Old 03-03-2019, 07:19 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Growing strawberries vertically that winter well

I have been asked for thoughts on growing strawberries vertically to
save space for our garden. Raised on a farm, I know how to do that
in-ground, but have no idea how to do it vertically and still have the
plants productive for a few years after some N.Y. winters. Any
suggestions on how to do this?

I have looked at the plastic strawberry towers, but have been told they
are a one-shot deal. Some have said to move them into an un-heated
garage for the winter and they will be fine. Anyone done this successfully?

Thanks,
Dave
Old 04-03-2019, 07:17 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Dave wrote:
I have been asked for thoughts on growing strawberries vertically to
save space for our garden. Raised on a farm, I know how to do that
in-ground, but have no idea how to do it vertically and still have the
plants productive for a few years after some N.Y. winters. Any
suggestions on how to do this?

I have looked at the plastic strawberry towers, but have been told they
are a one-shot deal. Some have said to move them into an un-heated
garage for the winter and they will be fine. Anyone done this successfully?

no i've not done this, but i grow a lot of strawberries
in the normal fashion on the ground and suspect you could
go one or two levels without too much issue in terms of
loss of production as long as the stems between the plants
are not damaged.

having seen strawberry plants growing in very little
other than crushed limestone mulch and still flowering
they may do ok just hanging.

i would guess how much stress the plants might get from
the wind and sun and how they get their water would be
important as the fruiting quality is dependent upon there
being enough water and the right temperatures.

songbird
Old 05-03-2019, 03:54 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Monday, March 4, 2019 at 1:32:18 PM UTC-5, songbird wrote:
Dave wrote:
[...]

I was unable to tend the strawberry patch last year and now my wife wants to turn it into an asparagus bed. I was thinking of transplanting whatever strawberry plants are left along the rows in the vineyard, so that they can grow beneath the grapes.
Old 05-03-2019, 02:01 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Pavel314 wrote:
I was unable to tend the strawberry patch last year and now my wife wants to turn it into an asparagus bed. I was thinking of transplanting whatever strawberry plants are left along the rows in the vineyard, so that they can grow beneath the grapes.

sounds ok, they may not produce a huge amount of
berries, but will survive and grow towards the light.

one experiment i did very early when starting out
with strawberries was using beans/soybean plants to
keep them along the edges of the garden for a season.
it worked pretty well.

most strawberry patches need to be redone after
three years anyways to keep the plants producing
well. once you can see/feel that crown being really
extended you know it is time (at least for most
varieties i've taken care of - i'm not sure of
the habit of the alpine strawberries). i just turn
them all under after picking out enough to replant.
it's pretty rare i don't have enough plants to
work with...

they are forest land edge plants that take
advantage of any clearings that happen from storms
or fires. they produce the most in full light
and high organic content soils. pick often and
remove all berries that are ripe even if they are
damaged and laying on the ground. that way you
can avoid a lot of the fungal/bug problems and
won't need to use any sprays.

some diseases i've not seen yet, but we do get
black spots on the leaves when the plants have
gotten to the middle of summer. the leaves will
die back and then when the next round of growth
happens the plants are fine. i don't consider it
worth it to spray for a cosmetic issue. all plants
go through stages and fungi are a natural means of
recycling that energy from the sun.

it will be interesting to see how the newly
redone patch will survive this winter. my attempt
last year was too late and almost all the plants
didn't survive. this year the plants had a few
months before the really cold weather to get
ready for the winter, but it has been a pretty
cold one...

songbird

Well well! mark United Kingdom 6 12-03-2009 12:51 AM
Well well! Gordon H[_3_] United Kingdom 0 11-03-2009 11:23 PM
Well well! Judith in France United Kingdom 0 11-03-2009 06:40 PM
Plants growing fast vertically but not sidewards Boe Freshwater Aquaria Plants 3 19-10-2004 12:51 AM
Cucumbers grown vertically Andy N Edible Gardening 10 31-01-2003 07:22 PM