GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   A couple of pretty pictures (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/215690-couple-pretty-pictures.html)

T[_4_] 05-09-2018 07:42 PM

A couple of pretty pictures

Zuke Flower:
https://ibb.co/ioP7Hz

Cherry Tomato and Light:
https://ibb.co/f1MUxz

songbird[_2_] 07-09-2018 02:55 PM

A couple of pretty pictures

T wrote:

Zuke Flower:
https://ibb.co/ioP7Hz

Cherry Tomato and Light:
https://ibb.co/f1MUxz

green stuff growing and almost the end of
summer! looks good to me. :) keep up the
good work...

shelling/picking beans here between rains.
now caught up on shelling so have to get out
an pick for the next few days while the rains
have let up and thing are drying out enough.

tomato harvest is mostly done, a few buckets
left to go, but otherwise the biggest pickings
are done.

squash needs to come in.

shelly beans in the limas are divine food. we
both love 'em and now i have a 2nd lima bean a
climbing red lima. the skin is a bit thicker but
the flavor is what counts and we both are good
with it so we'll see how many of these i can grow
on the fence because it's nice to have things
that grow up and out of the dirt... i can't
mulch everything as much as i'd like...

what else do you have growing these days? i
had an on-line friend send me some bunching onions
to try and they've done well (live transplants)
but i'm not sure how they'll do through the winter
so it will be a fun experiment when i have to
lift them and divide and replant and perhaps eat
some of them too.

i have to decide where to put the garlic for the
next crop.

songbird

T[_4_] 08-09-2018 01:36 AM

A couple of pretty pictures

On 09/07/2018 05:55 AM, songbird wrote:
T wrote:

Zuke Flower:
https://ibb.co/ioP7Hz

Cherry Tomato and Light:
https://ibb.co/f1MUxz

green stuff growing and almost the end of
summer! looks good to me. :) keep up the
good work...

I cheated. I only showed the part that was green.
A few on my zukes are pathetic on the old growth, but
the new growth is still producing fruit.

shelling/picking beans here between rains.
now caught up on shelling so have to get out
an pick for the next few days while the rains
have let up and thing are drying out enough.

tomato harvest is mostly done, a few buckets
left to go, but otherwise the biggest pickings
are done.

squash needs to come in.

Zukes this late? They are my first to come in.

Right of Passage. I gave away some zukes to my
neighbors who were tickled. Next step, their
back seat! (I am a long way away from being that good
at gardening!)

shelly beans in the limas are divine food. we
both love 'em and now i have a 2nd lima bean a
climbing red lima. the skin is a bit thicker but
the flavor is what counts and we both are good
with it so we'll see how many of these i can grow
on the fence because it's nice to have things
that grow up and out of the dirt... i can't
mulch everything as much as i'd like...

I have always hated lima beans. I wonder if garden
fresh would taste better. I know turnips tasted
worse, but that is the only one so far. And it is
something I will never know now with the T2.

This goes to my theory that the reason most folks don't
eat their vegi's is that they (store bought) taste
like hell.

what else do you have growing these days?

Cherry tomatoes, Anaheim peppers, Ichiban eggplant,
goji berries.

Took out two cups of Goji's two weeks in a row. Yes my
back hurt. Them guys sell for $24/lb for dried organic!
(and they hardly shrink at all when they are dried.)

had an on-line friend send me some bunching onions
to try and they've done well (live transplants)
but i'm not sure how they'll do through the winter
so it will be a fun experiment when i have to
lift them and divide and replant and perhaps eat
some of them too.

i have to decide where to put the garlic for the
next crop.

"Supposedly" this garlic will take the heat and not die off on me:
https://www.groworganic.com/bogatyr-...-grown-lb.html

I am bereft this year without and garden garlic!

songbird

songbird[_2_] 08-09-2018 03:27 AM

A couple of pretty pictures

T wrote:
songbird wrote:
T wrote:

Zuke Flower:
https://ibb.co/ioP7Hz

Cherry Tomato and Light:
https://ibb.co/f1MUxz

green stuff growing and almost the end of
summer! looks good to me. :) keep up the
good work...

I cheated. I only showed the part that was green.
A few on my zukes are pathetic on the old growth, but
the new growth is still producing fruit.

shelling/picking beans here between rains.
now caught up on shelling so have to get out
an pick for the next few days while the rains
have let up and thing are drying out enough.

tomato harvest is mostly done, a few buckets
left to go, but otherwise the biggest pickings
are done.

squash needs to come in.

Zukes this late? They are my first to come in.

no, we don't grow summer squash, it's all
buttercup and a buttercup crossbreed with pumpkin
by the looks of it (they're orange, orange green or
just green).

Right of Passage. I gave away some zukes to my
neighbors who were tickled. Next step, their
back seat! (I am a long way away from being that good
at gardening!)

shelly beans in the limas are divine food. we
both love 'em and now i have a 2nd lima bean a
climbing red lima. the skin is a bit thicker but
the flavor is what counts and we both are good
with it so we'll see how many of these i can grow
on the fence because it's nice to have things
that grow up and out of the dirt... i can't
mulch everything as much as i'd like...

I have always hated lima beans. I wonder if garden
fresh would taste better. I know turnips tasted
worse, but that is the only one so far. And it is
something I will never know now with the T2.

i can't say since i've always loved beans and
lima beans. canned stuff is pretty mushy, but
the fresh shelled lima beans when they're not
dried out yet and then boiled until done are
very good and can be cooked to desired firmness
and no salt needed to be added other than in
the butter. we've been eating a lot of them
lately now that i have a large patch of them
plus some growing on the fence.

This goes to my theory that the reason most folks don't
eat their vegi's is that they (store bought) taste
like hell.

sometimes in the past i've eaten plenty of
canned vegetables and used them just as fuel
and not worried too much about texture or flavor.
it was cheap and filling and much better than
fast food.

what else do you have growing these days?

Cherry tomatoes, Anaheim peppers, Ichiban eggplant,
goji berries.

Took out two cups of Goji's two weeks in a row. Yes my
back hurt. Them guys sell for $24/lb for dried organic!
(and they hardly shrink at all when they are dried.)

some time i'll have to try some. glad they've
worked out for you.

songbird

T[_4_] 08-09-2018 04:22 AM

A couple of pretty pictures

On 09/07/2018 06:27 PM, songbird wrote:
T wrote:
songbird wrote:

Took out two cups of Goji's two weeks in a row. Yes my
back hurt. Them guys sell for $24/lb for dried organic!
(and they hardly shrink at all when they are dried.)

some time i'll have to try some. glad they've
worked out for you.

They are "weird", but I like them. Only try a few. My sense
of taste is reset due to the ancestral diet. I can taste
sweetness where others can't and gag on what others consider
mildly sweet.