Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old 12-02-2019, 12:22 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Sep 2012
Posts: 637
Default Cardboard as mulch and other Q's

* I was just wondering if using cardboard instead of (or in addition
to) straw as mulch will help prevent stuff like squash borers from
attacking the plants . I'm doing it this year for other reasons , just
wondered if that might be a bonus . Got a few seeds in the dirt today ,
iceberg lettuce out in the garden and tomatoes and green peppers in
starter cells . I think this year I'll start my squashes indoors too ,
I've had lousy germination rates planting outside . But they grow fast ,
and I'm not sure how much lead time they need before planting out .
Suggestions ? 4 weeks ? 5 maybe ?

* I'm also looking for suggestions for a sweet corn variety . I'm going
to try some this year in hopes my wife can eat homegrown - we suspect
the Roundup used on commercial corn crops is the true culprit with her
corn "allergy" .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old
and crochety - and armed .
Get outta my woods !


  #2   Report Post  
Old 12-02-2019, 03:12 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,720
Default Cardboard as mulch and other Q's

Terry Coombs wrote:

* I was just wondering if using cardboard instead of (or in addition
to) straw as mulch will help prevent stuff like squash borers from
attacking the plants . I'm doing it this year for other reasons , just
wondered if that might be a bonus .


i don't know but my guess is not really likely to
make a difference. plant resistant varieties (buttercup,
rambo, trombonico, etc).

i'm not sure if growing plants in larger containers and
growing them longer will give them a tougher stem and a
harder target. i just don't notice them that much and when
i do see a lot more of them then it is time to rotate the
planting spot for them.


Got a few seeds in the dirt today ,
iceberg lettuce out in the garden and tomatoes and green peppers in
starter cells . I think this year I'll start my squashes indoors too ,
I've had lousy germination rates planting outside . But they grow fast ,
and I'm not sure how much lead time they need before planting out .
Suggestions ? 4 weeks ? 5 maybe ?


i've never started squash indoors here and peppers
are the opposite as we always get starts from the
greenhouse for those.

if you have poor germination rates on squash it is
probably not warmed up enough soil for them yet. if
the area is mulched pull back the mulch so the sun
can get to the soil and warm it up. then after they
are up and going you can put the mulch back some.


* I'm also looking for suggestions for a sweet corn variety . I'm going
to try some this year in hopes my wife can eat homegrown - we suspect
the Roundup used on commercial corn crops is the true culprit with her
corn "allergy" .


we eat so little of it these past few years that we
don't grow it. no problems with me from the sweet
corn varieties we've had (peaches and cream seems to
be one type i recall).

if you have critter problems corn is the one plant
we decided it just wasn't worth growing for how little
we eat it. raccoons all around us and no way for me
to easily fence them out for a few $. in order to
grow corn here we'd need a new fence with a very good
gate and electric hot wires to keep them from climbing
over (not worth the price in comparison to what else
we grow).


songbird
  #3   Report Post  
Old 12-02-2019, 03:54 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Sep 2012
Posts: 637
Default Cardboard as mulch and other Q's

On 2/11/2019 9:12 PM, songbird wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:

* I was just wondering if using cardboard instead of (or in addition
to) straw as mulch will help prevent stuff like squash borers from
attacking the plants . I'm doing it this year for other reasons , just
wondered if that might be a bonus .

i don't know but my guess is not really likely to
make a difference. plant resistant varieties (buttercup,
rambo, trombonico, etc).

i'm not sure if growing plants in larger containers and
growing them longer will give them a tougher stem and a
harder target. i just don't notice them that much and when
i do see a lot more of them then it is time to rotate the
planting spot for them.


Got a few seeds in the dirt today ,
iceberg lettuce out in the garden and tomatoes and green peppers in
starter cells . I think this year I'll start my squashes indoors too ,
I've had lousy germination rates planting outside . But they grow fast ,
and I'm not sure how much lead time they need before planting out .
Suggestions ? 4 weeks ? 5 maybe ?

i've never started squash indoors here and peppers
are the opposite as we always get starts from the
greenhouse for those.

if you have poor germination rates on squash it is
probably not warmed up enough soil for them yet. if
the area is mulched pull back the mulch so the sun
can get to the soil and warm it up. then after they
are up and going you can put the mulch back some.


* I'm also looking for suggestions for a sweet corn variety . I'm going
to try some this year in hopes my wife can eat homegrown - we suspect
the Roundup used on commercial corn crops is the true culprit with her
corn "allergy" .

we eat so little of it these past few years that we
don't grow it. no problems with me from the sweet
corn varieties we've had (peaches and cream seems to
be one type i recall).


* A neighbor gave me some seeds of that variety ! Of course it was a
couple of years back , don't know what the germ rate might be now .
Probably best to buy new . I'm buying new for some other stuff too ,
open pollination has resulted in some odd stuff - squashes in particular .

if you have critter problems corn is the one plant
we decided it just wasn't worth growing for how little
we eat it. raccoons all around us and no way for me
to easily fence them out for a few $. in order to
grow corn here we'd need a new fence with a very good
gate and electric hot wires to keep them from climbing
over (not worth the price in comparison to what else
we grow).


songbird


* Raccoons and corn seems to be a recurring theme ... I'll probably
have to upgrade parts of my chicken wire and electric setup . Because we
do have a pretty large 'coon population here .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old
and crochety - and armed .
Get outta my woods !

  #4   Report Post  
Old 13-02-2019, 12:43 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,720
Default Cardboard as mulch and other Q's

Terry Coombs wrote:
songbird wrote:


....re sweet corn...

we eat so little of it these past few years that we
don't grow it. no problems with me from the sweet
corn varieties we've had (peaches and cream seems to
be one type i recall).


