Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old 25-05-2018, 07:04 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,681
Default may get some plants in soon

perhaps that is why they call it May?


songbird

  #2   Report Post  
Old 25-05-2018, 01:40 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Sep 2012
Posts: 626
Default may get some plants in soon

On 5/25/2018 12:04 AM, songbird wrote:
perhaps that is why they call it May?


songbird


Well you better hurry up , or you May find it's already June ... I have
'maters that are almost 3 feet tall now , the lettuce patch has kicked
into high gear , and a couple of days ago I planted some anaheim pepper
seedlings I got from the co-op . They are also doing well - I've never
been able to grow these from seed , whether planted out or started in
trays . And the bees are blowin' up , I'll be checking them today to see
if they need more storage space . Also be looking for queen cells from
the last splits , with an eye to starting a couple more colonies . Those
will probably need to be fed , since the spring nectar flow is going to
be coming to an end soon .

--
Snag
Ain't no dollar sign on
peace of mind - Zac Brown

  #3   Report Post  
Old 25-05-2018, 03:17 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Feb 2016
Posts: 16
Default may get some plants in soon

Terry Coombs wrote:

On 5/25/2018 12:04 AM, songbird wrote:
perhaps that is why they call it May?


songbird


Well you better hurry up , or you May find it's already
June ... I have 'maters that are almost 3 feet tall now ,
the lettuce patch has kicked into high gear , and a couple
of days ago I planted some anaheim pepper seedlings I got
from the co-op . They are also doing well - I've never
been able to grow these from seed , whether planted out or
started in trays . And the bees are blowin' up , I'll be
checking them today to see if they need more storage space
. Also be looking for queen cells from the last splits ,
with an eye to starting a couple more colonies . Those
will probably need to be fed , since the spring nectar
flow is going to be coming to an end soon .

Bzz, bzz, bzz!

I've only gotten one bed planted so far (out of 8) with
four tomato plants which have been caged and heavily
wrapped in netting to keep the deer out. But Bambi is
determined and managed to find enough of a gap in two
of 'em after high winds to chomp down the middle of
two of the plants. (Both are Italian varieties making
me wonder if it's an Italian deer I've re-wrapped the
plants and so far, so good. I've also got several marigolds
planted in the bed around and between the tomatoes hoping
that will further discourage the buggers.

We also had a week of heavy rain last week which pushed
back any garden or yard work, so I've been catching up on
the mowing.

A visit to a Big Box store with hopes of finding a few
bargain plants was a wasted effort. sigh

I did have some herb seedlings I'd started under my plant
light, so those have gone outside in pots. I'm planning on
filling two large pots with my special soil mix for carrots.
I can't plant carrots or other root crops in the main beds
because of voles nibbling anything available.

I'm hoping to plant some green beans and come up with a
netting plan to save them from being deer food, but another
round of rain and storms are due in on Sunday and go into
next week.

With all the rain we've been getting, I'm considering changing
my hobby from vegetable gardening to boating.

Nyssa, who thinks she's growing webbing between her toes
because of all the rain we've had this spring

  #4   Report Post  
Old 25-05-2018, 05:05 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Sep 2012
Posts: 626
Default may get some plants in soon

On 5/25/2018 8:17 AM, Nyssa wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:

On 5/25/2018 12:04 AM, songbird wrote:
perhaps that is why they call it May?


songbird

Well you better hurry up , or you May find it's already
June ... I have 'maters that are almost 3 feet tall now ,
the lettuce patch has kicked into high gear , and a couple
of days ago I planted some anaheim pepper seedlings I got
from the co-op . They are also doing well - I've never
been able to grow these from seed , whether planted out or
started in trays . And the bees are blowin' up , I'll be
checking them today to see if they need more storage space
. Also be looking for queen cells from the last splits ,
with an eye to starting a couple more colonies . Those
will probably need to be fed , since the spring nectar
flow is going to be coming to an end soon .

Bzz, bzz, bzz!

