Old 09-06-2018, 05:08 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Does your garlic fall over in the spring?

Hi All,

Every spring my beautiful garlic plants fall over, like
the wind has blown the over before they scape.

This happen to you?

-T
Old 09-06-2018, 02:59 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

T wrote:
Hi All,

Every spring my beautiful garlic plants fall over, like
the wind has blown the over before they scape.

This happen to you?

no. perhaps it could be the variety of garlic, but
you could put a wind-break up for them, just far
enough away so that they are not shaded by it and see
what happens...

songbird
Old 09-06-2018, 03:16 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Fri, 8 Jun 2018 20:08:58 -0700, T wrote:

Every spring my beautiful garlic plants fall over, like
the wind has blown the over before they scape.

How deep do you plant the cloves in the fall?
What garlic varieties?
Soil type?

---

Old 10-06-2018, 02:09 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 06/09/2018 06:16 AM, Gary Woods wrote:
On Fri, 8 Jun 2018 20:08:58 -0700, T wrote:

Every spring my beautiful garlic plants fall over, like
the wind has blown the over before they scape.

How deep do you plant the cloves in the fall?

about 3" deep

What garlic varieties?

purple glazer, I think

Soil type?

Started out barren alkaline. Now is is a mixture of
organic fertilizer, vegi scraps, and peat moss

And these guy stand tall and proud all winder long
with rain, snow, and very high winds

Haven't had much wind this spring
Old 10-06-2018, 02:11 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 06/09/2018 05:59 AM, songbird wrote:
T wrote:
Hi All,

Every spring my beautiful garlic plants fall over, like
the wind has blown the over before they scape.

This happen to you?

no. perhaps it could be the variety of garlic, but
you could put a wind-break up for them, just far
enough away so that they are not shaded by it and see
what happens...

songbird

It is purple glazer, I think.

The high winds of winter did not phase them. Haven't had
much wind this spring. And they do this every year.
They will eventually recover when they decide to scape, then
die out afterwards.

Old 10-06-2018, 02:23 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

T wrote:
Hi All,

Every spring my beautiful garlic plants fall over, like
the wind has blown the over before they scape.

This happen to you?

no. perhaps it could be the variety of garlic, but
you could put a wind-break up for them, just far
enough away so that they are not shaded by it and see
what happens...

songbird

It is purple glazer, I think.

The high winds of winter did not phase them. Haven't had
much wind this spring. And they do this every year.
They will eventually recover when they decide to scape, then
die out afterwards.

I just did a google search ... it's a common topic .. eg

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edi...lic-plants.htm

We don't grow garlic - lots of neighbours do - we scrounge ! :-)
John T.

Fall planting: your plants will thank you next spring! [email protected] Gardening 1 28-08-2008 01:40 AM
Garlic - garlic.jpg Ann Garden Photos 2 03-04-2008 12:31 PM
Spider mites, over and over and over Jonathan Sachs[_2_] Gardening 9 09-08-2007 05:37 AM
Garlic After the Foliage Fall [email protected] Gardening 3 09-07-2006 04:22 PM
Good morning or good evening depending upon your location. I want to ask you the most important question of your life. Your joy or sorrow for all eternity depends upon your answer. The question is: Are you saved? It is not a question of how good [email protected] United Kingdom 0 22-04-2005 05:07 AM