GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Stevia Rebaundia seed storage (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/215907-stevia-rebaundia-seed-storage.html)

Gary Woods[_2_] 16-02-2019 07:55 PM

Stevia Rebaundia seed storage

I'm learning that search engines are out to sell me stuff; not to help
me find things...
(rant over. for now)
I'm trying to find out if Stevia seed can be stored, well dried and
sealed, in the freezer. I know it's fairly short-lived and spotty on
germination. We grew it several years ago; a few plants provide more
dried and ground leaves than the sweetest tooth could need, but now to
try again with online purchased seed.
Did I mention that I'm ....erm... economical?

Many thanks,

---

Terry Coombs 16-02-2019 09:30 PM

On 2/16/2019 12:55 PM, Gary Woods wrote:
I'm learning that search engines are out to sell me stuff; not to help
me find things...
(rant over. for now)
I'm trying to find out if Stevia seed can be stored, well dried and
sealed, in the freezer. I know it's fairly short-lived and spotty on
germination. We grew it several years ago; a few plants provide more
dried and ground leaves than the sweetest tooth could need, but now to
try again with online purchased seed.
Did I mention that I'm ....erm... economical?

Many thanks,

Â* I prefer "frugal" ... we are too . I don't know anything about stevia
but in general seed that is stored frozen maintains a higher percentage
of viable seeds .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

songbird[_2_] 17-02-2019 03:07 PM

Gary Woods wrote:

I'm learning that search engines are out to sell me stuff; not to help
me find things...
(rant over. for now)
I'm trying to find out if Stevia seed can be stored, well dried and
sealed, in the freezer. I know it's fairly short-lived and spotty on
germination. We grew it several years ago; a few plants provide more
dried and ground leaves than the sweetest tooth could need, but now to
try again with online purchased seed.
Did I mention that I'm ....erm... economical?

i'm out of the loop with this plant. i don't
even know if it is an annual or perennial or
what...

that said:

no luck with rooting cuttings and keeping
them indoors for the winter?

(and did you move to the UK? or why the crosspost?)

if i were a grower i'd be happy to send you a
few rooted plants in the mail once it warmed up a
bit (take the dirt off the roots, wrap in moist paper
towel, put in plastic bag then envelope, many small
plants will survive the trip if they're not frozen).

songbird

Gary Woods[_2_] 19-02-2019 04:39 PM

Stevia Rebaundia seed storage

On Sun, 17 Feb 2019 09:07:02 -0500, songbird
wrote:

no luck with rooting cuttings and keeping
them indoors for the winter?

(and did you move to the UK? or why the crosspost?)

Haven't tried overwintering cuttings, though I do that with Rosemary;
it doesn't survive my winters.
I normally lurk in the UK group, but they have a lot of expertise, so
a good place to ask.

I got 1-count 'em, 1- seedling from some commercial seed; waiting on
germination from seeds from another source (I'm nothing if not
stubborn/exacting/obsessed)
If I can't find anything else, I'll put part of the seeds I just got
(if they germinate at all) well-sealed in the freezer just to see.

Thanks for the help, all! Currently 12F outside with bright sun.

Cheers!

---

T[_4_] 27-02-2019 08:28 AM

On 2/16/19 10:55 AM, Gary Woods wrote:
I'm learning that search engines are out to sell me stuff; not to help
me find things...
(rant over. for now)
I'm trying to find out if Stevia seed can be stored, well dried and
sealed, in the freezer. I know it's fairly short-lived and spotty on
germination. We grew it several years ago; a few plants provide more
dried and ground leaves than the sweetest tooth could need, but now to
try again with online purchased seed.
Did I mention that I'm ....erm... economical?

Many thanks,

Hi Gary,

No idea.

I am curious if home grown stevia has that saccharine/gasoline
after taste?

-T