I've only gotten one bed planted so far (out of 8) with
four tomato plants which have been caged and heavily
wrapped in netting to keep the deer out. But Bambi is
determined and managed to find enough of a gap in two
of 'em after high winds to chomp down the middle of
two of the plants. (Both are Italian varieties making
me wonder if it's an Italian deer I've re-wrapped the
plants and so far, so good. I've also got several marigolds
planted in the bed around and between the tomatoes hoping
that will further discourage the buggers.

We also had a week of heavy rain last week which pushed
back any garden or yard work, so I've been catching up on
the mowing.

A visit to a Big Box store with hopes of finding a few
bargain plants was a wasted effort. sigh

I did have some herb seedlings I'd started under my plant
light, so those have gone outside in pots. I'm planning on
filling two large pots with my special soil mix for carrots.
I can't plant carrots or other root crops in the main beds
because of voles nibbling anything available.

I'm hoping to plant some green beans and come up with a
netting plan to save them from being deer food, but another
round of rain and storms are due in on Sunday and go into
next week.

With all the rain we've been getting, I'm considering changing
my hobby from vegetable gardening to boating.

Nyssa, who thinks she's growing webbing between her toes
because of all the rain we've had this spring

¬* My solution is to use a fence made up of 24" chicken wire at the
bottom , with 6" turned flat to the ground on the outside , with 3
strands of electrified wire above . The one time I caught a rabbit in
the garden it was because I left the "gate" open . No sign of deer
inside at all - nor bears ... The bee yard is annexed to the garden now
and shares the fencing system . I had a hive damaged by a bear last
spring , since it's been inside an electric fence we've had no further
problems . I was kinda mean , when I first installed electric fence
around the (former) bee yard I baited it with bacon ... and I can tell
you from personal (accidental) contact with that fence , it HURTS . I
think it must work for 'coonsand 'possumstoo , there's no way to get
over the chicken wire without contacting a hot wire .

--
Snag
Ain't no dollar sign on
peace of mind - Zac Brown

  #5   Report Post  
Old 26-05-2018, 04:31 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jan 2015
Posts: 730
Default may get some plants in soon

On 05/25/2018 08:05 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
On 5/25/2018 8:17 AM, Nyssa wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:

On 5/25/2018 12:04 AM, songbird wrote:
¬*¬*¬* perhaps that is why they call it May?¬*


I am not suppose to plant till the second week in June
(zone 6b).

:-(

But I'VE GOT WWWWW EEEEEEEEE DDDDDD SSSS !!!! Hay,
your maters may be thee foot tall, but my weeds are a
foot tall and I got millions of them!

Okay, not much of a comparison.

Look over at my patch for growing tomatoes and
it is a forest of cheat grass. My poor back!






  #6   Report Post  
Old 26-05-2018, 05:01 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Sep 2012
Posts: 626
Default may get some plants in soon

On 5/25/2018 9:31 PM, T wrote:
On 05/25/2018 08:05 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
On 5/25/2018 8:17 AM, Nyssa wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:

On 5/25/2018 12:04 AM, songbird wrote:
¬*¬*¬* perhaps that is why they call it May?¬*


I am not suppose to plant till the second week in June
(zone 6b).

:-(

But I'VE GOT¬*¬*¬* WWWWW EEEEEEEEE DDDDDD SSSS !!!!¬* Hay,
your maters may be thee foot tall, but my weeds are a
foot tall and I got millions of them!

Okay, not much of a comparison.

Look over at my patch for growing tomatoes and
it is a forest of cheat grass.¬* My poor back!




¬* Are you mulching ? I put a heavy layer of straw down between the
rows/plants , helps a lot with weed control - plus as it decomposes it
adds organic material to my soil . Another measure I take is to burn any
grass , in hopes that it will kill the seeds .¬* On another topic , was
it you that had problems with squash bugs ? Found a few out on/near my
acorn and other squash plants , and squashed them ...pun intended . I'm
wondering if just removing the eggs from the leaves is enough , or if I
need to take additional steps to prevent a major infestation .

