Old 08-02-2019, 07:56 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default April 15th cometh

Â* And I'm not talking about tax time , that's the date of our usual
last frost here . So today I dug out all the seeds , mounted the shelf
in the window and hung the grow light on it , and ordered some seedling
starter cells on eBay . When I talked to our nursery manager she says
the seeds they are a-comin' and should be here by mid-week . I'm
shooting for the last week of Feb to have all the stuff I want to start
early in starter cells . I'll be going a different direction this year
in regards to mulching for weed control . I've been using a heavy layer
of straw , and that works to keep weeds down . What it doesn't do is
prevent blight spores from being splashed up onto the plants when I
water . So this year I've decided to lay cardboard down around all my
seedlings as I plant . It too will decompose and enrich the soil and
slow evaporation just as the straw has - but - I don't think it will
help lighten the texture of the soil (clay/silt/rocks and gravel) so I
may put straw down too . Last year just as my tomatoes were hitting
their stride and producing well , the blight struck . And to add insult
to injury , the damn squirrels ate everything on the plants , right down
to the smallest green tomato . I have a plan for that too ...

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Old 09-02-2019, 03:03 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 2/8/2019 1:56 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
[...]

Thought you might get a kick out of this:

https://www.tomatoesareevil.com/
Old 09-02-2019, 04:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 2/9/2019 8:03 AM, Frank wrote:
On 2/8/2019 1:56 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Â*Â* And I'm not talking about tax time , that's the date of our usual
[...]

Â* Loved it !

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Old 27-02-2019, 08:28 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 2/8/19 10:56 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
And I'm not talking about tax time , that's the date of our usual last
frost here

We can't plant until the last week in May. Zone 6c

:'(

Old 27-02-2019, 02:48 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Wednesday, February 27, 2019 at 2:28:58 AM UTC-5, T wrote:
On 2/8/19 10:56 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
And I'm not talking about tax time , that's the date of our usual last
frost here

We can't plant until the last week in May. Zone 6c

:'(

We're in Zone 7a. My wife has already started a lot of seeds in the greenhouse and has moved some flats out to the cold frame. She'll probably start moving things out sometime in April.

Old 27-02-2019, 10:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 2/27/19 5:48 AM, Pavel314 wrote:
On Wednesday, February 27, 2019 at 2:28:58 AM UTC-5, T wrote:
On 2/8/19 10:56 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
And I'm not talking about tax time , that's the date of our usual last
frost here

We can't plant until the last week in May. Zone 6c

:'(

We're in Zone 7a. My wife has already started a lot of seeds in the greenhouse and has moved some flats out to the cold frame. She'll probably start moving things out sometime in April.

Greenhouse! THAT'S CHEATING !!! Wish I had one. :-)
Old 28-02-2019, 11:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 2/27/2019 1:28 AM, T wrote:
On 2/8/19 10:56 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
And I'm not talking about tax time , that's the date of our usual
last frost here

We can't plant until the last week in May.Â* Zone 6c

:'(

We're already thinking about putting out a cool weather garden using the
French Intensive method.

--
Maggie

Old 01-03-2019, 12:02 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 2/28/19 2:27 PM, Muggles wrote:
French Intensive method.

What is that?

In Paris they just simply opened their eyes and stared when
we spoke to them in French! We never did succeed in making
those idiots understand their own language.
-- Mark Twain, The Innocents Abroad
Old 01-03-2019, 02:47 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Wednesday, February 27, 2019 at 4:10:55 PM UTC-5, T wrote:
On 2/27/19 5:48 AM, Pavel314 wrote:
On Wednesday, February 27, 2019 at 2:28:58 AM UTC-5, T wrote:
On 2/8/19 10:56 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
And I'm not talking about tax time , that's the date of our usual last
frost here

We can't plant until the last week in May. Zone 6c

:'(

We're in Zone 7a. My wife has already started a lot of seeds in the greenhouse and has moved some flats out to the cold frame. She'll probably start moving things out sometime in April.