* A neighbor gave me some seeds of that variety ! Of course it was a
couple of years back , don't know what the germ rate might be now .
Probably best to buy new . I'm buying new for some other stuff too ,
open pollination has resulted in some odd stuff - squashes in particular .


that would seem rather strange because you say you
are in an isolated area from surrounding gardens/
gardeners. unless the seed had already been crossed
when sent to you to begin with.

here the local pollinators for the squash are the
mostly native bees/bumblebees/mason bees which are
great to see IMO. i wish we had more of them about.
i always want to grow some squash/cucumbers just to
give them more early season source of food (later
season the cosmos work for that for them).


if you have critter problems corn is the one plant
we decided it just wasn't worth growing for how little
we eat it. raccoons all around us and no way for me
to easily fence them out for a few $. in order to
grow corn here we'd need a new fence with a very good
gate and electric hot wires to keep them from climbing
over (not worth the price in comparison to what else
we grow).


* Raccoons and corn seems to be a recurring theme ... I'll probably
have to upgrade parts of my chicken wire and electric setup . Because we
do have a pretty large 'coon population here .


you will. if you are the only clearing in the woods
and trying to grow corn you're going to be a magnet
for them (and never be able to trap them enough to
remove them as a potential threat).

that is one thing i've learned here. it is useless
to try to trap out any species that is around here.
we can have fields on three sides of us growing corn
and the raccoons will still eat corn from our gardens
if we plant it.

in an armageddon situation we could likely get all
of our meat needs met by small game trapping. there's
at least a half dozen rabbits out there right now and
tons of tracks even in the new snow we've had.


songbird
  #5   Report Post  
Old 13-02-2019, 01:47 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Sep 2012
Posts: 637
Default Cardboard as mulch and other Q's

On 2/13/2019 6:43 AM, songbird wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:
songbird wrote:

...re sweet corn...

we eat so little of it these past few years that we
don't grow it. no problems with me from the sweet
corn varieties we've had (peaches and cream seems to
be one type i recall).

* A neighbor gave me some seeds of that variety ! Of course it was a
couple of years back , don't know what the germ rate might be now .
Probably best to buy new . I'm buying new for some other stuff too ,
open pollination has resulted in some odd stuff - squashes in particular .

that would seem rather strange because you say you
are in an isolated area from surrounding gardens/
gardeners. unless the seed had already been crossed
when sent to you to begin with.


* Many of the seeds I have came from our annual Ozark Seed Swap , and
(deity of choice) knows exactly what has been pollinated by what .



here the local pollinators for the squash are the
mostly native bees/bumblebees/mason bees which are
great to see IMO. i wish we had more of them about.
i always want to grow some squash/cucumbers just to
give them more early season source of food (later
season the cosmos work for that for them).


if you have critter problems corn is the one plant
we decided it just wasn't worth growing for how little
we eat it. raccoons all around us and no way for me
to easily fence them out for a few $. in order to
grow corn here we'd need a new fence with a very good
gate and electric hot wires to keep them from climbing
over (not worth the price in comparison to what else
we grow).

* Raccoons and corn seems to be a recurring theme ... I'll probably
have to upgrade parts of my chicken wire and electric setup . Because we
do have a pretty large 'coon population here .

you will. if you are the only clearing in the woods
and trying to grow corn you're going to be a magnet
for them (and never be able to trap them enough to
remove them as a potential threat).

that is one thing i've learned here. it is useless
to try to trap out any species that is around here.
we can have fields on three sides of us growing corn
and the raccoons will still eat corn from our gardens
if we plant it.

in an armageddon situation we could likely get all
of our meat needs met by small game trapping. there's
at least a half dozen rabbits out there right now and
tons of tracks even in the new snow we've had.


songbird


* I'm more inclined to try to prevent them from reaching the corn to
begin with - knowing that it's an uphill battle all the way . But hey
I've got something they don't have - opposable thumbs ! Hey wait
raccoons don't ... do they ?* Anyway , this is the first time I'm trying
corn , and may be the last if my wife still can't eat it . We're hoping
that growing it without drenching it in Roundup will let her eat it .
She likes corn , but store-bought causes digestive issues . If she still
can't have it it's not worth my time to grow it .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old
and crochety - and armed .
Get outta my woods !



  #6   Report Post  
Old 13-02-2019, 11:50 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,720
Default Cardboard as mulch and other Q's

Terry Coombs wrote:

....squash seed diversity...

hey, that sounds pretty good to me as if it
were grown in that area then at least the plants
may be somewhat adapted to the conditions.


....
* I'm more inclined to try to prevent them from reaching the corn to
begin with - knowing that it's an uphill battle all the way . But hey
I've got something they don't have - opposable thumbs ! Hey wait
raccoons don't ... do they ?* Anyway , this is the first time I'm trying
corn , and may be the last if my wife still can't eat it . We're hoping
that growing it without drenching it in Roundup will let her eat it .
She likes corn , but store-bought causes digestive issues . If she still
can't have it it's not worth my time to grow it .


i would buy some this summer from an organic grower
and make sure they're not using a seed source that
is glyphosate resistant.

better would be to ask around for someone who is
an organic grower that people actually know and who
does actually grow it themself organically.


songbird


Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Laying salt and cardboard to deal with invasion john west[_2_] United Kingdom 5 28-11-2018 12:02 PM
Cardboard and manure instead of digging Baz[_4_] United Kingdom 0 21-03-2012 01:52 PM
Cardboard and Shredders 'Mike'[_4_] United Kingdom 3 18-07-2011 11:39 AM
cardboard in compost Sheila United Kingdom 4 20-09-2008 11:35 PM
Composting card and cardboard question Broadback United Kingdom 3 22-06-2008 11:46 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:44 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2019 GardenBanter.co.uk.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Gardening"

 

Copyright © 2017