Old 24-01-2019, 10:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Winter Harvest

Hi All,

Twice in a row now I have cuts stems of Rosemary for the
kitchen, right in the dead of winter. Some snow on
the ground too.

Man that plant is DEFENSIVE! All you have to do is touch
it and it lets loose with volatile oils like there was
no tomorrow. Cut off a stem and OH BOY !!! (Poor
guy does not realize humans like that scent.)

What ??? Cheating? It is a "evergreen" you say?

:-)

-T
Old 25-01-2019, 04:31 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

T wrote:

Hi All,

Twice in a row now I have cuts stems of Rosemary for the
kitchen, right in the dead of winter. Some snow on
the ground too.

Man that plant is DEFENSIVE! All you have to do is touch
it and it lets loose with volatile oils like there was
no tomorrow. Cut off a stem and OH BOY !!! (Poor
guy does not realize humans like that scent.)

What ??? Cheating? It is a "evergreen" you say?

:-)

-T

You've got to watch those bad boys too. They can get WAY
out of hand if not pruned brutally. Mine got so big it
was taking over not only the bed, but encroaching on my
driveway.

My zealous pruning proved too much though in the end and now
I need to replace it this spring. I may keep it in a pot to
prevent it from trying to take over again though.

Nyssa, who needs to drag her plant lights down from the
attic before the seed orders start rolling in

Old 25-01-2019, 05:23 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 1/25/2019 9:31 AM, Nyssa wrote:
T wrote:

[...]

Â* Mmmm , it IS that time of year again ennit . Right now my grow light
is being used as a light source over my handloading setup . Not with the
Gro-Lux bulbs though , just regular ones .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Old 25-01-2019, 08:57 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 1/24/2019 3:30 PM, T wrote:
Hi All,

Twice in a row now I have cuts stems of Rosemary for the
kitchen, right in the dead of winter.Â* Some snow on
the ground too.

Man that plant is DEFENSIVE!Â* All you have to do is touch
it and it lets loose with volatile oils like there was
no tomorrow.Â* Cut off a stem and OH BOY !!!Â* (Poor
guy does not realize humans like that scent.)

What ??? Cheating?Â* It is a "evergreen" you say?

:-)

-T

I'm just playing with bonsai trees and growing and multiplying a pitcher
plant and a string of pearls so my daughter can have the babies and grow
them herself.

--
Maggie
Old 26-01-2019, 04:54 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 1/25/19 7:31 AM, Nyssa wrote:
T wrote:

Hi All,

Twice in a row now I have cuts stems of Rosemary for the
kitchen, right in the dead of winter. Some snow on
the ground too.

Man that plant is DEFENSIVE! All you have to do is touch
it and it lets loose with volatile oils like there was
no tomorrow. Cut off a stem and OH BOY !!! (Poor
guy does not realize humans like that scent.)

What ??? Cheating? It is a "evergreen" you say?

:-)

-T

You've got to watch those bad boys too. They can get WAY
out of hand if not pruned brutally. Mine got so big it
was taking over not only the bed, but encroaching on my
driveway.

Hi Nyssa,

I have been clipping from the side that would affect
my garlic bed.

Did you happen to notice if the clipping acted like
a bug repellent? Say squash bugs and earwigs?

-T

Old 26-01-2019, 05:56 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 1/24/2019 3:30 PM, T wrote:
Hi All,

Twice in a row now I have cuts stems of Rosemary for the
kitchen, right in the dead of winter.Â* Some snow on
the ground too.

Man that plant is DEFENSIVE!Â* All you have to do is touch
it and it lets loose with volatile oils like there was
no tomorrow.Â* Cut off a stem and OH BOY !!!Â* (Poor
guy does not realize humans like that scent.)

What ??? Cheating?Â* It is a "evergreen" you say?

:-)

-T

I'm just playing with bonsai trees and growing and multiplying a pitcher
plant and a string of pearls so my daughter can have the babies and grow
them herself.

Any grand kids yet?

depends ... human grandbabies, yet - 3 ... plant grandbabies, not yet! haha

--
Maggie
Old 26-01-2019, 03:57 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

T wrote:

On 1/25/19 7:31 AM, Nyssa wrote:
T wrote:

[...]

No, I haven't tried that. The rosemary and herb bed was on
the side of house, not near the vegetable garden, so not
close enough to repel any nasties.

As strong as the rosemary scent is, it's worth a try. Maybe
I should have tried that with my pesky deer invaders while
I still had a huge plant with plenty of branches I could have
used.

Nyssa, who is still looking for ways to keep Bambi and company
out of her vegetables again this year

Old 26-01-2019, 07:06 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Nyssa wrote:
As strong as the rosemary scent is, it's worth a try. Maybe
I should have tried that with my pesky deer invaders while
I still had a huge plant with plenty of branches I could have
used.

Nyssa, who is still looking for ways to keep Bambi and company
out of her vegetables again this year

a 6-8ft fence...

songbird

Old 26-01-2019, 11:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Saturday, January 26, 2019 at 9:57:58 AM UTC-5, Nyssa wrote:
T wrote:

On 1/25/19 7:31 AM, Nyssa wrote:
T wrote:

[...]

We have a flock of sheep which seem to keep the deer away. One morning, I saw a few deer in the pasture; the head ram came charging at them and they ran away. I guess he didn't like those strange animals eating his flock's grass.

They don't bother the garden but sometimes, in the middle of a cold winter, they dig up and eat any beets that my wife hasn't harvested.

Paul
Old 26-01-2019, 11:52 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Pavel314 wrote:
We have a flock of sheep which seem to keep the deer away. One morning, I saw a few deer in the pasture; the head ram came charging at them and they ran away. I guess he didn't like those strange animals eating his flock's grass.

that would have been fun to see!

They don't bother the garden but sometimes, in the middle of a cold winter, they dig up and eat any beets that my wife hasn't harvested.

it is hard to believe they can smell anything with how
cold it can get at night, but they somehow manage to find
things.

songbird
Old 27-01-2019, 03:13 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 1/26/2019 7:18 PM, songbird wrote:
wrote:
songbird wrote:

i hope this coming cold blast doesn't get down that
far! this morning i woke up and checked the weather
station and it was -13F. i think we've made it up to
about 10 or so by now with the sun being out and it
being calm. the rest of the week has a bump up for a
day or two and then right back to colder again.

Temperatures have been pretty moderate so far this winter—no frozen
tomatoes or peas. I'm hoping those behind the front that's headed your
way follow the same pattern. Solid 60 ° on the front porch now
(more-or-less 2PM on Sat, 1-26) really overcast, though. If the clouds
stay, they'll help keep the nighttime temperature up.

it won't be too bad tonight. we're due for snow on
Mon/Tues but dunno how much yet, wind may be the issue.
going to have to get the propane company back soon.

songbird

Â* I just dial "which tree is next?" Was out today looking and found
several standing dead oaks that need to come out . Look like they'll be
fairly easy to get to with Rusty the Tractor . I recently bought an
electric chain sharpener , my saws have never cut this good before - my
filing fu sucks . Paid for itself (as compared to paying 6 bucks per)
with the first sharpening session .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Old 27-01-2019, 04:23 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:
songbird wrote:

[...]

I bought an electric chain sharpener after a few years of running up to the hardware to get the chains sharpened a few times a season. As you say, pays for itself quickly and makes cutting much easier. I think my new hip has settled down to where I can do some cutting this year.

Your sig line reminds me of a poster I saw at a gun show a while back:

No trespassing: I have a gun and a backhoe.

Paul