Old 10-07-2018, 03:44 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default The Trickle

Â* Has started . A cucumber here , there a pepper , a couple of tomatoes
.... The pepper plants are so loaded I had to stake them and we've
already made a batch of pickles . The white greasy beans are easily 18"
over the top of the 5' trellis and loaded . Tomato plants are nearly all
a foot or more taller than the 5 foot cages , and loaded with fruit .
And still blooming their happy little butts off . I'm totally amazed at
the difference over last year . I was considering thinning the tomatoes
, but my go-to-girl at the co-op said that if the tomatoes are getting
good sized I'd just be throwing away part of my crop . Most of the
credit goes to the county extension service , but I think part of the
reason for this success is because I'm watering more this year . On
another note , my peppers are not what I thought I planted - well some
of them . What were supposed to be serranos are mostly , except for a
couple that look suspiciously like jalapenos ... and one of the orange
bells ain't either orange or bell , but looks like a small tomato that's
been squeezed a little flat . Ain't open pollination awesome ?

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Old 11-07-2018, 05:02 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Terry Coombs wrote:

Â* Has started . A cucumber here , there a pepper , a couple of tomatoes
... The pepper plants are so loaded I had to stake them and we've
already made a batch of pickles .

we just picked another five gallon bucket full of
cucumbers this morning so that will be my project for
the day getting those scrubbed and put up.

The white greasy beans are easily 18"
over the top of the 5' trellis and loaded .

have you eaten any yet?

most of the beans here are behind, but some are
finally starting to get some flowers.

Tomato plants are nearly all
a foot or more taller than the 5 foot cages , and loaded with fruit .
And still blooming their happy little butts off .

I'm totally amazed at
the difference over last year . I was considering thinning the tomatoes
, but my go-to-girl at the co-op said that if the tomatoes are getting
good sized I'd just be throwing away part of my crop .

i've never bothered to thin or remove suckers or
whatever some people go on about. my brother did
all of that before, but we've not ever done it and
always have plenty.

Most of the
credit goes to the county extension service , but I think part of the
reason for this success is because I'm watering more this year .

we've had no rain since we had the 5+" downpour a
few weeks ago. from feast to famine... i get out
every two or three days to water, in this heat with
the clay it's better to keep it regularly watered
so it can get down to the roots of the plants. that
helps to avoid the worst of the BER, we may get a
few early tomatoes with that but after they seem to
do ok.

On
another note , my peppers are not what I thought I planted - well some
of them . What were supposed to be serranos are mostly , except for a
couple that look suspiciously like jalapenos ... and one of the orange
bells ain't either orange or bell , but looks like a small tomato that's
been squeezed a little flat . Ain't open pollination awesome ?

it's interesting what may come up. after a while
you may get more odd things than you can ever evaluate.

songbird
Old 11-07-2018, 06:55 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 7/11/2018 10:02 AM, songbird wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:

Â* Has started . A cucumber here , there a pepper , a couple of tomatoes
... The pepper plants are so loaded I had to stake them and we've
already made a batch of pickles .

we just picked another five gallon bucket full of
cucumbers this morning so that will be my project for
the day getting those scrubbed and put up.

The white greasy beans are easily 18"
over the top of the 5' trellis and loaded .

have you eaten any yet?

Â* No , I missed picking the first few before they started drying out .
I'm keeping a closer eye on them now . They're blooming and still
producing , I think in a couple more days there'll be enough to try them
as green beans .

[...]

Â*I tried one of those odd squashed-tomato looking peppers this morning
, they taste a lot like a green pepper with some after-heat . The wife
agreed .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Old 12-07-2018, 06:21 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Terry Coombs wrote:
Â* No , I missed picking the first few before they started drying out .
I'm keeping a closer eye on them now . They're blooming and still
producing , I think in a couple more days there'll be enough to try them
as green beans .

leave enough for seeds, they take a while up here to fill
out the seeds completely.

Â*I tried one of those odd squashed-tomato looking peppers this morning
, they taste a lot like a green pepper with some after-heat . The wife
agreed .

were they good? let a few get ripe ripe and see how
they taste.

i don't much go for green peppers but really love a
good red pepper, especially when roasted.

songbird
Old 12-07-2018, 09:19 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 7/12/2018 11:21 AM, songbird wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:
Â* No , I missed picking the first few before they started drying out .
I'm keeping a closer eye on them now . They're blooming and still
producing , I think in a couple more days there'll be enough to try them
as green beans .

leave enough for seeds, they take a while up here to fill
out the seeds completely.

Â*I tried one of those odd squashed-tomato looking peppers this morning
, they taste a lot like a green pepper with some after-heat . The wife
agreed .

were they good? let a few get ripe ripe and see how
they taste.

i don't much go for green peppers but really love a
good red pepper, especially when roasted.

songbird

Â*Â* The beans actually ripened much quicker than expected . Still a lot
of green pods on , and plenty of blossoms so I think we'll get some
green and dried . I'm not sure they like the heat we've been having - it
has been hotter than "normal" though so ...

Â* I just whittled a couple of slices from that one pepper that I picked
accidentally . I'm going to let some get bigger/riper and see what they
taste like . I'm not a big fan of green peppers , they don't like me .
We have some called "sweet reds" that I'm bettin' will make a great pot
of chili ... a long tapered pepper that's supposed to be very mild .
Peppers ain't just about the heat , each variety has it's own flavor . I
just wish the jalapenos I pickled the other day had more heat . Just
sittin' here thinkin' about what I have out in the garden that would be
good in/with/for dinner . Maybe something using some kind of peppers , I
think .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old