Greenhouse! THAT'S CHEATING !!! Wish I had one. :-)

I built the greenhouse on the south wall of the house. It's a simple 2x4 frame covered with double-walled polycarbonate panels. About 10 feet by 14 feet, with a 220 line from the main circuit breaker board to run the heater in the winter.
Old 01-03-2019, 03:46 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
T writes:
On 2/27/19 5:48 AM, Pavel314 wrote:

We're in Zone 7a. My wife has already started a lot of seeds in the greenhouse and has moved some flats out to the cold

frame. She'll probably start moving things out sometime in April.

Greenhouse! THAT'S CHEATING !!! Wish I had one. :-)

I've been dreaming of a greenhouse since the '60s. I suspect that
isn't happening.

But I have the grow lights in the basement. I was supposed to start
the tomatoes last week, but life happened. Definitely this weekend.

--
Drew Lawson | I'd like to find your inner child

Old 02-03-2019, 05:58 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 2/28/2019 5:02 PM, T wrote:
On 2/28/19 2:27 PM, Muggles wrote:
French Intensive method.

What is that?

It's an organic gardening method where you amend the top 10" +/- of the
place you want to plant with a truckload of cow manure mixed in with the
top soil, and then space everything half the normal distance you
normally would plant them.

For example, we had a raised bed about 4' deep and 6' long that went the
length of one section of our back yard fence.Â* We dug the dirt loose
about 10 inches deep, then tilled in a truck load of composted cow
manure. Next, I put heavy duty black plastic on top of the dirt and
secured it with gardening U-wires in the ground, poked holes in the
plastic and planted a dozen cabbage plants half the distance apart that
you'd normally plant those seedlings. We did that with broccoli,
cauliflower and cabbage in 3 separate beds. Once everything was planted
like that we spread pine bark mulch in between each seedling about 3
inches thick and made sure we poked drain holes in the plastic in
between the seedlings.

We grew cabbages so big they were hard to carry and ran out of people to
give them away, too.Â* The cauliflower and broccoli produced so much more
than we could ever use and didn't quit producing until it got hot in
early summer. Best garden result ever!

NO weeding - Rarely had to water because when it rained the water didn't
evaporate because of the black plastic and mulch on top of it. PLUS,
cabbage, cauliflower, and broccoli are heavy feeders and had no problem
getting everything they needed to produce a larger than normal harvest
in half the space.Â*

--
Maggie

Old 02-03-2019, 03:19 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Friday, March 1, 2019 at 11:58:30 PM UTC-5, Muggles wrote:
On 2/28/2019 5:02 PM, T wrote:
[...]

My wife uses the black plastic garden cloth method on some of her rows, cutting holes every so often to put the plants and leaving the plastic intact elsewhere to prevent weeds. One year, I decided to try that in the pumpkin patch and they all died early! I realized later that pumpkin vines put down roots every so often to get water for the far ends of the spread-out plants; when the roots on the extremities tried to get into the soil, they were stopped by the plastic.

Paul

Old 02-03-2019, 10:42 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 2/28/2019 5:02 PM, T wrote:
[...]

Learn something new every day!

--
Maggie

Old 03-03-2019, 12:22 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Pavel314 wrote:
My wife uses the black plastic garden cloth method on some of her rows, cutting holes every so often to put the plants and leaving the plastic intact elsewhere to prevent weeds. One year, I decided to try that in the pumpkin patch and they all died early! I realized later that pumpkin vines put down roots every so often to get water for the far ends of the spread-out plants; when the roots on the extremities tried to get into the soil, they were stopped by the plastic.

yeah, that would be an issue for some varieties of
squash/pumpkins. some are more bush type and don't
do that (we've not grown any of those here yet).

songbird
Old 03-03-2019, 06:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 3/3/2019 5:22 AM, songbird wrote:
Pavel314 wrote:
My wife uses the black plastic garden cloth method on some of her rows, cutting holes every so often to put the plants and leaving the plastic intact elsewhere to prevent weeds. One year, I decided to try that in the pumpkin patch and they all died early! I realized later that pumpkin vines put down roots every so often to get water for the far ends of the spread-out plants; when the roots on the extremities tried to get into the soil, they were stopped by the plastic.

yeah, that would be an issue for some varieties of
squash/pumpkins. some are more bush type and don't
do that (we've not grown any of those here yet).

songbird

I don't have enough space in my garden to plant pumpkin vines.Â* I can
only go so far UP with vine crops, and sometimes that still isn't enough
space.

--
Maggie