GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   What to do with old tomato vines? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/215756-what-do-old-tomato-vines.html)

T[_4_] 20-10-2018 11:57 AM

What to do with old tomato vines?

Plow them under or toss in the trash bin?

[email protected] 20-10-2018 03:42 PM

On Saturday, October 20, 2018 at 5:57:32 AM UTC-4, T wrote:
Plow them under or toss in the trash bin?

Old tomato vines can harbor disease that can over-winter. I suggest burning them or at least get them away from the garden.
Steve

songbird[_2_] 20-10-2018 11:00 PM

T wrote:
Plow them under or toss in the trash bin?

i always bury them, any organic matter for my soil
is better than none.

yes, we have diseases and bugs, but i rotate plant
every year so by the time i get back to the garden
where i've buried them it's usually ok.

it doesn't matter what i do for late blight. it
shows up every year. which is ok. by the time the
season is done we have enough tomatoes put up
anyways.

songbird

Pavel314[_2_] 21-10-2018 03:34 AM

What to do with old tomato vines?

On Saturday, October 20, 2018 at 5:57:32 AM UTC-4, T wrote:
Plow them under or toss in the trash bin?

We throw them on the compost pile.

Paul

T[_4_] 21-10-2018 08:22 AM

On 10/20/18 2:57 AM, T wrote:
Plow them under or toss in the trash bin?

Thank you all!

I usually do not rotate due to all the preparation involved.
So I will be tossing them in the trash bin. (I have no
compose bin. I bury in place.)

And I remember digging up stuff that have been buried in place
for three years, so I do not do that so much anymore. I
just fertilize my ass off. That has worked the best. I
use an organic chicken scat based dry fertilizer I get from
Wally World.

Weird, avacado pits are still popping out of the ground.
from three years ago. Took me forever to figure out what
they were.