/2018 7:09 PM, songbird wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:

... Got my
re-wire trellis up for the white greasy's today , just in time too
because they've started to run .

forgot to ask how the germination rate for the
greasy beans?

i tried to send fairly recent seeds, but i wasn't completely
sure how long ago those were grown. within the past four years
for sure and some were grown last year so i knew at least some
would sprout.

songbird

Â* I got around 80% or better . Some didn't come up so I replanted ,
some of those didn't either , so it may not be just the seeds . For sure
I'll get enough to eat some and save seed . I got the chicken pen pretty
much completed , just the area where I'm putting the door left to do .

--
Snag
Ain't no dollar sign on

Old 21-05-2018, 02:06 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Terry Coombs wrote:
.... greasy germination rate...
Â* I got around 80% or better . Some didn't come up so I replanted ,
some of those didn't either , so it may not be just the seeds . For sure
I'll get enough to eat some and save seed .

i have plenty more. with my recent gains in pole
beans in my collection i'm skipping growing any greasy
beans this year so i can get the new ones grown out.

i have one bean where the guy only had one left so
i'm a bit nervous about growing it, i have some wire
mesh to put around it to make sure the chipmunks
leave it alone.

I got the chicken pen pretty
much completed , just the area where I'm putting the door left to do .

it's nice to get done with something. i hope
it goes well.

was happy last night to have the largest wall done,
but my hands and arm were sore from trowelling glue.
i'm not sure i can get the other three walls mostly
done today, but i'll try. the real fun will be
doing all the cuts. i don't have a simple snap tile
cutter so i'll have to spend more time with a wet tub
tile saw and a diamond blade. going to take a lot
more time. tempted to try to score with a glass
cutter and snap them myself, might be able to get
that to work instead.

songbird

Old 21-05-2018, 02:44 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 5/21/2018 7:06 AM, songbird wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:
... greasy germination rate...
[...]

Â* They make a hand held version that uses a cutter wheel and snapping
thingy . Under 20 bucks when I bought mine , but that was last century
.... If you're careful with getting a good score you can snap them over a
3/16" dowel laid across a piece of carpet padding . Lay a strip of wood
over narrow cuts to spread the force out over the length . If I had a
nickel for every piece of tile I installed I'd have one gigantic pile of
nickels ... I have one of those wet tub saws , and would rather use it
for nicer cuts - my big tile cutter also dates from last century .

--
Snag
Ain't no dollar sign on

Old 21-05-2018, 05:21 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
songbird wrote:

i don't have a simple snap tile
cutter so i'll have to spend more time with a wet tub
tile saw and a diamond blade. going to take a lot
more time. tempted to try to score with a glass
cutter and snap them myself, might be able to get
that to work instead.

I have a set of carbide tile nippers. Useless waste of money, and score
and snap has never worked all that well for me either (indeed, i think I
bought the nippers to fix where the break went despite the line.)

I work **faster** and waste a lot less tile with a dry diamond blade
(I'd use a wet one, it would be less messy, but at the time I needed one
the dry blade was a heck of a lot cheaper than a wet saw, and works in a
tool I already own, albeit it makes a mess and requires a bunch of dust
gear.) Wet saws are cheaper now, but the dry blade I already own is less
money than a cheap new wet one.

Old 21-05-2018, 10:40 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Terry Coombs wrote:
songbird wrote:

....re cutting wall tiles...

Â* They make a hand held version that uses a cutter wheel and snapping
thingy . Under 20 bucks when I bought mine , but that was last century
... If you're careful with getting a good score you can snap them over a
3/16" dowel laid across a piece of carpet padding . Lay a strip of wood
over narrow cuts to spread the force out over the length . If I had a
nickel for every piece of tile I installed I'd have one gigantic pile of
nickels ... I have one of those wet tub saws , and would rather use it
for nicer cuts - my big tile cutter also dates from last century .

my entire family was in commercial flooring,
wall tile, etc.

as a teen i hauled many many tons of materials
and cleaned up jobs and did whatever else needed
to be done.

when i could i got out of there after high school
to college. i knew that i didn't want to work in
the family business my whole life.

after the past few days i'm clearly reminded of
why... various previous injuries really do not
like what i'm doing now.

today it took me way too long but i've got another
wall up and cut the all the pieces i need to glue
around the edges once i get back to it. likely
tomorrow.

i'd much rather be in the gardens, and soon will
get back to them.

songbird
Old 21-05-2018, 11:02 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Ecnerwal wrote:
I work **faster** and waste a lot less tile with a dry diamond blade
(I'd use a wet one, it would be less messy, but at the time I needed one
the dry blade was a heck of a lot cheaper than a wet saw, and works in a
tool I already own, albeit it makes a mess and requires a bunch of dust
gear.) Wet saws are cheaper now, but the dry blade I already own is less
money than a cheap new wet one.

i'll be very glad when i'm done, not that it has been
particularly difficult, but because my back isn't happy
with this kind of crouching/bending/etc. gardening is
so much better for it.

raining again, i'm done with everything for the day.
i could go back out there and glue some pieces on the
walls that i cut but i don't want to clean up the
trowel yet another time.

songbird
Old 22-05-2018, 12:22 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 5/21/2018 3:40 PM, songbird wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:
songbird wrote:

...re cutting wall tiles...

[...]

Â* I reckon I'll spend some time in mine tomorrow . Got the hens - she
said "there might be a rooster , I've heard crowing" - and 3 , yes THREE
of the eight were roosters . And she damn well knew it , they've got too
many chickens to not know . Anyway , got them installed in their new
digs and they seem happy enough .

--
Snag
Ain't no dollar sign on

Old 30-05-2018, 06:34 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

songbird wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:

Â* Just a heads-up , the Mattie Beane bush beans I planted had a
less-than-stellar germination rate . Looks like around 50-60% , so be
prepared for bare spots - I have no idea how old the seed is .

i'm just hoping for any at all to see how they do. i'm
glad to hear you got some going so perhaps between the two
of us we'll have enough seeds for next season again...

i just put in some of them today. looking pretty closely
i'd say those beans were spoiled, got wet or the harvesting
conditions were poor/wet or something because not many of
them looked viable. some were pre-sprouted and then dried,
so those won't go, some had fungus on them. i'll be surprised
if many grow. we'll see. if they don't i always have plenty
of other beans to go in that spot.

finally got some of the beans planted today, the pole beans
and the bush lima beans since they have the longest season it
helps to get them going first. would have liked to have had
them planted last week, but too busy with other things...

possible rain today/tonight/tomorrow. things are coming
along ok.

first strawberries picked today.

songbird