GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Okay, something I can "actually" grow (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/215572-okay-something-i-can-actually-grow.html)

T[_4_] 19-07-2018 01:45 AM

Okay, something I can "actually" grow

But they are not for eating. They are for the heart.

https://ibb.co/nfMt3d
https://ibb.co/mhefid

My zeroscape front yard is covered with them.

-T

Muggles[_5_] 19-07-2018 04:48 AM

Okay, something I can "actually" grow

On 7/18/2018 7:45 PM, T wrote:
But they are not for eating.Â* They are for the heart.

https://ibb.co/nfMt3d
https://ibb.co/mhefid

My zeroscape front yard is covered with them.

-T

Hollyhocks?

--
Maggie

T[_4_] 19-07-2018 05:02 AM

On 07/18/2018 08:48 PM, Muggles wrote:
On 7/18/2018 7:45 PM, T wrote:
But they are not for eating.Â* They are for the heart.

https://ibb.co/nfMt3d
https://ibb.co/mhefid

My zeroscape front yard is covered with them.

-T

Hollyhocks?

Yes and in the traditional five pedal dicot pattern (not the
hybrid cotton ball that looks like a carnation). I must have
around 300 flowers in my front yard with varying vibrant colors.
Neighbors stop and look. I have gotten some nice remarks.

Weird. I have not watered my Holyhocks all summer. My back yard
zukes whine and wilt if they don't get watered every day.
They are quite pampered. (Wait till they find out what I am
going to do with their offspring. I wonder if they will
believe my story about taking them for a drive in the country
again this year. Chuckle.)

My back yard (all garden now) looks horrible with all the
cheat grass. It's the only weed I was not able to contain.
I found that when they are young, they succumb to vinegar,
so next year ...

I think I will get my first zucchini this week!

-T

Muggles[_5_] 19-07-2018 02:55 PM

On 7/18/2018 7:45 PM, T wrote:
But they are not for eating.Â* They are for the heart.

https://ibb.co/nfMt3d
https://ibb.co/mhefid

My zeroscape front yard is covered with them.

-T

Hollyhocks?

Yes and in the traditional five pedal dicot pattern (not the
hybrid cotton ball that looks like a carnation).Â* I must have
around 300 flowers in my front yard with varying vibrant colors.
Neighbors stop and look.Â* I have gotten some nice remarks.

Weird.Â* I have not watered my Holyhocks all summer.Â* My back yard
zukes whine and wilt if they don't get watered every day.
They are quite pampered.Â* (Wait till they find out what I am
going to do with their offspring.Â* I wonder if they will
believe my story about taking them for a drive in the country
again this year.Â* Chuckle.)

My back yard (all garden now) looks horrible with all the
cheat grass.Â* It's the only weed I was not able to contain.
I found that when they are young, they succumb to vinegar,
so next year ...

I think I will get my first zucchini this week!

-T

We've given up on zucchini and squash growing. Every year no matter
what we do the vine borers kill every plant. This year is a wet and hot
summer, so bacterial disease is killing our cukes and some of our
tomatoes, too. But, we have plenty of produce coming in despite all of
that. A squirrel, or should I say tree rat as my husband says, bit into
one of his prize tomatoes that he was trying to hide. He was ticked off
about that and would love to shoot every tree rat in a square block
radius for it, too! lol

--
Maggie

songbird[_2_] 20-07-2018 04:44 AM

T wrote:
But they are not for eating. They are for the heart.

https://ibb.co/nfMt3d
https://ibb.co/mhefid

My zeroscape front yard is covered with them.

we used to have a lot more of them, but they
got rust.

it's plentiful organic matter and tons of seeds.
around here they hide weeds too well and are picky
to do things with. i'm not all that fond of them
but the bees and hummingbirds like them.

songbird

songbird[_2_] 20-07-2018 04:46 AM

T wrote:
My back yard (all garden now) looks horrible with all the
cheat grass. It's the only weed I was not able to contain.
I found that when they are young, they succumb to vinegar,
so next year ...

a scuffle hoe works very well to take out weeds when
they're young. and it's also good in that it doesn't
have to disturb the soil much to do it or you can
skim across a hard pan or clay surface.

songbird

T[_4_] 20-07-2018 10:32 PM

On 07/19/2018 08:46 PM, songbird wrote:
T wrote:
My back yard (all garden now) looks horrible with all the
cheat grass. It's the only weed I was not able to contain.
I found that when they are young, they succumb to vinegar,
so next year ...

a scuffle hoe works very well to take out weeds when
they're young. and it's also good in that it doesn't
have to disturb the soil much to do it or you can
skim across a hard pan or clay surface.

songbird

I am going to blast them with Vinegar next year.

