Old 28-07-2018, 05:37 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default I need blackberry help

Hi All,

I can't get my blackberry seeds to grow anywhere, except this
one little sprouting pot.

https://ibb.co/b13zuT

Question: are these sprouts really blackberries, or has I
been nurturing a bunch of WEEDS?

If they are black berries, how soon do I transplant them? They
still look pretty fragile.

Many thanks,
-T
Old 28-07-2018, 01:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 7/27/2018 10:37 PM, T wrote:
Hi All,

I can't get my blackberry seeds to grow anywhere, except this
one little sprouting pot.

https://ibb.co/b13zuT

Question: are these sprouts really blackberries, or has I
been nurturing a bunch of WEEDS?

If they are black berries, how soon do I transplant them?Â* They
still look pretty fragile.

Many thanks,
-T

Â* Those ain't blackberries ... ours here (wild , but should hold true)
have squared stems and the leaves are more heart-shaped with sawtooth
edges . You'd probably be better off buying a plant from a local nursery
, they do spread readily . A fruit farm near here grows them , they hold
them between a pair of wires , trim the new growth each year to just
above the wires , and relentlessly clip suckers and dead canes . If
those weren't a patented variety I'd have brought some shoots home from
the pruning class we had there ... berries bigger than your thumb and no
thorns .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Old 28-07-2018, 02:31 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sat, 28 Jul 2018 06:38:07 -0500, Terry Coombs
wrote:

On 7/27/2018 10:37 PM, T wrote:
[...]

That picture is likely of purslane.
Old 28-07-2018, 02:46 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

T wrote:

i only know them here as woodland edge plants
that like to be in clearings made from fires or
whatever.

i've not ever heard of anyone growing them in
arid climate. not that it is impossible, but
just seems like you may be forcing square peg
into too small a round hole.

just my guess, perhaps others will have a
better take on it...

songbird
Old 28-07-2018, 04:17 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 7/27/2018 10:37 PM, T wrote:
Hi All,

I can't get my blackberry seeds to grow anywhere, except this
one little sprouting pot.

https://ibb.co/b13zuT

Question: are these sprouts really blackberries, or has I
been nurturing a bunch of WEEDS?

If they are black berries, how soon do I transplant them?Â* They
still look pretty fragile.

Many thanks,
-T

Those aren't blackberries. They look like a broad-leaf succulent moss rose.

--
Maggie

Old 28-07-2018, 04:18 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

On 7/27/2018 10:37 PM, T wrote:
[...]

yeah ... that's it ... kind of a cousin to moss rose.

--
Maggie
Old 29-07-2018, 02:53 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Saturday, July 28, 2018 at 12:56:52 PM UTC-4, songbird wrote:
T wrote:

i only know them here as woodland edge plants
that like to be in clearings made from fires or
whatever.

i've not ever heard of anyone growing them in
arid climate. not that it is impossible, but
just seems like you may be forcing square peg
into too small a round hole.

just my guess, perhaps others will have a
better take on it...

songbird

About ten years ago, I found several red raspberry patches while kayaking along the Susquehanna River. I dug up a few plants and transplanted them next to my garden. They didn't do well in captivity.

I also tried planting some of the seeds, which sprouted but then died out.

Paul
Old 29-07-2018, 06:59 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 07/28/2018 05:46 AM, songbird wrote:
T wrote:

i only know them here as woodland edge plants
that like to be in clearings made from fires or
whatever.

i've not ever heard of anyone growing them in
arid climate. not that it is impossible, but
just seems like you may be forcing square peg
into too small a round hole.

just my guess, perhaps others will have a
better take on it...

songbird

This is the critter. And I finally found someone that does plants.
I have zero luck with berry seeds.

https://www.gurneys.com/product/arapaho_blackberry

It says zone 5 to 9 and I am 6b.

I am all ears to any zone 6b berries!

Old 29-07-2018, 06:59 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

On 7/27/2018 10:37 PM, T wrote:
[...]

BUGGER !!!!

At least Purslane is edible.

Old 29-07-2018, 07:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

T wrote:
Hi All,

I can't get my blackberry seeds to grow anywhere, except this
one little sprouting pot.

https://ibb.co/b13zuT

Question: are these sprouts really blackberries, or has I
been nurturing a bunch of WEEDS?

you should know what purslane looks like by now?
i thought you grew a lot of it?

songbird

Old 29-07-2018, 07:15 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Pavel314 wrote:
About ten years ago, I found several red raspberry patches while kayaking along the Susquehanna River. I dug up a few plants and transplanted them next to my garden. They didn't do well in captivity.

they may if transplanted into a pot first and
then grown out before replanting.

I also tried planting some of the seeds, which sprouted but then died out.

note that black raspberry and red raspberry are quite
different plants than blackberry...

we can find red and black raspberries growing in almost
any sandy field that's been left to get overgrown a bit.
the birds move seeds all over. we have wild red raspberries
all around us. probably brought in from the neighbor's
patch that they grew for many years.

blackberries i love but won't likely ever grow them.
blueberries are much further up my list of someday plants.

songbird
Old 31-07-2018, 12:43 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 07/29/2018 10:15 AM, songbird wrote:
blackberries i love but won't likely ever grow them.
blueberries are much further up my list of someday plants.

You wouldn't happen to know anyone who grows bilberries for sale?
Old 31-07-2018, 01:04 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 07/29/2018 10:10 AM, songbird wrote:
T wrote:
Hi All,

I can't get my blackberry seeds to grow anywhere, except this
one little sprouting pot.

https://ibb.co/b13zuT

Question: are these sprouts really blackberries, or has I
been nurturing a bunch of WEEDS?

you should know what purslane looks like by now?
i thought you grew a lot of it?

songbird

It is similar looking in some respects, but not how
it looks as a sprout. For starters, purslane sprouts
are red.

The guys are getting big enough that they are starting
to form the second growth of leaves, so ....
Old 31-07-2018, 02:39 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

T wrote:
Hi All,

I can't get my blackberry seeds to grow anywhere, except this
one little sprouting pot.

https://ibb.co/b13zuT

Question: are these sprouts really blackberries, or has I
been nurturing a bunch of WEEDS?

Â*Â* you should know what purslane looks like by now?
i thought you grew a lot of it?

Â*Â* songbird

It is similar looking in some respects, but not how
it looks as a sprout.Â* For starters, purslane sprouts
are red.

The guys are getting big enough that they are starting
to form the second growth of leaves, so ....

And purslane sprouts have much thicker stocks and their leaves
are rolled up pointing skyward (and are red). The tops of
mature purslane comes in three, fours and fives for pedals,
not perfect fours.

That being said, the pedals on these things I am nursing
look EXACTLY like purslane pedals.

It won't hurt me to keep nursing them If they turn out
to be purslane, I will just eat them. I want to wait
until they start growing mature leaves and drop their
baby leaves.

Old 31-07-2018, 04:38 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

T wrote:
On 07/29/2018 10:15 AM, songbird wrote:
blackberries i love but won't likely ever grow them.
blueberries are much further up my list of someday plants.

You wouldn't happen to know anyone who grows bilberries for sale?

no, i've never looked for them, but a quick
search did find suppliers so you should be
able to find someone...

songbird