GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   onion question (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/215662-onion-question.html)

T[_4_] 25-08-2018 01:45 AM

onion question

Hi All,

Is it better to buy seeds or these guys

https://www.groworganic.com/onion-tr...rganic-lb.html

My last attempt at onion seeds failed three times.

Do I presume correct that these are "over winter"?

Many thanks,
-T

songbird[_2_] 25-08-2018 01:13 PM

onion question

T wrote:
Hi All,

Is it better to buy seeds or these guys

in your climate and soil it is probably hard
due to water being too limited. not that you
need the place where you put the seeds to be
soaking wet all the time, but you do want it to
be moist and it may take a while (a week or two
even).

i would start the seeds in small pots and have
those enclosed to keep the moisture from easily
escaping.

https://www.groworganic.com/onion-tr...rganic-lb.html

My last attempt at onion seeds failed three times.

Do I presume correct that these are "over winter"?

looks like it.

note there are some pretty good links provided there
about how to grow onions. a regular watering, and
good soil/nutrients. for your T2 you may wish to
avoid the sweet onions anyways.

i have had good luck growing onions here but i usually
grow them in worm compost and they do great, but we
also have fairly good rains which help a lot with onions.

what i haven't had much luck with so far are the
green onions so just this past week i had a garden
friend send me some bunching onions to try out and
i planted them before we went on vacation. just
got back last night so i haven't had a chance to
check on them, but i think they'll be ok. i have
seeds for them and another variety to try so we'll
see how those go. the seeds are better planted
here in the early spring. in pots and transplanted
are the nicest results because then you can space
and place them exactly where you want them.

the other approach to onion seeds is to plant them
in row and run a rake through the seed line to spread
them back and forth and then after they sprout and
grow for a week or two to come back and thin them out
to space them even better.

for big onions you want them spaced far enough apart
that they don't shade or compete with each other for
moisture/nutrients.

songbird