On the exposed dirt, I have dispatched most of the
cheat grass. But the decorative rocks, I have to put
by hand.

T[_4_] 20-07-2018 11:06 PM

On 07/19/2018 08:44 PM, songbird wrote:
T wrote:
But they are not for eating. They are for the heart.

https://ibb.co/nfMt3d
https://ibb.co/mhefid

My zeroscape front yard is covered with them.

we used to have a lot more of them, but they
got rust.

it's plentiful organic matter and tons of seeds.
around here they hide weeds too well and are picky
to do things with. i'm not all that fond of them
but the bees and hummingbirds like them.

songbird

I am tickled I can grow anything. I am also trying
to get them to grow in the back yard as they attract
bees like crazy.

I love their vibrant colors. And we just had a thunderstorm,
so I don't have to water them for a month of so.

I am looking forward to the growth spurt on my garden from,
the nitrogen rain from the thunderstorm!

With this 96F weather, I have to "soak" my zukes, or
they whine and whine and wilt and wilt ... Slave! Slave!
Water!

Interesting how some species insure their survival by
bribing humans to pamper them. A Bug! A Bug! A Bug!
WHERE'S MY WATER !?!?!

songbird[_2_] 21-07-2018 09:45 AM

T wrote:
I am going to blast them with Vinegar next year.

On the exposed dirt, I have dispatched most of the
cheat grass. But the decorative rocks, I have to put
by hand.

is it an annual?

songbird

songbird[_2_] 21-07-2018 09:57 AM

T wrote:
I am tickled I can grow anything. I am also trying
to get them to grow in the back yard as they attract
bees like crazy.

I love their vibrant colors. And we just had a thunderstorm,
so I don't have to water them for a month of so.

that's great all around. shade and organic matter
for free. :) and now free water and fertilizer
delivered by Momma nature. whatever you can capture
of that and hold in your soil adds up over the
years...

I am looking forward to the growth spurt on my garden from,
the nitrogen rain from the thunderstorm!

weeds! we've had a few rains recently and now we
have morning glory seeds sprouting in the pathway
again. this is four years after we stopped letting
them grow on the neighboring fence. they are great
makers of organic material too and will spread way
too easily around here.

With this 96F weather, I have to "soak" my zukes, or
they whine and whine and wilt and wilt ... Slave! Slave!
Water!

Interesting how some species insure their survival by
bribing humans to pamper them. A Bug! A Bug! A Bug!
WHERE'S MY WATER !?!?!

i don't care too much about bugs in the sense
that if a plant doesn't do well here with our mix
of bugs then i'm not going to fight it. instead i
find other things to grow. there's a lot of
variety out there to try.

also, it means the things we do grow are resistant
to the worst of the bugs. we do lose a few squash
plants to borers and the conditions, but since we
plant only from survivors that we've not babied it
seems to work out.

you should see some of the stems of the plants
we harvest from, they're often a mess, but the plants
manage to survive that somehow.

the only plants i baby here are beans that i'm
trying to see how the do or i need more seeds to
evaluate them properly. if i only start with a
few seeds to begin with, but once i have enough seeds
to work with then that variety is no longer babied
at all and it has to cope with most other things
as much as possible. watering is the primary
exception during the whole growing season and some
worm castings and organic matter will get used
when planting or buried at the end of the season
and that's about it. oh, yeah, picking off some
of the japanese beetles can happen here or there
too if the damage gets to be too much.

the rest of what i do falls under normal garden
routine, like for the strawberries where it helps
to thin them and to regenerate a patch with new
plants once every few years. strawberries also
can grow a lot of extra organic matter.

songbird

T[_4_] 21-07-2018 08:43 PM

On 07/21/2018 01:45 AM, songbird wrote:
T wrote:
I am going to blast them with Vinegar next year.

On the exposed dirt, I have dispatched most of the
cheat grass. But the decorative rocks, I have to put
by hand.

is it an annual?

songbird

Green in the spring. Dies in the summer. Leaves seeds that
stick in your clothing all over the place. YUGE fire hazard
in the local mountains. Renting sheep if the preferred
method of clearing it from the mountains

Spray it when it is green before it seeds.