GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   clippings? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/215638-clippings.html)

T[_4_] 15-08-2018 06:17 AM

clippings?

Hi All,

Three of my four Choke Berries (not cherries) are thriving.
The fourth died on me.

I read that Choke Berries can able propagate with clippings.
So, I clipped about an eight inch branch off the biggest one,
removed the leaves from the bottom four inches and stuck it
in the ground (where the dead one use to reside) up to about
four inches.

All the leaves died. But the branch is still green for over
two weeks now, so I keep watering it.

What should I have done differently?

Many thanks,
-T

Terry Coombs 15-08-2018 01:35 PM

clippings?

On 8/14/2018 11:17 PM, T wrote:
Hi All,

Three of my four Choke Berries (not cherries) are thriving.
The fourth died on me.

I read that Choke Berries can able propagate with clippings.
So, I clipped about an eight inch branch off the biggest one,
removed the leaves from the bottom four inches and stuck it
in the ground (where the dead one use to reside) up to about
four inches.

All the leaves died.Â* But the branch is still green for over
two weeks now, so I keep watering it.

What should I have done differently?

Many thanks,
-T

Lightly scraped the bark on the lower 2"-3" , dipped it in rooting
hormone , and planted it in a small flower pot . Water well , then cover
loosely with a plastic bag to retain moisture . Wait .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

songbird[_2_] 15-08-2018 04:16 PM

clippings?

Terry Coombs wrote:
Lightly scraped the bark on the lower 2"-3" , dipped it in rooting
hormone , and planted it in a small flower pot . Water well , then cover
loosely with a plastic bag to retain moisture . Wait .

and keep it mostly (95%)in the shade.

where T's at is likely to cook about
anything in the sun...

songbird

T[_4_] 16-08-2018 05:40 PM

clippings?

On 08/15/2018 07:16 AM, songbird wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:
Lightly scraped the bark on the lower 2"-3" , dipped it in rooting
hormone , and planted it in a small flower pot . Water well , then cover
loosely with a plastic bag to retain moisture . Wait .

and keep it mostly (95%)in the shade.

where T's at is likely to cook about
anything in the sun...

songbird

Ya, no fooling. Cooler actually that California's central valley.
We are the "high" desert.

This one gets some shade from a Ponderosa pine and a fence.

The branch is still green, so ...