Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old 09-06-2018, 04:08 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jan 2015
Posts: 784
Default Does your garlic fall over in the spring?

Hi All,

Every spring my beautiful garlic plants fall over, like
the wind has blown the over before they scape.

This happen to you?

-T

  #2   Report Post  
Old 09-06-2018, 01:59 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,743
Default Does your garlic fall over in the spring?

T wrote:
Hi All,

Every spring my beautiful garlic plants fall over, like
the wind has blown the over before they scape.

This happen to you?


no. perhaps it could be the variety of garlic, but
you could put a wind-break up for them, just far
enough away so that they are not shaded by it and see
what happens...


songbird
  #3   Report Post  
Old 09-06-2018, 02:16 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Dec 2009
Posts: 122
Default Does your garlic fall over in the spring?

On Fri, 8 Jun 2018 20:08:58 -0700, T wrote:

Every spring my beautiful garlic plants fall over, like
the wind has blown the over before they scape.


How deep do you plant the cloves in the fall?
What garlic varieties?
Soil type?

---
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus

  #4   Report Post  
Old 10-06-2018, 01:09 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jan 2015
Posts: 784
Default Does your garlic fall over in the spring?

On 06/09/2018 06:16 AM, Gary Woods wrote:
On Fri, 8 Jun 2018 20:08:58 -0700, T wrote:

Every spring my beautiful garlic plants fall over, like
the wind has blown the over before they scape.


How deep do you plant the cloves in the fall?


about 3" deep

What garlic varieties?


purple glazer, I think

Soil type?


Started out barren alkaline. Now is is a mixture of
organic fertilizer, vegi scraps, and peat moss


And these guy stand tall and proud all winder long
with rain, snow, and very high winds

Haven't had much wind this spring
  #5   Report Post  
Old 10-06-2018, 01:11 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jan 2015
Posts: 784
Default Does your garlic fall over in the spring?

On 06/09/2018 05:59 AM, songbird wrote:
T wrote:
Hi All,

Every spring my beautiful garlic plants fall over, like
the wind has blown the over before they scape.

This happen to you?


no. perhaps it could be the variety of garlic, but
you could put a wind-break up for them, just far
enough away so that they are not shaded by it and see
what happens...


songbird


It is purple glazer, I think.

The high winds of winter did not phase them. Haven't had
much wind this spring. And they do this every year.
They will eventually recover when they decide to scape, then
die out afterwards.



  #6   Report Post  
Old 10-06-2018, 01:23 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: May 2016
Posts: 41
Default Does your garlic fall over in the spring?

On Sat, 9 Jun 2018 17:11:21 -0700, T wrote:

On 06/09/2018 05:59 AM, songbird wrote:
T wrote:
Hi All,

Every spring my beautiful garlic plants fall over, like
the wind has blown the over before they scape.

This happen to you?


no. perhaps it could be the variety of garlic, but
you could put a wind-break up for them, just far
enough away so that they are not shaded by it and see
what happens...


songbird


It is purple glazer, I think.

The high winds of winter did not phase them. Haven't had
much wind this spring. And they do this every year.
They will eventually recover when they decide to scape, then
die out afterwards.



I just did a google search ... it's a common topic .. eg

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edi...lic-plants.htm

We don't grow garlic - lots of neighbours do - we scrounge ! :-)
John T.



Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fall planting: your plants will thank you next spring! [email protected] Gardening 1 28-08-2008 12:40 AM
Garlic - garlic.jpg Ann Garden Photos 2 03-04-2008 11:31 AM
Spider mites, over and over and over Jonathan Sachs[_2_] Gardening 9 09-08-2007 04:37 AM
Garlic After the Foliage Fall [email protected] Gardening 3 09-07-2006 03:22 PM
Good morning or good evening depending upon your location. I want to ask you the most important question of your life. Your joy or sorrow for all eternity depends upon your answer. The question is: Are you saved? It is not a question of how good [email protected] United Kingdom 0 22-04-2005 04:07 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:24 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2004-2019 GardenBanter.co.uk.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Gardening"

 

Copyright © 2017