Old 28-07-2018, 05:49 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default This pepper is busting my chops!

Hi All,

This Anaheim pepper refuses to ripen!

https://ibb.co/gZG5Jo

He is scheduled to be added to mushrooms, onions, onlive
oil and tomatoes

Once they them cook up, I am going to then fresh zukes.

But he has apparently got wind of this and refused to
ripen!

How do farmers put up with the waiting!

-T

Old 28-07-2018, 01:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 7/27/2018 10:49 PM, T wrote:
Hi All,

This Anaheim pepper refuses to ripen!

https://ibb.co/gZG5Jo

He is scheduled to be added to mushrooms, onions, onlive
oil and tomatoes

Once they them cook up, I am going to then fresh zukes.

But he has apparently got wind of this and refused to
ripen!

How do farmers put up with the waiting!

-T

Â* We don't wait for them to ripen , I grow them for stuffed peppers
(this is the first successful year) . Got another batch that are all
between 5" and 6" that are about ready to pick ...

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Old 28-07-2018, 02:43 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

T wrote:
How do farmers put up with the waiting!

diversity.

there's always something to do out in the
gardens.

songbird
Old 29-07-2018, 07:00 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 07/28/2018 04:41 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
On 7/27/2018 10:49 PM, T wrote:
Hi All,

This Anaheim pepper refuses to ripen!

https://ibb.co/gZG5Jo

He is scheduled to be added to mushrooms, onions, onlive
oil and tomatoes

Once they them cook up, I am going to then fresh zukes.

But he has apparently got wind of this and refused to
ripen!

How do farmers put up with the waiting!

-T

Â* We don't wait for them to ripen , I grow them for stuffed peppers
(this is the first successful year) . Got another batch that are all
between 5" and 6" that are about ready to pick ...

What is considered ripe? All red or mostly red?

Old 29-07-2018, 01:22 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 7/27/2018 10:49 PM, T wrote:
Hi All,

This Anaheim pepper refuses to ripen!

https://ibb.co/gZG5Jo

He is scheduled to be added to mushrooms, onions, onlive
oil and tomatoes

Once they them cook up, I am going to then fresh zukes.

But he has apparently got wind of this and refused to
ripen!

How do farmers put up with the waiting!

-T

Â*Â* We don't wait for them to ripen , I grow them for stuffed peppers
(this is the first successful year) . Got another batch that are all
between 5" and 6" that are about ready to pick ...

What is considered ripe?Â* All red or mostly red?

Â* I don't know ... yet . This is the first year I've had any success
growing them . And much like your experiences with blackberries , I had
to get nursery plants because I couldn't get them going with seeds .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Old 29-07-2018, 07:08 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

T wrote:
What is considered ripe? All red or mostly red?

depends upon the pepper.

for a green pepper i consider them ripe when the
walls of the pepper have reached their maximum
thickness. you can sometimes tell this from the
heft of the pepper or by giving it a light squeeze.
if it is very firm and heavy then it's probably
good enough to pick.

for red peppers i wait until they are mostly red
on the plant, but if there is a lot of rain or frost
coming i'll pick them even fully green as they'll
finish getting red after they're picked. not the
same as leaving them on the plant, but good enough.

my peppers aren't doing great this year, but there's
still plenty of time yet.

i've never grown any for drying so i can't speak of
that at all...

songbird
Old 29-07-2018, 08:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 7/29/2018 12:08 PM, songbird wrote:
T wrote:
What is considered ripe? All red or mostly red?

depends upon the pepper.

for a green pepper i consider them ripe when the
walls of the pepper have reached their maximum
thickness. you can sometimes tell this from the
heft of the pepper or by giving it a light squeeze.
if it is very firm and heavy then it's probably
good enough to pick.

for red peppers i wait until they are mostly red
on the plant, but if there is a lot of rain or frost
coming i'll pick them even fully green as they'll
finish getting red after they're picked. not the
same as leaving them on the plant, but good enough.

my peppers aren't doing great this year, but there's
still plenty of time yet.

i've never grown any for drying so i can't speak of
that at all...

songbird

Â* Serranos dry very nicely , and are very tasty in many dishes . I use
waxed nylon carpet thread (from back when we hand stitched the seams) ,
make a slipknot and stick the stem in it . Got 20 threaded up and
hanging over in the corner right now ...

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old