Old 14-04-2019, 03:54 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default normal spring weather

yesterday sunny and windy, but warm enough to
get out and get some gardening done.

today snowing.

several years ago (maybe 5 years even) i had this
area that was getting full of grasses growing along
the edge of the green manure patch. so i dug out
what i could and piled it up thinking i would be able
to go through the pile and remove the grass roots
and then level it all back out.

then life happened and that pile remained until i
could get back to it and of course it became a pile
of grassy dirt instead.

yesterday i finally got it at least flattened and
put back to where it was removed from and also filled
in some other holes that were around there that should
not have been there (we don't need any more hazards
around here than we already have).

while i was back there i also cleaned up a few other
things, but the whole garden could use being turned and
replanted. i kinda doubt i'll have that much time this
season either. there's still clumps of garlic growing
through that space i'd like to remove - i try to get
rid of a few feet each year so i can eventually have it
gone.

then there are three projects sitting there waiting
for me to get back to them (from last fall) and of
course getting gardens ready for planting for this spring
and such. if i'm lucky i get enough breaks in the
weather to get a lot done in the spring or fall, but it
isn't looking like that will happen this year. the next
week is forecast for rain/snow/both pretty much every
day.

i was going to get peas planted but i think with the
weather forecast being cool and too wet i'll wait a
week longer.

it was nice enough last week where i could finish up
a patch inside the fence that was left last fall. that
puts all of the fenced area back there in good shape
for light weeding/planting.

songbird
Old 15-04-2019, 01:28 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
songbird writes:
yesterday sunny and windy, but warm enough to
get out and get some gardening done.

I wasn't as productive as you, but compared to last year, yesterday
was productive.

Last weekend, I stripped off the deer fence so that I could till
all the way to the edge. That included cutting all the stuff
incroaching from the neighbor's yard. (I hate wild grape vine.)

Yesterday, the weather allowed tilling. Had to get it done in one
day, given the forecast. But this pudgy couch potato managed. Even
got the fencing reattached to the posts. (That needs a better
concept for the older year that are upcoming.) Hopefully my stamina
will improve as the gardening year progresses and the muscles adapt.

Oh! And I got my red currant plants in the ground. Still can't
get black currants in Ohio, but I'll be happy with red -- in 2-4
years, given that they are 3" tall.

today snowing.

Today was scattered thunderstorms (and a tornado watch). But in
the intervals between downpours I managed to get all the piles of
brush -- the grape invasions, the excess redbuds, and the attempted
pawpaw expansion -- into the truck. Back and knees permitting,
after work tomorrow I'll drop them off at the county yard waste
site, and load my first truckful of mulch for the year. The tilled
garden takes about 12 trips to mulch. Last year I went ahead and
planted before it was all mulched, the weeds got ahead, and I never
got things contained.

Hoping to avoid that this year.

i was going to get peas planted but i think with the
weather forecast being cool and too wet i'll wait a
week longer.

The way spring is tending around here, I think I've already missed
the window for peas. I intended to till at the beginning of March,
but wasn't dedicated enough. If I had, peas would be in the ground.
Maybe next year. If so, sugar peas are on the menu.

songbird

--
Drew Lawson | What is an "Oprah"?

Old 17-04-2019, 02:44 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Drew Lawson wrote:
songbird writes:

yesterday sunny and windy, but warm enough to
get out and get some gardening done.

I wasn't as productive as you, but compared to last year, yesterday
was productive.

Last weekend, I stripped off the deer fence so that I could till
all the way to the edge. That included cutting all the stuff
incroaching from the neighbor's yard. (I hate wild grape vine.)

yeah, wild grape vines can take down a fence.
i finally had enough of it last year along one
area and spent a lot of time clearing it along
one half of the bank, but could not get the
rest done in time. i've also cleared most of
it out of the north hedge but it looks like i
missed a vine i'll have to go back in there.
i have to check that hedge once in a while for
poison ivy too so...

i'm hoping it won't be coming back this year
or that i can get back along those areas to remove
any new vines that try to show up.

Yesterday, the weather allowed tilling. Had to get it done in one
day, given the forecast. But this pudgy couch potato managed. Even
got the fencing reattached to the posts. (That needs a better
concept for the older year that are upcoming.) Hopefully my stamina
will improve as the gardening year progresses and the muscles adapt.

that's how it goes for me as long as i don't
injure myself or make current issues worse. at
the moment it's been rain/rain/rain so not much
is getting done outside other than once in a
while plinking at the last three grackles that
are being more persistent than the rest (which
seem to have gotten the message and gone elsewhere
to nest).

Oh! And I got my red currant plants in the ground. Still can't
get black currants in Ohio, but I'll be happy with red -- in 2-4
years, given that they are 3" tall.

we had a friend who made jelly out of them
and it was ok, but i've never grown them myself.
if i ever get the north hedge properly fixed my
plan would be to put a decent fence along there
and then put in a line of blueberries because
those are so good to have fresh.

today snowing.

Today was scattered thunderstorms (and a tornado watch). But in
the intervals between downpours I managed to get all the piles of
brush -- the grape invasions, the excess redbuds, and the attempted
pawpaw expansion -- into the truck. Back and knees permitting,
after work tomorrow I'll drop them off at the county yard waste
site, and load my first truckful of mulch for the year. The tilled
garden takes about 12 trips to mulch. Last year I went ahead and
planted before it was all mulched, the weeds got ahead, and I never
got things contained.

cardboard can do in a pinch.

Hoping to avoid that this year.

i was going to get peas planted but i think with the
weather forecast being cool and too wet i'll wait a
week longer.

The way spring is tending around here, I think I've already missed
the window for peas. I intended to till at the beginning of March,
but wasn't dedicated enough. If I had, peas would be in the ground.
Maybe next year. If so, sugar peas are on the menu.

rain and cold still in the forecast so i'll be
waiting for a bit more warmth and less rain... the
clay is a mess if it gets this much rain and i'm
better off not trying to do much.

songbird

Spring weather? Sacha United Kingdom 15 04-07-2007 02:36 PM
Online Plant store with normal Priority Shipping? Chuck Gadd Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 20-04-2003 07:09 AM
Green Severum, 8", Pulling out plants - Normal? Mary Karr Freshwater Aquaria Plants 2 11-03-2003 08:54 AM
Is this "normal"? Keymoo United Kingdom 7 02-01-2003 04:24 PM