--
Snag
Ain't no dollar sign on
peace of mind - Zac Brown

  #7   Report Post  
Old 26-05-2018, 06:52 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jan 2015
Posts: 730
Default may get some plants in soon

On 05/25/2018 08:01 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
On 5/25/2018 9:31 PM, T wrote:
On 05/25/2018 08:05 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
On 5/25/2018 8:17 AM, Nyssa wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:

On 5/25/2018 12:04 AM, songbird wrote:
¬*¬*¬* perhaps that is why they call it May?¬*


I am not suppose to plant till the second week in June
(zone 6b).

:-(

But I'VE GOT¬*¬*¬* WWWWW EEEEEEEEE DDDDDD SSSS !!!!¬* Hay,
your maters may be thee foot tall, but my weeds are a
foot tall and I got millions of them!

Okay, not much of a comparison.

Look over at my patch for growing tomatoes and
it is a forest of cheat grass.¬* My poor back!




¬* Are you mulching ? I put a heavy layer of straw down between the
rows/plants , helps a lot with weed control - plus as it decomposes it
adds organic material to my soil .


No I haven't been mulching. I haven't the time or resources.

Another measure I take is to burn any
grass , in hopes that it will kill the seeds .


Fire? You do know I am a married man? When she is done
killing me, she will come for you! (ordinarily, she is
the sweetest thing on this earth, but don't burn anything
around her!)

On another topic , was
it you that had problems with squash bugs ? Found a few out on/near my
acorn and other squash plants , and squashed them ...pun intended . I'm
wondering if just removing the eggs from the leaves is enough , or if I
need to take additional steps to prevent a major infestation .


The little buzzards are hard to squish, so you really have the stomp
hard. And they are stink bugs, so don't squash them with your hands
or gloves. Pew pew pew.

They will lay their eggs under squash leaves. Look under the leaves to
find them. When you get good at it, you will notice a stain on the
top of your leaves. I just mash/squash them with my fingers (eggs
don't smell).

The same stain can also signal a group of immature bugs.
They are social and clump together, so you have about three
seconds to spray them with organic pyrethrum. You can kill
about 20 with one squirt.

I spot water with a watering wand. Squash bugs LOVE the trunks
of squash plants during the day and despise getting wet. So I
water the trunk first and wait and see what wonders up. Then
I spray them with organic pyrethrum. The adults are armor plated,
so you have to spray then right on the nose. Some will go under they
vulnerable underbellies, and that will kill them. Their backs
are impervious. They are also pretty slow to react during the
heat of the day.

I love to catch the making wooppie. Their butts are together and don't
comes apart. They fight each other as to which way to run. Easy to
nail two at once.

They also love the underside of your squash fruit during the day as
it is cooler under there. I shake them off and stomp them.

Death to squash bugs!
Death to earwigs!
Death to weeds!




  #8   Report Post  
Old 26-05-2018, 03:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,681
Default may get some plants in soon

Terry Coombs wrote:
....
Well you better hurry up , or you May find it's already June ...


we have plants, some of the perennials got planted this
morning. have to get the hoses run to the garden and will
be ready to plant the veggies. really hot and humid today.
i really need a break, but i'm not going to get it.

Mom was out there this morning trying to get ahead of the
heat, but it is so humid already. i'm not sure what we'll
actually get done today. not too many to plant, but it all
takes time. onions, cucumbers, peppers, tomatoes. beans
i'll start in on next week.

finished up tile yesterday on ceiling so now let it dry
for a few days and then grout. will be glad to have it
done.


I have
'maters that are almost 3 feet tall now , the lettuce patch has kicked
into high gear , and a couple of days ago I planted some anaheim pepper
seedlings I got from the co-op . They are also doing well - I've never
been able to grow these from seed , whether planted out or started in
trays .


the only thing three feet by this time is the ditch
grass. alfalfa is up about a foot and a half. clematis
are up about that too, but they grow fast up the trellises.


