Old 06-06-2018, 12:19 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Too Wet!

I was complaining that we weren't getting enough rain on the pastures, then we had about two weeks of almost steady rain. You might have seen the videos of the terrible floods in Ellicott City, Maryland. They're at about 9:00 to central Baltimore and we're located at about 1:00, about the same distance out.

I'm sure that in a few weeks I'll be complaining about the lack of rain again.

Went out to the garden this morning; looks like a good year for cabbage, which is great, because we're out of home made sauerkraut. We might even have enough red cabbage to make some red kraut, although my wife finds that weird. If weeds were a cash crop, we'd be very wealthy dirt farmers.

Had the sheep shorn last week.

Paul
Old 06-06-2018, 02:09 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Pavel314 wrote:
I was complaining that we weren't getting enough rain on the pastures, then we had about two weeks of almost steady rain. You might have seen the videos of the terrible floods in Ellicott City, Maryland. They're at about 9:00 to central Baltimore and we're located at about 1:00, about the same distance out.

it was pretty toasty for a while and i'm sure glad it has
moderated the past several days.

I'm sure that in a few weeks I'll be complaining about the lack of rain again.

Went out to the garden this morning; looks like a good year for cabbage, which is great, because we're out of home made sauerkraut. We might even have enough red cabbage to make some red kraut, although my wife finds that weird. If weeds were a cash crop, we'd be very wealthy dirt farmers.

yum, love cabbage and kraut. growing cabbage here, it
must be caged, no free-range cabbages here, the caterpillars
go to town on it and i don't like to use any sort of sprays
on my veggies. i tried growing it one season and spent way
too much time each day trying to pick off all the eggs and
caterpillars. even with the help of the wasps (which will
use them for feeding their larva) searching the plants i
still ended up with several heads rotten from the damage.

i like how the red cabbage can be used as an indicator
for pH.

https://www.sciencekiddo.com/red-cabbage-ph-indicator/

Had the sheep shorn last week.

i used to know someone who did that for a living
in Australia. i know i could not do it... sounded
very demanding.

just planting beans here and weeding today. looks
like another perfect day out there.

songbird
Old 06-06-2018, 02:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Wednesday, June 6, 2018 at 8:44:29 AM UTC-4, songbird wrote:
Pavel314 wrote:
[...]

I noticed that if red cabbage is exposed to iron, like a cast iron skillet, it turns blue. I once had the idea to make red, white, and blue cabbage for the Fourth of July, but that ended up on the to-do list, like a lot of my great ideas.

Had the sheep shorn last week.

i used to know someone who did that for a living
in Australia. i know i could not do it... sounded
very demanding.

Our shearer came to Maryland from Scotland by way of Australia. I used to shear our sheep but eventually got too old to wrestle sheep.

just planting beans here and weeding today. looks
like another perfect day out there.

Our trap range is open on Wednesday mornings so I'll garden tomorrow.

songbird

Old 06-06-2018, 05:21 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 06/05/2018 03:19 PM, Pavel314 wrote:
If weeds were a cash crop, we'd be very wealthy dirt farmers

I am going to get me a sign for my front yard:

Free Weeds! You pick!

:'(

Old 07-06-2018, 02:38 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

T wrote:
I am going to get me a sign for my front yard:

Free Weeds! You pick!

:'(

weeds are good sign that things are wanting
to grow there. compare that to barrens...

do you like dill? i just picked some fresh
and it was delicious. if you can grow it and
let it go to seed you'll have more edible
weeds to pick from. it reseeded from a
few plants i had last year that came about from
some packages of seeds i'd scattered the year
before. i love dill.

songbird

Old 07-06-2018, 03:33 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 06/06/2018 05:38 PM, songbird wrote:
T wrote:
I am going to get me a sign for my front yard:

Free Weeds! You pick!

:'(

weeds are good sign that things are wanting
to grow there. compare that to barrens...

do you like dill? i just picked some fresh
and it was delicious. if you can grow it and
let it go to seed you'll have more edible
weeds to pick from. it reseeded from a
few plants i had last year that came about from
some packages of seeds i'd scattered the year
before. i love dill.

songbird

Hi Songbird,

Never really cared for dill. Maybe home grown
tastes better. Right now the main issue is cheat grass

Cheat Grass
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bromus_tectorum

And cheat grass will grow ANYWHERE. Doesn't mean
anything about my soil.

Every night when I come home from work, I clear out a
little area of cheat grass. I am starting to see a bit
of progress. But there a millions more to go and they
are starting to mock me. "Ha Ha! Back hurts, doesn't
it! [raspberries]"

But I do also have dandelions. Since a weed is
agricultural discard, I tried some organic dandelion
greens from the store, thinking maybe I can turn
the table on these guys. And well, all I can say is
now I know why they are an agricultural discard.
YUK YUK YUK.

On the bright side, a lot of spots are glowing red
with purslane sprouts. I like misting everything
anyway to keep the fire hazard down from all the
cheat grass (they are easier to pull that way too)
and the purslane really love that.

I am not sue any of my neighbors would fall for
my "Free Weeds; You Pick" sign anyway.

