Old 16-02-2019, 07:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens.edible

Default Stevia Rebaundia seed storage

I'm learning that search engines are out to sell me stuff; not to help
me find things...
(rant over. for now)
I'm trying to find out if Stevia seed can be stored, well dried and
sealed, in the freezer. I know it's fairly short-lived and spotty on
germination. We grew it several years ago; a few plants provide more
dried and ground leaves than the sweetest tooth could need, but now to
try again with online purchased seed.
Did I mention that I'm ....erm... economical?

Many thanks,

---

Old 16-02-2019, 09:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens.edible

On 2/16/2019 12:55 PM, Gary Woods wrote:
I'm learning that search engines are out to sell me stuff; not to help
me find things...
(rant over. for now)
I'm trying to find out if Stevia seed can be stored, well dried and
sealed, in the freezer. I know it's fairly short-lived and spotty on
germination. We grew it several years ago; a few plants provide more
dried and ground leaves than the sweetest tooth could need, but now to
try again with online purchased seed.
Did I mention that I'm ....erm... economical?

Many thanks,

Â* I prefer "frugal" ... we are too . I don't know anything about stevia
but in general seed that is stored frozen maintains a higher percentage
of viable seeds .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Old 17-02-2019, 03:07 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Gary Woods wrote:

I'm learning that search engines are out to sell me stuff; not to help
me find things...
(rant over. for now)
I'm trying to find out if Stevia seed can be stored, well dried and
sealed, in the freezer. I know it's fairly short-lived and spotty on
germination. We grew it several years ago; a few plants provide more
dried and ground leaves than the sweetest tooth could need, but now to
try again with online purchased seed.
Did I mention that I'm ....erm... economical?

i'm out of the loop with this plant. i don't
even know if it is an annual or perennial or
what...

that said:

no luck with rooting cuttings and keeping
them indoors for the winter?

(and did you move to the UK? or why the crosspost?)

if i were a grower i'd be happy to send you a
few rooted plants in the mail once it warmed up a
bit (take the dirt off the roots, wrap in moist paper
towel, put in plastic bag then envelope, many small
plants will survive the trip if they're not frozen).

songbird
Old 19-02-2019, 04:39 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sun, 17 Feb 2019 09:07:02 -0500, songbird
wrote:

no luck with rooting cuttings and keeping
them indoors for the winter?

(and did you move to the UK? or why the crosspost?)

Haven't tried overwintering cuttings, though I do that with Rosemary;
it doesn't survive my winters.
I normally lurk in the UK group, but they have a lot of expertise, so
a good place to ask.

I got 1-count 'em, 1- seedling from some commercial seed; waiting on
germination from seeds from another source (I'm nothing if not
stubborn/exacting/obsessed)
If I can't find anything else, I'll put part of the seeds I just got
(if they germinate at all) well-sealed in the freezer just to see.

Thanks for the help, all! Currently 12F outside with bright sun.

Cheers!

---

Old 27-02-2019, 08:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens.edible

On 2/16/19 10:55 AM, Gary Woods wrote:
I'm learning that search engines are out to sell me stuff; not to help
me find things...
(rant over. for now)
I'm trying to find out if Stevia seed can be stored, well dried and
sealed, in the freezer. I know it's fairly short-lived and spotty on
germination. We grew it several years ago; a few plants provide more
dried and ground leaves than the sweetest tooth could need, but now to
try again with online purchased seed.
Did I mention that I'm ....erm... economical?

Many thanks,

Hi Gary,

No idea.

I am curious if home grown stevia has that saccharine/gasoline
after taste?

-T

Stevia: monoecious or dioecious? Billy[_7_] Edible Gardening 6 28-06-2009 06:39 PM
Stevia: monoecious or dioecious? Billy[_7_] Gardening 0 27-06-2009 01:30 AM
Stevia Arviragus Edible Gardening 6 30-05-2004 12:06 AM
Stevia larry Edible Gardening 8 08-12-2003 08:12 AM
stevia query whiteMemphis Plant Science 1 26-04-2003 02:26 PM