And the bees are blowin' up , I'll be checking them today to see
if they need more storage space . Also be looking for queen cells from
the last splits , with an eye to starting a couple more colonies . Those
will probably need to be fed , since the spring nectar flow is going to
be coming to an end soon .


need to get some buckwheat in a few weeks ago as it
would be flowering within a month's time. you can plow
it under later. good cover crop. i use it for smothering
weeds or keeping the weed population down.


songbird
  #9   Report Post  
Old 26-05-2018, 03:44 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,681
Default may get some plants in soon

T wrote:
....
Fire? You do know I am a married man? When she is done
killing me, she will come for you! (ordinarily, she is
the sweetest thing on this earth, but don't burn anything
around her!)


we react very badly to smoke too so i agree with her.
besides it is a waste of a precious resource... you
need all the organic matter you can get out there.

cardboard is free, rocks are free, smothering works
well.

purselane starting up yet?


songbird
  #10   Report Post  
Old 26-05-2018, 04:59 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Sep 2012
Posts: 626
Default may get some plants in soon

On 5/26/2018 8:30 AM, songbird wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:
...
Well you better hurry up , or you May find it's already June ...

we have plants, some of the perennials got planted this
morning. have to get the hoses run to the garden and will
be ready to plant the veggies. really hot and humid today.
i really need a break, but i'm not going to get it.

Mom was out there this morning trying to get ahead of the
heat, but it is so humid already. i'm not sure what we'll
actually get done today. not too many to plant, but it all
takes time. onions, cucumbers, peppers, tomatoes. beans
i'll start in on next week.

finished up tile yesterday on ceiling so now let it dry
for a few days and then grout. will be glad to have it
done.


I have
'maters that are almost 3 feet tall now , the lettuce patch has kicked
into high gear , and a couple of days ago I planted some anaheim pepper
seedlings I got from the co-op . They are also doing well - I've never
been able to grow these from seed , whether planted out or started in
trays .

the only thing three feet by this time is the ditch
grass. alfalfa is up about a foot and a half. clematis
are up about that too, but they grow fast up the trellises.


And the bees are blowin' up , I'll be checking them today to see
if they need more storage space . Also be looking for queen cells from
the last splits , with an eye to starting a couple more colonies . Those
will probably need to be fed , since the spring nectar flow is going to
be coming to an end soon .

need to get some buckwheat in a few weeks ago as it
would be flowering within a month's time. you can plow
it under later. good cover crop. i use it for smothering
weeds or keeping the weed population down.


songbird


¬* Well , you gotta remember we're a little south of you ... and I have
some buckwheat seed , planned to try and establish a patch that will
self-seed . Not only is it good forage for the bees , but it attracts
deer ... which is one reason I'm planting it somewhere other than in or
near the garden . I was going to tile the bathroom and kitchen floors
here , but my wife thinks she'd prefer hardwood . I'll be using the Good
Stuff , prefinished solid oak .

--
Snag
Ain't no dollar sign on
peace of mind - Zac Brown



  #11   Report Post  
Old 27-05-2018, 06:17 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,681
Default may get some plants in soon

Terry Coombs wrote:
....re buckwheat...
¬* Well , you gotta remember we're a little south of you ... and I have
some buckwheat seed , planned to try and establish a patch that will
self-seed .


critters eat most of it and the seeds, you may
get volunteer wandering plants here or there from
them but don't expect a large stand. at least i
have not ever gotten them to do that here...


Not only is it good forage for the bees , but it attracts
deer ... which is one reason I'm planting it somewhere other than in or
near the garden .


yes, the deer, rabbits, etc. all seem to like it.


