Old 17-08-2018, 06:52 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default microbiome?

Hi All,

I just cleared two areas of failed stuff. It will sit
idle till next spring.

Well, not quite so idle. My microbiome will still be there.
Do I need to water my microbiome every so often? Or
just ignore the little guys?

Many thanks,
-T
Old 17-08-2018, 09:39 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

T wrote:
Hi All,

I just cleared two areas of failed stuff. It will sit
idle till next spring.

Well, not quite so idle. My microbiome will still be there.
Do I need to water my microbiome every so often? Or
just ignore the little guys?

you have 30 or more days, you can grow
radishes, buckwheat, field peas, turnips,
etc as a cover crop. if you don't eat them
just leave them in place until spring. that
will feed your soil and keep your soil
community active enough.

if you don't want to do that, give it a
squirt of water and put some cardboard over
it. will keep the weeds down and hold the
moisture in better than if you left it bare.

pretty much any time you can you should
grow something (harvesting free energy from
the sun and turning it into organic matter)
and not have bare soil. it also helps to
hold any extra nutrients in place so they
won't get wasted/washed/blown away.

songbird