Old 31-07-2018, 04:41 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default I need blackberry help

T wrote:
On 07/30/2018 04:04 PM, T wrote:
On 07/29/2018 10:10 AM, songbird wrote:
T wrote:
Hi All,

I can't get my blackberry seeds to grow anywhere, except this
one little sprouting pot.

https://ibb.co/b13zuT

Question: are these sprouts really blackberries, or has I
been nurturing a bunch of WEEDS?

Â*Â* you should know what purslane looks like by now?
i thought you grew a lot of it?

Â*Â* songbird

It is similar looking in some respects, but not how
it looks as a sprout.Â* For starters, purslane sprouts
are red.

The guys are getting big enough that they are starting
to form the second growth of leaves, so ....

And purslane sprouts have much thicker stocks and their leaves
are rolled up pointing skyward (and are red). The tops of
mature purslane comes in three, fours and fives for pedals,
not perfect fours.

That being said, the pedals on these things I am nursing
look EXACTLY like purslane pedals.

It won't hurt me to keep nursing them If they turn out
to be purslane, I will just eat them. I want to wait
until they start growing mature leaves and drop their
baby leaves.

given different conditions some plants can appear
quite different.

songbird
Old 31-07-2018, 09:06 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 07/30/2018 07:38 PM, songbird wrote:
T wrote:
On 07/29/2018 10:15 AM, songbird wrote:
blackberries i love but won't likely ever grow them.
blueberries are much further up my list of someday plants.

You wouldn't happen to know anyone who grows bilberries for sale?

no, i've never looked for them, but a quick
search did find suppliers so you should be
able to find someone...

songbird

I couldn't find any. Just seed supplier. What search did you use?
Old 31-07-2018, 09:07 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

T wrote:
[...]

The bigger they get, the more they look like purslane too.

Seems there is a BIG difference between wild purslane and
pampered purslane!

Old 01-08-2018, 01:58 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

T wrote:
On 07/29/2018 10:15 AM, songbird wrote:
blackberries i love but won't likely ever grow them.
blueberries are much further up my list of someday plants.

You wouldn't happen to know anyone who grows bilberries for sale?

no, i've never looked for them, but a quick
search did find suppliers so you should be
able to find someone...

songbird

I couldn't find any. Just seed supplier. What search did you use?

https://www.google.com/search?q=bilberry+plant+for+sale

in looking at the places that had them i noticed that they
all said what i suspected, these are wet/moisture loving
plants that grow naturally near bogs and probably also need
sandy acidic soil. i kinda doubt that you'll have very
good luck growing them in an arid climate with alkaline
soil.

songbird
Old 01-08-2018, 01:59 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

T wrote:
The bigger they get, the more they look like purslane too.

Seems there is a BIG difference between wild purslane and
pampered purslane!

i see them start up very tiny and red in places where
the soil is hard/compacted and very hard to get them
going, but they do... with all the seeds they drop
some are bound to find a small gap to creep a root into.

songbird

Old 01-08-2018, 06:49 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

T wrote:
On 07/29/2018 10:15 AM, songbird wrote:
blackberries i love but won't likely ever grow them.
blueberries are much further up my list of someday plants.

You wouldn't happen to know anyone who grows bilberries for sale?

no, i've never looked for them, but a quick
search did find suppliers so you should be
able to find someone...

songbird

I couldn't find any. Just seed supplier. What search did you use?

https://www.google.com/search?q=bilberry+plant+for+sale

in looking at the places that had them i noticed that they
all said what i suspected, these are wet/moisture loving
plants that grow naturally near bogs and probably also need
sandy acidic soil. i kinda doubt that you'll have very
good luck growing them in an arid climate with alkaline
soil.

songbird

Hi Songbird,

The search came up with only overseas sellers of plants.

I see the same thing you ar seeing:

Bilberries are found in acidic, nutrient-poor soils
throughout the temperate and subarctic regions of the world.
(Wikipedia)

Well, I have cold weather and I can fix the acidity of the
soil. And I picked out the wettest part of my garden.

So far my Goji's are going great guns and three of my four
Chokeberries (not cherries) are growing well. And, I finally
found a source of those blackberries with the small seeds
that sells plants.

And I am getting really suspicious of those zero germination
seeds I have been getting: bilberries, blackberries, Bit Time
radish (1 in 10 germinate), Bora King radish (1 in 10 germinate),
and Imai Early Yellow Onion (zero germination).

Me thinks they are getting irradiated through customs.

-T
Old 01-08-2018, 08:31 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

T wrote:
songbird wrote:

https://www.google.com/search?q=bilberry+plant+for+sale

in looking at the places that had them i noticed that they
all said what i suspected, these are wet/moisture loving
plants that grow naturally near bogs and probably also need
sandy acidic soil. i kinda doubt that you'll have very
good luck growing them in an arid climate with alkaline
soil.

try these, in CA, so they won't go across any
border:

http://www.tradewindsfruit.com/vacci...bilberry-seeds

also note that some cold weather plants may need
some stratification of seeds for them to sprout and
grow.

The search came up with only overseas sellers of plants.