I was going to tile the bathroom and kitchen floors
here , but my wife thinks she'd prefer hardwood . I'll be using the Good
Stuff , prefinished solid oak .


if you go that route, make a "no outdoors shoes in the house"
rule, and have a splash guard on the floor around the sink/fridge
area. will save a ton of wear and tear and cover for dropping
or leaking things. our wood floors are over 20yrs old and still
on original finish and doing ok. it gets dusted once in a while.
oh, and of course, all heavy stuff/chairs/etc. must have footies
to keep them from ruining the floor too. i love wood floors,
carpets are so gross to me in comparison. dogs and cats are not
all that compatible with wood floors IMO.


songbird
  #12   Report Post  
Old 27-05-2018, 07:43 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jan 2015
Posts: 730
Default may get some plants in soon

On 05/26/2018 06:44 AM, songbird wrote:
purselane starting up yet?


One little tiny sprout!
  #13   Report Post  
Old 27-05-2018, 01:14 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Sep 2012
Posts: 626
Default may get some plants in soon

On 5/26/2018 11:17 PM, songbird wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:
...re buckwheat...
¬* Well , you gotta remember we're a little south of you ... and I have
some buckwheat seed , planned to try and establish a patch that will
self-seed .

critters eat most of it and the seeds, you may
get volunteer wandering plants here or there from
them but don't expect a large stand. at least i
have not ever gotten them to do that here...


Not only is it good forage for the bees , but it attracts
deer ... which is one reason I'm planting it somewhere other than in or
near the garden .

yes, the deer, rabbits, etc. all seem to like it.


I was going to tile the bathroom and kitchen floors
here , but my wife thinks she'd prefer hardwood . I'll be using the Good
Stuff , prefinished solid oak .

if you go that route, make a "no outdoors shoes in the house"
rule, and have a splash guard on the floor around the sink/fridge
area. will save a ton of wear and tear and cover for dropping
or leaking things. our wood floors are over 20yrs old and still
on original finish and doing ok. it gets dusted once in a while.
oh, and of course, all heavy stuff/chairs/etc. must have footies
to keep them from ruining the floor too. i love wood floors,
carpets are so gross to me in comparison. dogs and cats are not
all that compatible with wood floors IMO.


songbird


¬* A large dog that likes to play rough is my biggest concern ... I'm
afraid he'll scratch up the finish with his claws . Some games will have
to be reserved for places where we have area rugs .

--
Snag
Ain't no dollar sign on
peace of mind - Zac Brown

  #14   Report Post  
Old 27-05-2018, 01:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,681
Default may get some plants in soon

T wrote:
songbird wrote:
purselane starting up yet?


One little tiny sprout!


ours are just starting to show up, millions more i'm
sure.

i was hoping to get some beans planted today but
with last night's heavy rain and more rain this morning
i'm going to take the next two days off. forecast is
for 91F both days.

gardens planted yesterday morning is good enough start
for me. normally we plant about this time and then i
fill in any gaps with beans into early or even mid-June
anyways.


songbird
  #15   Report Post  
Old 27-05-2018, 01:42 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,681
Default may get some plants in soon

Terry Coombs wrote:
....pets and wood floors...
¬* A large dog that likes to play rough is my biggest concern ... I'm
afraid he'll scratch up the finish with his claws . Some games will have
to be reserved for places where we have area rugs .


have to keep nails trimmed. then again if you don't
doggie won't be able to sneak up on you.


songbird


Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How soon is too soon? General Schvantzkoph Edible Gardening 4 05-03-2007 06:39 PM
I need some suggestions. I went a little crazing with some Crocosmia 'Lucifer' and some daylillies and I need to get them undeer control! Marc Gardening 4 31-05-2005 04:17 PM
Post Your Three Favorite Plants - I Make Up Facts That May or May Not Have MLEBLANCA Gardening 13 17-01-2004 08:13 PM
Post Your Three Favorite Plants - I Make Up Facts That May or May Not Have Any Relevance Whatsoever Salty Thumb Gardening 2 11-01-2004 02:13 PM
[IBC] BONSAI Digest - 15 May 2003 to 16 May 2003 (#2003-137) Jim Stone Bonsai 1 18-05-2003 09:08 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:03 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2004-2019 GardenBanter.co.uk.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Gardening"

 

Copyright © 2017