Old 17-06-2018, 11:56 PM
Registered User

Default eating wildflowers?

When I was surfing the Internet I came across a unusual topic about cooking. It was about preparing dishes with use of wild flowers from our gardens that many people think as weeds. Of course, not all of them are tasty and safe; however, many of them are edible so we should be more aware of what we are dropping out! Look what kinds of plants I found edible: sweet violet (both flower and leaves), carnelian (leaves) and also dandelion! Have you ever eaten some of them? Or maybe you know others that may be edible?
Old 18-06-2018, 12:57 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 6/17/2018 5:56 PM, Maya74 wrote:
When I was surfing the Internet I came across a unusual topic about
cooking. It was about preparing dishes with use of wild flowers from our
gardens that many people think as weeds. Of course, not all of them are
tasty and safe; however, many of them are edible so we should be more
aware of what we are dropping out! Look what kinds of plants I found
edible: sweet violet (both flower and leaves), carnelian (leaves) and
also dandelion! Have you ever eaten some of them? Or maybe you know
others that may be edible?

I like reading this old book: Stalking The Wild Asparagus [Euell Gibbons]'
Would give you a good feel for this.

Old 18-06-2018, 02:46 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

--
Maya74

I used to teach a one day course on edibles. My main emphasis was on mushrooms,
but one portion I called eat your weeds. Lots of edibles come up in my garden every year. I really enjoy lamb's quarter, both raw and sautéed. It's very like spinach. Wild amaranth (red root pigweed) is a tasty green as well as producing edible seeds. Then there's purslane, dandelion, garlic mustard etc.... Do a little research, there's lots out there.
Steve

Gorman Wildflowers Charles Gardening 0 29-04-2003 05:44 AM
Petrified Wood And Desert Wildflowers Inyo Plant Science 0 26-04-2003 02:30 PM
Question on Growing Wildflowers Jerry Adams Gardening 6 08-03-2003 09:33 PM
Petrified Wood And Desert Wildflowers Inyo Plant Science 0 01-03-2003 09:14 PM
Perennial Wildflowers Martin & Anna Sykes United Kingdom 2 04-12-2002 10:48 PM