I see the same thing you ar seeing:

Bilberries are found in acidic, nutrient-poor soils
throughout the temperate and subarctic regions of the world.
(Wikipedia)

Well, I have cold weather and I can fix the acidity of the
soil. And I picked out the wettest part of my garden.

you may also have to give the plants shade in the hot
summer to prevent them from frying.

So far my Goji's are going great guns and three of my four
Chokeberries (not cherries) are growing well. And, I finally
found a source of those blackberries with the small seeds
that sells plants.

And I am getting really suspicious of those zero germination
seeds I have been getting: bilberries, blackberries, Bit Time
radish (1 in 10 germinate), Bora King radish (1 in 10 germinate),
and Imai Early Yellow Onion (zero germination).

Me thinks they are getting irradiated through customs.

*shrug* i can't say what happens as i rarely order
things from anyplace let alone overseas...

songbird
Old 01-08-2018, 10:43 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 08/01/2018 11:31 AM, songbird wrote:
T wrote:
songbird wrote:

https://www.google.com/search?q=bilberry+plant+for+sale

in looking at the places that had them i noticed that they
all said what i suspected, these are wet/moisture loving
plants that grow naturally near bogs and probably also need
sandy acidic soil. i kinda doubt that you'll have very
good luck growing them in an arid climate with alkaline
soil.

try these, in CA, so they won't go across any
border:

http://www.tradewindsfruit.com/vacci...bilberry-seeds

Will try them if I can not find plants. Thank you!

These seeds came from Outside Pride.

also note that some cold weather plants may need
some stratification of seeds for them to sprout and
grow.

The directions sounded exactly like my winters, so I
planted them in early winter.

Again in spring when they did not come up.

Old 02-08-2018, 12:09 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

T wrote:
The directions sounded exactly like my winters, so I
planted them in early winter.

Again in spring when they did not come up.

they're very tiny seeds you may want to
plant them in a container in the fridge to
control the humidity and temperature better.

songbird
Old 02-08-2018, 05:18 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 08/01/2018 03:09 PM, songbird wrote:
T wrote:
The directions sounded exactly like my winters, so I
planted them in early winter.

Again in spring when they did not come up.

they're very tiny seeds you may want to
plant them in a container in the fridge to
control the humidity and temperature better.

songbird

Huh? Interesting. I wonder if I'd remember to water them.
Hmmm, dirt in the refreg, I wonder if I could get that past
me wife?

Old 02-08-2018, 01:20 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

T wrote:
Huh? Interesting. I wonder if I'd remember to water them.
Hmmm, dirt in the refreg, I wonder if I could get that past
me wife?

in a container in a bag to keep the moisture in, with a
slight gap to allow some air to get in and out.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stratification_(seeds)

i'm not actually sure if bilberries need this or not
but i'm thinking it may just help because the seeds
are are so small.

check it out, study, learn, try things, etc.

songbird

Old 03-08-2018, 07:44 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 08/02/2018 04:20 AM, songbird wrote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stratification_(seeds)

i'm not actually sure if bilberries need this or not
but i'm thinking it may just help because the seeds
are are so small.

That was the description the seller gave and I have seen
elsewhere. From the wikipedia article:

In the wild, seed dormancy is usually overcome by
the seed spending time in the ground through a winter
period and having its hard seed coat softened up by
frost and weathering action. By doing so the seed is
undergoing a natural form of "cold stratification"
or pretreatment. This cold moist period triggers

My winter perfectly matched what they described on the package.

Me thinks they were just dead. I do realize I have a black
thumb, but thanks to you guys help, it is pretty much a gray
thumb now-a-days. I will order from the source you gave
me next time.

-T
Old 03-08-2018, 07:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 08/03/2018 10:44 AM, T wrote:
On 08/02/2018 04:20 AM, songbird wrote:
Â*Â* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stratification_(seeds)

Â*Â* i'm not actually sure if bilberries need this or not
but i'm thinking it may just help because the seeds
are are so small.

That was the description the seller gave and I have seen
elsewhere.Â* From the wikipedia article:

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* In the wild, seed dormancy is usually overcome by
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* the seed spending time in the ground through a winter
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* period and having its hard seed coat softened up by
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* frost and weathering action. By doing so the seed is
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* undergoing aÂ* natural form of "cold stratification"
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* or pretreatment. This cold moist period triggers

My winter perfectly matched what they described on the package.

Me thinks they were just dead.Â* I do realize I have a black
thumb, but thanks to you guys help, it is pretty much a gray
thumb now-a-days.Â*Â* I will order from the source you gave
me next time.

-T

And I have noticed that Outside Pride no longer sell these seeds.
Hmmmmmmm ...

Old 04-08-2018, 03:24 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

T wrote:

[...]

It sounds similar to what is needed for trillium seeds to
sprout.

The recommendation for the trillium seeds were to put them
into the freezer for several weeks, then start the seeds
indoors for later transplanting into their permanent home
in the garden.

I will admit to getting a low rate of germination with the
trillium even with the freezer treatment, but at least it's
better than waiting all winter to find out that you've
crapped out with them in the spring. There's still time to
try the freezer routine again with new seeds or another
batch.

I'm already growing blueberries (had a nice crop this
year too), otherwise I might look into the bilberries myself.

Nyssa, who has zero vegetables this year after Bambi and
crew wiped out the neighborhood's plantings, but managed
to save the blueberries