Old 03-08-2018, 11:24 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default next year's garlic

Hi All,

Zone 6b

My purple grazer failed on me due to the warm weather in May.

Grow Organic says these two will go through the winter
and are somewhat tolerant of early warm weather.

FP538
https://www.groworganic.com/bogatyr-...-grown-lb.html

FP504
https://www.groworganic.com/garlic-m...rganic-lb.html

I love the comment on the Bogatyr:

Bogatyr is one of the spiciest varieties around
Better have your fire extinguisher ready ...

Would I be overdoing things a bit? I did adore how spicy
the Purple Glazers were when the stinkers didn't die on me!

Your thoughts?

Many thanks,
-T
Old 05-08-2018, 01:12 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

T wrote:
Would I be overdoing things a bit? I did adore how spicy
the Purple Glazers were when the stinkers didn't die on me!

Your thoughts?

garlic here is pretty easy to grow, i notice the
music garlic is sourced from MI. no idea how it will
do out there and in your soil/location because too
many variables. i've never been able to get rid of
all of it here, but mowing repeatedly is at least
keeping it from having such an easy life these days...

it will be back next year and for years after i'm
sure if we ever stop mowing. there's a lot of stored
energy in bulbs and they'll downsize each year when
conditions aren't great and then upsize any time
things improve. mainly by mowing we're avoiding
the scapes being able to spread new ones. eventually
i'll dig out the existing bulbs - just not this year.

the more formal garlic patch has been lifted
and is curing/drying in the garage. the chopped
up stalks and roots have been fed to the worm farm.
the worms always like feeding around the roots of
onions/garlics/alliums in general and they also
seem to really go after the left overs i feed them
in the buckets too. i suspect the sulphur compounds
taste good to them like they do to me...

songbird