:-)

-T
Old 07-06-2018, 09:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

T wrote:
Never really cared for dill. Maybe home grown
tastes better. Right now the main issue is cheat grass

Cheat Grass
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bromus_tectorum

And cheat grass will grow ANYWHERE. Doesn't mean
anything about my soil.

Every night when I come home from work, I clear out a
little area of cheat grass. I am starting to see a bit
of progress. But there a millions more to go and they
are starting to mock me. "Ha Ha! Back hurts, doesn't
it! [raspberries]"

every bit you can clear out is that many fewer
seeds that can sprout later. but from the read
it sounds like it will be a multi-year project to
get rid of it. are you planting any other cover
crops? if you are watering each day you should
be able to grow something else besides grass.

i'm not sure how buckwheat would do, but it is
quick growing and worth a try for the shade and
bee habitat/food it provides. the big leaves
make it tough for other plants to compete. if
you are clearing an area, reseed it with something
else.

one prolific annual here is called love in a mist.
unique plant and blue flowers. zillions of seeds.
grows in the gravel along with the annual poppies.

But I do also have dandelions. Since a weed is
agricultural discard, I tried some organic dandelion
greens from the store, thinking maybe I can turn
the table on these guys. And well, all I can say is
now I know why they are an agricultural discard.
YUK YUK YUK.

did you cook them according to some recipe or just
eat them? i've not ever tried them. purslane i
have tried.

On the bright side, a lot of spots are glowing red
with purslane sprouts. I like misting everything
anyway to keep the fire hazard down from all the
cheat grass (they are easier to pull that way too)
and the purslane really love that.

I am not sue any of my neighbors would fall for
my "Free Weeds; You Pick" sign anyway.

:-)

nobody ever does...

songbird
Old 08-06-2018, 05:35 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Pavel314 wrote:
I noticed that if red cabbage is exposed to iron, like a cast iron skillet, it turns blue. I once had the idea to make red, white, and blue cabbage for the Fourth of July, but that ended up on the to-do list, like a lot of my great ideas.

hmm...

Our shearer came to Maryland from Scotland by way of Australia. I used to shear our sheep but eventually got too old to wrestle sheep.

it sounded very demanding when described to me.
i already knew long ago that keeping animals wasn't
for me.

just planting beans here and weeding today. looks
like another perfect day out there.

Our trap range is open on Wednesday mornings so I'll garden tomorrow.

been so nice out. one or two more days of inside
the fence planting to go. i really need to get back to
some weeding and cleanup outside the fenced areas. they're
looking pretty bad in places.

songbird
Old 09-06-2018, 05:07 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 06/07/2018 12:27 PM, songbird wrote:
But I do also have dandelions. Since a weed is
agricultural discard, I tried some organic dandelion
greens from the store, thinking maybe I can turn
the table on these guys. And well, all I can say is
now I know why they are an agricultural discard.
YUK YUK YUK.

did you cook them according to some recipe or just
eat them? i've not ever tried them. purslane i
have tried.

Ate them raw. They we beyond awful. A bad
aftertaste too. One of those things where you
put your tongue under the faucet.

My diet demands I eat about half cooked and
half raw veggies. I love raw spinach (cooked: YUK) and
lettuce, cucumbers, carrots, tomatoes (both cooked
and raw), berries, etc..

It always breaks me heart when I come across a T2
diabetic that is committing slow suicide by not
kicking the carbs. It only took me about three weeks
to kick the addiction. I have never enjoyed food so
much in my life! I eat really, really well.

I am trying to pull out all the cheat grass before
their seeds fall off.

I reseeded my Korean radish yesterday. We shall see.
My reseeded Japanese onions I reseeded last week
haven't sprouted yet.

Death to Dandelions!
Death to Cheat Grass!

Old 09-06-2018, 03:03 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

T wrote:
Ate them raw. They we beyond awful. A bad
aftertaste too. One of those things where you
put your tongue under the faucet.

oh well... not everyone has the same
tastebuds. Mom can't stand turnips but i like them
just fine. i already know you don't like them too
but it's funny how different people have different
buds...

songbird

Old 10-06-2018, 02:05 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 06/09/2018 06:03 AM, songbird wrote:
T wrote:
Ate them raw. They we beyond awful. A bad
aftertaste too. One of those things where you
put your tongue under the faucet.

oh well... not everyone has the same
tastebuds. Mom can't stand turnips but i like them
just fine. i already know you don't like them too
but it's funny how different people have different
buds...

songbird

Oh and you know when I got over the carbohydrate addiction and
got on the ancestral diet, my taste changed too. (You sense
of taste returns). I use to adore lamb; now I can not stand
to be near the smell.

Wet, wet, wet David Hill United Kingdom 54 22-12-2012 04:28 PM
Wet, Wet, Wet Dave Hill United Kingdom 3 22-11-2011 12:14 AM
Evergreen recommendation for Portland, OR (wet, wet, wet) Jadene Mayla Lawns 0 27-06-2011 09:27 PM
Evergreen recommendation for Portland, OR (wet, wet, wet) Jess Lawns 0 24-04-2011 05:08 PM
Wet, Wet, Wet David Hill United Kingdom 16 06-02-2004 04:49 PM